Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum

Options
  • 22-06-2016 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

The soccer forum here is by approval only expect during the major tournaments as it meant to be unmoderateable during the regular season. If this is the case how come these forums don't decend into all out flame wars during the open periods?

Is it more attention paid by mods?
    Less to troll about when clubs aren't doing much?
    Or that the initial contention of being unmoderatable is unfounded?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The soccer forum here is by approval only expect during the major tournaments as it meant to be unmoderateable during the regular season. If this is the case how come these forums don't decend into all out flame wars during the open periods?

Is it more attention paid by mods?
    Or that the initial contention of being unmoderatable is unfounded?

It's not unmoderated during the season, not sure where you're getting that from.

I thought opening it up for the Euros was a good idea but I wouldn't be for it again. There's Jun 16 registered accounts with 3 figure post counts exclusively in soccer. Fairly obvious that there's a few there that aren't supposed to be which totally goes against the access request function.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's not unmoderated during the season, not sure where you're getting that from.

I thought opening it up for the Euros was a good idea but I wouldn't be for it again. There's Jun 16 registered accounts with 3 figure post counts exclusively in soccer. Fairly obvious that there's a few there that aren't supposed to be which totally goes against the access request function.

I said "unmoderateable" (which google is now telling me is a made up word :)) not unmoderated.

What I meant was their were so many trolls it couldn't be moderated properly

I said "unmoderateable" (which google is now telling me is a made up word :)) not unmoderated.

What I meant was their were so many trolls it couldn't be moderated properly

Sorry, misread. It's actually moderated pretty well these days. It's never going to be consistent but it's better than I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a reasonable question to ask tbf, and it is probably due a reasoned response from the moderation team.

My belief as an active user is that

probably applies. I personally check out from the forum during the summer break for periods as transfer talk is generally not my bag. Most fans are positive and insular over the summer and any big transfers are unlikely to happen until after the major summer tournament is completed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Presumably a certain type of poster - generally associated with a few big clubs - cause the most trouble and already care enough to have access, whereas maybe the euros just attracts a more drifting supporter so it doesn't tip over that much.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The access process was introduced a long time before I registered on Boards and I cannot comment too much on some of the issues that resulted in it.

It continues to provide a couple of obvious benefits:

1. The forum charter is quite prescriptive with a formal totting up process for cards and bans. The access process has a particular focus on requiring new posters to read the charter in full. That does not stop someone simply copying and pasting from other access requests but anyone who does so risks having missed a change in the process and has absolutely no defence if they do then fall foul of the rules
    2. It stops posters registering (or re-registering) just to troll in a forum where we still see some friction (albeit massively reduced in recent years in my own view) between certain fans of the 2 most popular clubs in particular. Imagine the potential issues when those 2 clubs are playing and a new poster crops up and stirs things up before a mod can deal with it. Posters need a minimum time on the site and post count before they can apply which stops people signing up with the sole intent of trolling fans of another club

Things are generally a little calmer during these international events, although we did see some issues for example at the last World Cup with the affiliation of Ronaldo to United and Suarez to Liverpool causing some problems (although they were largely involving posters who already had access)

Having said all that I agree it's a fair question. The access process has certainly been in place for over a decade and maybe it is about time we revisited the whole issue.

I would add that I am speaking for myself here and have not discussed any of this with the local mods. I would certainly welcome any input they have as they are the ones at the coalface

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of name calling in the match threads, just childish stuff that shouldn't bother anyone anyway but if that was during the season the mods would be blitzed with reported posts as various posters tried to win their vendetta.

Maybe opening up the pool of posters has a calming effect and reduces the echo chamber the troublesome posters experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

My point is that the regulars aren't bothered by the new posters calling players, managers etc. names so its not a problem.

When the first regular poster calls a Man Utd or Liverpool player a prat it will be a whole different story.
    So because the regular posters can't play nice those who have a passing interest aren't allowed to play at all? I'm not seeing a good reason for this system at all.

• Advertisement

So because the regular posters can't play nice those who have a passing interest aren't allowed to play at all? I'm not seeing a good reason for this system at all.

It's there to stop people just constantly re-registering to troll the sh*t out of the place. If it wasn't there the forum would be an absolute mess.
    Some people just don't take the hint and keep coming back under different accounts after being banned.

