Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remap issue or injector problem

• 22-06-2016 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Some might remember that I had my DPF gutted (kept the casing and passed the NCT) and had a remap.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057549319

At the time when I got the DPF gutted I was told if there's anything wrong come back to me in case the remap caused problems. He also said it looks like I've a problem with an injector and may need to do a leak off test to see which if any injectors are causing problems. He also said he remapped it to a point above which caused smoke problems.

A few weeks back I started to lose power, when I pressed the accelerator a whoosh type noise would come from the engine, but no great acceleration. I didn't have time to get it sorted and the car drove okay whilst I didn't press too hard on the accelerator. In the past week or so I've learned to drive to its limitations, but it's more like a 100hp car now rather than more than twice that.

If I put my foot to the floor after a certain level of acceleration, the car will no longer quickly accelerate, but will also leave a very dense pool of black smoke out the back. This isn't normal white smoke, but full on hard to see through smoke. Actually up to decent speed it acted fine i.e. up to 120 KPH, the problem occurred (at any speed) when I pressed hard on the accelerator (e.g. trying to overtake).

So, finally, the question. Is this possibly a remap issue (I'll take back to the person who did the remap) or injectors (I'll take to my garage)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

A whoosh noise, black smoke and bad acceleration sounds like a boost leak to me. Probably a split pipe running to/from intercooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Boost leak through poor hose fitting/split pipe or maybe turbo issue.

If your able to remove hose from intercooler and if there quite a bit oil in system then it most likely turbo related. Otherwise need to try boost leak test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

edburg wrote: »
    Boost leak through poor hose fitting/split pipe or maybe turbo issue.

If your able to remove hose from intercooler and if there quite a bit oil in system then it most likely turbo related. Otherwise need to try boost leak test.

Oh balls, never thought about the turbo :(

Oh balls, never thought about the turbo :(

I doubt it. If the turbo was gone you'd hear a loud high pitched sound and not a whoosh. Whoosh is compressed air escaping into the atmosphere :p

shietpilot wrote: »
    I doubt it. If the turbo was gone you'd hear a loud high pitched sound and not a whoosh. Whoosh is compressed air escaping into the atmosphere :p

Pheew, may not need to call the bank manager just yet.

Would that account for the black smoke as well? I'd assumed this was coming out of the exhaust or would that feed into the exhaust?

• Advertisement

Pheew, may not need to call the bank manager just yet.

Would that account for the black smoke as well? I'd assumed this was coming out of the exhaust or would that feed into the exhaust?

Boost leak will cause black smoke because the ecu thinks there is boost coming into the engine and it adds more fuel. If the boost is leaking the fuel still goes in and it doesn't get burned which causes plumes of black smoke.

Boost leak will cause black smoke because the ecu thinks there is boost coming into the engine and it adds more fuel. If the boost is leaking the fuel still goes in and it doesn't get burned which causes plumes of black smoke.

Gotcha :) Cheers

My first choice is boost leak of sorts, complete lack of power in accelaration can sometimes be turbo related.

My first choice is boost leak of sorts, complete lack of power in accelaration can sometimes be turbo related.

Got an appointment to drop into the garage. He said he'd give a quick look to see if it's a loose pipe or something minor before seeing if anything else required.

Not sure how I can tell by driving if it's simply a loose pipe or actual turbo.

Will find out later this evening.

Probably a split pipe running to/from intercooler.

Straight off the bat, the correct answer. :cool:

€230 parts and labour. Part due in next Tuesday, will survive until then.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Good news

Good news

Cheers.

Problem caused (he thinks) by over ambitious remap (done by someone else). eek. If it goes again, will definitely need to remap as well.

Ah well.

Cheers.

Problem caused (he thinks) by over ambitious remap (done by someone else). eek. If it goes again, will definitely need to remap as well.

Ah well.

A remap won't cause a turbo pipe to break guaranteed. No chance, zero. It's pretty normal for them to go on pretty much any turbo car, remapped or not :)

Advertisement