Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DPF - To remove or not?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Took out the VCDS readings I was given when the code was diagnosed, does this make sense to anyone?:

RPM: 2304/min
    Torque: 320nm
    Speed: 125km/h
    Tension: 13.9V
    Pressure: 2492.1mbar
    pressure: 1938.3mbar

It's the last three I don't understand - if anyone can guess what it is the machine is telling me I'd highly appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bear1 wrote: »
    Took out the VCDS readings I was given when the code was diagnosed, does this make sense to anyone?:

It's the last three I don't understand - if anyone can guess what it is the machine is telling me I'd highly appreciate it.

Tension is just voltage. Haute tension would be high voltage in french iirc. High tension wires/cables etc. Unless you already knew that and you're wondering if 13.9 is wrong. Seems a little low but not way wrong and possibly explained by modern smart alternators?

Requested boost? Measured boost?

My turbo only gives me a measly 900mbar of boost so those numbers are way outta my league hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Tension is just voltage. Haute tension would be high voltage in french iirc. High tension wires/cables etc. Unless you already knew that and you're wondering if 13.9 is wrong. Seems a little low but not way wrong and possibly explained by modern smart alternators?

Requested boost? Measured boost?

My turbo only gives me a measly 900mbar of boost so those numbers are way outta my league hahaha.

Maybe that's his problem, its over boosting and going into limp. Did your mechanic clean the vanes? Were they very dirty or rough in operation?

jca wrote: »
    Maybe that's his problem, its over boosting and going into limp. Did your mechanic clean the vanes? Were they very dirty or rough in operation?

The problem is that it is under boosting.
    So either the actuator is faulty which I'm reading can be quite possible or it isn't holding the vacuum.
    Other things that come to mind are the map and boost solenoid but I believe on Passats its attached to the actuator.

jca wrote: »

Naw mine is petrol smallish turbo, bears is diesel with more boost because diesel will take more boost without turbo turning into a flamethrower. There may also be a "bar gauge" "bar absolute" thing going on?

Dunno, guesswork on my behalf on the vcds pressure readings.

Have done a tonne of googling and youtubing this weekend to get a sense of what I'm up against and how far I need to bend over.
    My suspicions as ive mentioned are that the actuator is failing as the vcds mentioned that the fault was sporadic.
    Also with a new turbo only been changed before I bought it and that underboosting is not in general a sign of turbo failure in sticking to my theory.
    I thought about a leak somewhere but this would throw a fault up everytime I'm looking for boost and I don't hear the sound of escaping air.
    Either the actuator isn't holding the vacuum properly and so isn't regulating the boost correctly or the electrcal connection to it is faulty.
    Its going back in tomorrow which should hopefully be the last time as om Saturday its off to Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Like I said, the actuator arm is adjustable so you need to make sure it's properly adjusted.

Here is how my morning has gone trying to book the car in.
    I have been to 2 mechanics and called 4 and not one wanted anything to do with it.
    VW themselves were hesitant to take a look at it.
    I took one last roll of the dice and brought it to a mechanic who also dies work on high performance cars.
    Left it in with them now and wont know until tomorrow morning what is actually wrong.
    Really need the car to be ready by Friday :(

And update of an update of the update :)
    Mechanic called and said that they have found the problem, a valve in the turbo seems to be completely snapped which is what was causing the issues.
    Valve is being replaced as we speak and tomorrow morning I'll be picking it up. Fingers crossed this is the end of this saga :)

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what were the two VCDS pressure readings - Commanded and measured?

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue. I believe it is what you suspected tbh.
    I'll know tomorrow morning when I take it for a spin if it has finally cured the problem.

Out of interest, what were the two VCDS pressure readings - Commanded and measured?

Ok I think I know, the first pressure reading is Boost Pressure (specified) and the second is Boost Pressure (actual).
    so that tells me that the car was underboosting as it is missing 500mbar of boost at that particular speed.
    Plausible?

Dunno, I've only ever read the MAP sensor live readings on mine, never delved deeper than that.

Dunno, I've only ever read the MAP sensor live readings on mine, never delved deeper than that.

As long as it fecking works tomorrow I couldn't give two ****s :)

So I got the car back and I'm happy to say that for now it is back to normal. Accelerates nicely seems more punchy.
    Jinxed it now.
    Turned out to be the n75 valve or the boost solenoid that had failed which seems to be a common fault.
    So if anyone with a b6 Passat gets the p0299 code dont believe that the turbo is fecked. 4 mechanics and VW tried to get me replace the turbo or didn'twant to know.
    A 80e part cured it...

• Advertisement

Glad you got it sorted in the end. 5 pages of talking about it paid off :pac:

4 mechanics and VW tried to get me replace the turbo or didn'twant to know.
    A 80e part cured it...
    That's shocking though.
    There's gonna be a lot of cars scrapped or random useless repairs as more and more cars get little turbos or hybrid stuff bolted onto them. Seems a lotta boys are still working in the checking points and shimming rockers shtyle or whatever they used to do when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

4 mechanics and VW tried to get me replace the turbo or didn'twant to know.
    A 80e part cured it...

My wife took her admittedly 10 year old Pug 206 to the Garage she bought it new from, whom she always took to for servicing, to be told her current problems would cost thousands and would be better off getting a new car. Was told several times during the conversation, 'would you not get a new car'.

She's happy with her car. It is her first car to own herself. She took it to the mechanic I use and it was all sorted for about €400.

Re my own car, the fix I was offered was quoted as €3.5k from a main dealer - was actually done for just over a tenth of that.

shietpilot wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted in the end. 5 pages of talking about it paid off :pac:

Feck ya :P :D it worked for me :D
    That's shocking though.
    There's gonna be a lot of cars scrapped or random useless repairs as more and more cars get little turbos or hybrid stuff bolted onto them. Seems a lotta boys are still working in the checking points and shimming rockers shtyle or whatever they used to do when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I know, utter idiocy. Never ceases to amaze me how some mechanics desperately try to screw you over though.

What about DPF cleaner?

e.g. http://jmbreen.ie/product/jlm-diesel-particulate-filter-cleaner/ ?

Disclaimer:
    a) I built the above website for a client, but I have no connection to the business. Halfords and others stock DPF cleaners too.
    b) I've no direct experience with cleaner products but I know a couple of people who've gone from warning light and performance issues to normal driving after using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What about DPF cleaner?

Have you read the thread :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Bear, can you pm the name of the mechanic you used. I have a problem with my actuator not working, wouldn't mind trying your guy.

emo72 wrote: »
    Bear, can you pm the name of the mechanic you used. I have a problem with my actuator not working, wouldn't mind trying your guy.

That might be a long trip :p

What about DPF cleaner?

e.g. http://jmbreen.ie/product/jlm-diesel-particulate-filter-cleaner/ ?

Disclaimer:
    a) I built the above website for a client, but I have no connection to the business. Halfords and others stock DPF cleaners too.
    b) I've no direct experience with cleaner products but I know a couple of people who've gone from warning light and performance issues to normal driving after using it.

It turned out not to be the DPF.
    emo72 wrote: »

Hi, as mentioned you'd be in a for a long trip. I'm based out in Warsaw so I'm back and forth to Ireland.
    Can you describe your symptoms and I can tell you if it's what I was experiencing?
    Have you scanned the ECU?

That might be a long trip :p

You're on a roll today with the jokes whaa :pac::D

You're on a roll today with the jokes whaa :pac::D

The best part is they weren't even jokes :p

The best part is they weren't even jokes :p

Shush you! :D

Shush you! :D

coat.gif

It turned out not to be the DPF.

I see the post in question now - missed it on first scan.

Advertisement