I've recently given the new account name of one of these guys to a Cmod for the third time in a couple of years. No doubt he will be back again soon acting the dick again. If the access request wasn't there it would just be a conveyor belt of similar accounts not giving a sh*t about getting caught. At least with the post count/1 month requirement they have to toe the line a bit for fear of it being a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My own view is that access requests should remain. Far to many muppets over the course of the tournament so far either pure trolling or abusing people. I don't really see the logic of lifting the access request for the tournament at all. If people want to go around being abusive and uncivil under the guise of talking about the match then if there is any place for that it should be after hours.... Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A little off topic but can the 50 posts and access questions please also apply to the soccer tickets thread?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A little off topic but can the 50 posts and access questions please also apply to the soccer tickets thread?
    Any specific issues that make you suggest this? Just I'm not seeing any particular issues being reported about posts in that forum other than perhaps the odd one offering/asking over face value.

Beasty wrote: »
    Any specific issues that make you suggest this? Just I'm not seeing any particular issues being reported about posts in that forum other than perhaps the odd one offering/asking over face value.

No, just thought it might be a decent suggestion.

I'd say most people would be more willing to deal with posters that have a bit of history on the forum. Same would apply to buying tickets on adverts, eBay and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As have i, but the posts aren't having any action taken even though it's supposedly against the charter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

fullstop wrote: »
    As have i, but the posts aren't having any action taken even though it's supposedly against the charter :rolleyes:

yep, same

reports probably fell through the cracks but. the usual story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

yep, same

reports probably fell through the cracks but. the usual story.

Don't see why they should fall through the cracks. I got a yellow for calling a certain CEO a prick a few weeks back. There have been several examples of the same an worse since and nothing done. It's nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

depends on who the mods allow to troll tbh. They understandably don't want new users everywhere as it would make their narrative messy as regards who is and isn't allowed to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Any thread relating to Irish fans during the EC descended into an after-hoursesque trollfest with 4 or 5 people who had never posted in soccer before, mostly new accounts, leading the charge.

I initially thought that the open access idea was a good one but it's now pretty clear that we'd be dealing with a re-reg every week baiting normally rational posters into cards until the mods build up a body of evidence and ban them.

As such, I'd be against opening it fully.

• Advertisement

Is opening it fully even on the cards?

Thought it was just for the euros?

It hasn't been as bad as some people are saying. Much quieter than normal season.

Is opening it fully even on the cards?

Thought it was just for the euros?

No it's not "on the cards". However the OP raised the question and I agree it's something that's worthy of discussion. If the consensus is leave as is then that's fine so far as I am concerned. Equally the site has moved on. I have no doubt there have been less problems during these "open periods" than we often get over a Premiership weekend, but I suspect that will always be the case as there is much less "tribalism" in these international tournaments. I personally would support opening up every couple of years for these events despite some of the earlier comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah it's quieter because there are no competitive premiership matches on so you don't have that tribalism or butting of heads or banter that escalates to become full on trolling depending on results etc. It's really the biggest blight on the forum during the regular season and not always fans of opposing teams either.

People who I often found to be borderline trolling or full on trolling during the club football season namely supporters of other EPL clubs I can pretty much get on with and have a decent discussion about the Euros as there isn't that agenda... yeah to an extent it should be like that all year round but you know how things are...

you can see the priorities of the mods/cmods/admin/staff by the standard of moderation on this locked thread.

Some absolute clown of a "tournament poster" comes on trolling the shíte out of the forum, not a card to be seen.

Apart from the bit of backseat modding of course.

I'm not disputing my card, but the moderation is abysmal there, absolutely dire.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057617108

jaysis sake like.

you can see the priorities of the mods/cmods/admin/staff by the standard of moderation on this locked thread.

Some absolute clown of a "tournament poster" comes on trolling the shíte out of the forum, not a card to be seen.

Apart from the bit of backseat modding of course.

I'm not disputing my card, but the moderation is abysmal there, absolutely dire.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057617108

jaysis sake like.

That poster has been banned I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kick 'em out

#takingbackthesoccerforum

And while we're at it.

This has gone unmoderated.

This exactly the bull that goes on, with Pool or United fans dragging their crap on to absolutely unrelated threads. Naw, just card the backseat mods.

Yes, I reported it. I find it funny that a mod can moderate me for backseat modding, but not that post for obvious baiting.

The mods won't moderate correctly. Why not?

That poster has been banned I think?

so no obvious moderation.

How do you know, btw?

No mod posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He was banned, thread was locked. Bans aren't necessarily visible.

• Advertisement

Why respond to trolls though?

Posters are here long enough to have the cop on. Report and move on.

Advertisement