Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI President Cooksons leadership criticised

Options
  • 22-06-2016 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Looks like Brian Cookson is under pressure from within UCI. Doesn't seem to be too successful at all. http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1038724/cooksons-leadership-of-uci-reportedly-criticised-in-letter-by-uec-president

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Looks like Brian Cookson is under pressure from within UCI. Doesn't seem to be too successful at all. http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1038724/cooksons-leadership-of-uci-reportedly-criticised-in-letter-by-uec-president

I think he is fairly universally seen as an ineffectual leader at best.
    Pity no one else had the guts to stand at the last election. The choice was really quite poor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Could Pat McQuaid be persuaded to return to the sport, like Lance did in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lumen wrote: »
    Could Pat McQuaid be persuaded to return to the sport, like Lance did in 2009?

id say for 250k pat could be persuaded to alot of things

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sources close to the UCI have, however, indicated that Lappartient had been unable to get any members of the Management Committee to co-sign the letter, despite several attempts.
    Members of the Committee were reportedly surprised by both its tone and content, claiming that it did not represent their opinions.
    It is also understood that the letter had not be signed by members of the UEC Management Committee, who are believed to have not been consulted over the contents of the letter,which was then sent on a UEC letterhead
    We therefore seem to have one individual raising a number of specific points with little if any support from others in senior positions within the UCI (or indeed it would appear the UEC)

What has Cookson done/failed to do that people around here considers deserves criticism?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    We therefore seem to have one individual raising a number of specific points with little if any support from others in senior positions within the UCI (or indeed it would appear the UEC)

What has Cookson done/failed to do that people around here considers deserves criticism?

Failure to openly make any meaningful reform of the UCI and it's structures. Failed to deal openly with teams who have repeated doping failures.
    Odd and poorly transparent way of dealing with cases like Henaos.
    Lack of openness and transparency in releasing names of those with failed tests.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Failure to openly make any meaningful reform of the UCI and it's structures. Failed to deal openly with teams who have repeated doping failures.
    Odd and poorly transparent way of dealing with cases like Henaos.
    Lack of openness and transparency in releasing names of those with failed tests.
    None of this appears in Lappartient's "complaints", which is part of the reason I was asking.

It seems to me that there is a dissatisfaction amongst some because of certain things they, perhaps individually, were hoping for.

I guess though to turn it round a little, what has he failed to deliever that he promised ahead of his election?

I would also add that there does at least seem to be some degree of "unity" within the management commitee, of which the President is one member. It seems to me that what is being done is being done with the support/agreement of other members, and hopefully that means full and proper discussion bafore agreement is reached. Under prior regimes (and indeed based on the actions of Lappartient perhaps currently within the UEC) the President perhaps came across as too autocratic with decisions almost being taken on a whim on occasions. Perhaps it could be said that Cookson has brought more structure (and hopefully transparency) to the decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Change can be very difficult to enforce. It can often be a very slow moving process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

His main manifesto points were:

• Rebuild trust in the UCI
    • Transform the way anti-doping
    is dealt with
    • Grow cycling across the globe
    • Develop women’s cycling
    • Overhaul elite road cycling
    • Strengthen cycling’s credibility
    and influence within the
    Olympic Movement

Anyone care to explain what movement has been made on these? Slow or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

His main manifesto points were:

• Rebuild trust in the UCI
    • Transform the way anti-doping
    is dealt with
    • Grow cycling across the globe
    • Develop women’s cycling
    • Overhaul elite road cycling
    • Strengthen cycling’s credibility
    and influence within the
    Olympic Movement

Anyone care to explain what movement has been made on these? Slow or otherwise?

The only one of those points that has seen any thing progress is probably. The womens cycling

neris wrote: »
    The only one of those points that has seen any thing progress is probably. The womens cycling
    That's one area that was a focus pretty much from day 1 and I don't think the UCI can be criticised for the progress that has been made whilst recognising there is some way to go

Here's the current UCI strategy

What I don't know is what else is going on in the background. As already mentioned changes can often take some time to deliver, and it's possible that progress is being made without any final results to shout about yet. Cookson has another 15 months of his current term, Clearly some people are showing dissatisfaction with progress to date, but it will be interesting to see what is delivered in the next year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

That's one area that was a focus pretty much from day 1 and I don't think the UCI can be criticised for the progress that has been made whilst recognising there is some way to go

Here's the current UCI strategy

What I don't know is what else is going on in the background. As already mentioned changes can often take some time to deliver, and it's possible that progress is being made without any final results to shout about yet. Cookson has another 15 months of his current term, Clearly some people are showing dissatisfaction with progress to date, but it will be interesting to see what is delivered in the next year or so.

Looks like Serious Problems... that another 15 months under Cookson won't fix....

“ASO, organiser of the Tour de France, has decided in December 2015 not to include her trials in the World Tour in 2017, depriving the World Tour of some of his best races,” said Lappartient, who is believed to have voted against the reforms when they were passed last September.

“The AIOCC (race organisers) and CPA (riders' union) have refused to adopt the proposed reform.
    “For the future of our sport and ensuring the role of our institution, it is essential to find a solution quickly."

The effectiveness of the tablet device used to detect technological fraud was also queried, with thermal imaging and X-ray devices mooted, while he questioned whether enough analysis of disc brakes had been done prior to them being introduced into the peloton.

The UCI suspended the trial of disc brakes following an injury suffered by Spain’s Francisco Ventoso in the Paris-Roubaix one-day race during April.

Finances of the governing body were also reportedly criticised, after the UCI reported an increased annual loss of CHF1.22 million (£874,000/$1.2 million/€1.1 million) for 2015 earlier this month, following a CHF121,000 (£87,000/$125,000/€111,000) loss in 2014.

“An increase in payroll by 9.3 per cent in one year is unacceptable, especially incomprehensible that it was taken without the approval of the Management Committee.

“It also ignores the unusually high turnover for three years which resulted in a loss of expertise in some missions.”

Sources close to the UCI have told insidethegames that Cookson responded point by point to the Lappartient’s in a letter sent to the Frenchman.

It is understood that the Lappartient has been requested to either support the work of the Management Committee or consider his position.

Cookson is approaching the final year of his first term as the UCI President, but told the UEC’s annual Congress in March that he would stand for another four-year term, which would see him remain in charge until 2021.

Lappartient also revealed that he would stand for re-election as the UEC President at the Congress.
    insidethegames has requested

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Between 12 Sprocket's still-not-letting-the-McQuaid-betrayal-go internet copy/paste campaign and Beasty's I-drink-Cookson-Kool-Aid-At-The-Velodrome blind defence I don't know what to think. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I just feel things have drifted - no better or worse. Just with a less abrasive head of the UCI. Meanwhile, ASO continues to develop races around the world, and nearly has it's own year long calendar....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I honestly couldn't care less about it.

Get McQuaid back. At least I cared about it when he was UCI president. I
    Miss having someone to blame. To me it looks like Cookson completely underestimated the job ahead.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement