Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size double handed fly rod should I get?

• 21-06-2016 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am starting salmon fly fishing. I am going to get a double handed fly rod and I would use it on rivers like the blackwater and probably the Lee. But I may also use it on the shore of a small lake but still need casting distance. The lake is medium more than small but it's too small for a boat so it's only shore. Or are double handed rods only for spring fishing. I will be also fishing small spate rivers but I could probably just use a single handed for that due to the size I'd say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Spend some money on a casting lesson. I don't fish for Salmon very often and I bought a double handed rod I've used it twice in five years and even then I would have been fine with my single handed rods. Do think you'd get much use out of it? If you're struggling for distance at the lake you fish the casting lesson might help. Can you double haul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

The heaviest single handed I have is a 10 foot 7 weight. I never got a casting lesson but I think I need one to highlight faults and I would love to learn how to double haul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thats should be a pretty powerful rod and well able for some salmon fishing. I think if you spend some money on a casting lesson it would be a much better investment for you. You should be able to cast a good bit further afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have two double hand rods that I almost never use. Waste of money. I fish mostly single handed rods, and have a 10.5 foot switch rod for salmon that is more than enough for most Irish rivers. The switch could also be used to get a bit more distance from the lake shore I guess...

What weight switch rod? The thing is I don't have any casting instructors around me and would have to travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    What weight switch rod? The thing is I don't have any casting instructors around me and would have to travel

http://apgai-ireland.ie/docs/single-double-handed-instruction/

I to have a Switch I'd reccmomend that a Shakespeare Oracle switch, but You have to get some instruction as it mends out faults, my first season With a Double handed rod i didn't get instruction it was painful to tell you the truth, then got 2 lessons and bingo I can cast fairly good, I must say lessons are well worth the money and time..

I to have a Switch I'd reccmomend that a Shakespeare Oracle switch, but You have to get some instruction as it mends out faults, my first season With a Double handed rod i didn't get instruction it was painful to tell you the truth, then got 2 lessons and bingo I can cast fairly good, I must say lessons are well worth the money and time..

I know they are but I live in Tralee area of kerry and there's no one close to me to give me instructions. I'd love to tho

I know they are but I live in Tralee area of kerry and there's no one close to me to give me instructions. I'd love to tho

I'd Stick with the singler hander untill you get a lesson tbh, I've caught a salmon on 9 foot 6 weight that 10' 7 weight will be fine for most rivers, the only advantage of DH rod is that you can cast where there's trees or obstacles

Ya thats the thing. Would a roll cast get rid of this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stick with the single you have and get lessons. Contact the local club and someone will give you a lesson. Walk before you try to run and stick with one method for a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Alright I guess that is good advice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Olwas2014
    if you're going to the Munster Blackwater - and you mean downriver - with a single handed rod you're taking a fly swatter to smack an elephant.

Upriver say Ballygarrett and up, or in low water conditions the divisions get blurred, smaller becomes better and works in bigger water and so on.

The long rod is not just for casting distance, it's for presentation control, fishing from high banks. It's for "reach".

In particular, we want to be able to reach over a fast spinal flow through slower water. If you are on the outside of a bend reach is also necessary in all but the slowest of flow rates, in order to slow the traverse of your fly down.

Your 10 footer would become more useful in big water if you could fit an extension handle below the reel. Have you looked at that possibility?

To put it another way: the more symmetrical the flow, the lower you can get, the less mending is required,the more ability and skills you've acquired - the better a single hander can come to doing what the double hander does. Depends on the water, you and the fish.

Hope this helps.

You could get a instruction from Glenda Powell, she works on the munster Blackwater, and is a qualified DH casting instructor.. Also another plus would be more control as Coolwings said..

All this is fair enough but this is a young lad who still hasn't mastered his single. Why not hone his skills and rivercraft first rather than jumping from Billy to Jack all the time?

Look srameen I can do what I want. I think Glenda is a bit expensive? Albeit she's a great person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Look srameen I can do what I want. I think Glenda is a bit expensive? Albeit she's a great person

He's only giving advice, no need to take it the wrong way. A good DH rod is bloody expensive, but will be f*ck all use to you if you don't know how to use it. A good instructor is worth every cent, Glenda is renowned as a great teacher. You'll get far more value from a lesson than from whatever rod you buy.

Whoa! I was just giving advice based on over 60 years fly fishing experience. I never said to go to Glenda - I have never even heard of her. I said go to the club and anybody would show you the ropes.

Buying a double when you haven't learned the skills is a total waste of money and effort.

But do as you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Sorry srameen. What's that link supposed to be. It's invalid

Advertisement