Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question RE coils for RDA

• 22-06-2016 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi everyone, relatively new to vaping and just got my first RDA the other day.

My question is about getting pre-made coils for it. While I learn the basics of building coils for myself, I thought it'd be a good idea to have some pre-made coils to use until I get my technique down. The guy in the shop helpfully made one for me which is 26g kanthal 0.7ohm.

I was looking online and I found a few Irish sites that have pre-made coils for sale. The wire in the premade coils is 0.6ohm 0.46mm kanthal 7 wraps. It says on the page these pre-made coils are for RBAs.

So - can I use those pre-made coils in my RDA? If not, is there anywhere where I can get pre-made coils for my RDA that would match what the guy in the sop did for me?

These might be basic questsions, and apologies if they are, haven't found much help online about this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

utkik wrote:
    So - can I use those pre-made coils in my RDA? If not, is there anywhere where I can get pre-made coils for my RDA that would match what the guy in the sop did for me?

Should be fine, a coil is a coil. Just what RDA did you get.

Sometimes the coils might be too big to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 utkik

Thanks for the reply, it's a Motofo Sapor which seems to be standard enough.

So 0.46mm wire would be an okay size for it? I was getting confused when the specs didn't say what gauge it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I think that's 25 gauge. That's not what I was getting at though. I meant what is the internal diameter of the coil. And is it just plain, or twisted or Clapton.

Its more about will the coil physically fit into the base and allow for the cap to fit on, without the coil touching the posts and the cap/casing.

Ah, okay, I get what you mean now. It's plain Kanthal coil, the site doesn't say what the diameter is though. I might have to just take a chance and see if it fits without making contact with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

utkik wrote: »
    Ah, okay, I get what you mean now. It's plain Kanthal coil, the site doesn't say what the diameter is though. I might have to just take a chance and see if it fits without making contact with anything.

Diameter can mean either the wire diameter (thickness of wire), the bore diameter (size of coils) and the full diameter (the width of the entire coil.)

You should be ok - I have a Sapor myself. Excellent RDA.

I use these coils but you really need a dual 18650 mod for them.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4152508

Worth noting - the Sapor is a dual coil RDA so each coil will need to be twice your target resistance.

If you're aiming for 0.3ohm you'll need two 0.6ohm coils.

• Advertisement

thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and insight, I'm still getting to grips with terminology and all the rest. The hobbyist in me is looking forward to coil building, but knowing my skillz it's no harm to have pre-made backups nearby.
    I use these coils but you really need a dual 18650 mod for them.

That's cool, I have an iStick 100w. One very quick question though: the missus is thinking of getting an iStick Pico. She'd be keeping it v low, rarely past 25w I should think. Would that be okay with an RDA? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

utkik wrote: »
    That's cool, I have an iStick 100w. One very quick question though: the missus is thinking of getting an iStick Pico. She'd be keeping it v low, rarely past 25w I should think. Would that be okay with an RDA? Thanks again.

Well technically yes but you'd need to build at a higher resistance, around 1ohm to get anything from around 25w, you won't get the same flavour/vapour than a lower resistance build running at higher wattage.

The pico has a matching tank that would probably be a better idea.

Advertisement