Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

so no obvious moderation.

How do you know, btw?

No mod posted.

Dispute thread

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Edited OP there, my match in Overwatch started so I put it off for ten whole minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Report and move on.

Reports do nothing. Look at the crap in the Germany matchthread for copious examples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Reports do nothing. Look at the crap in the Germany matchthread for copious examples.

How many nanoseconds do you suggest is acceptable between a report and a mod doing something about it?

Steve wrote: »
    How many nanoseconds do you suggest is acceptable between a report and a mod doing something about it?

Was well able to moderate me, so this is a mute point.

But the old chestnut of "we're all volunteers" or "sometimes they fall through the cracks" are still going strong Steve, keep on keeping on brother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was well able to moderate me, so this is a mute point.

But the old chestnut of "we're all volunteers" or "sometimes they fall through the cracks" are still going strong Steve, keep on keeping on brother.

It's like the same old story where a guy gets pulled over for speeding and cries 'why me? everyone else was also speeding!!'

The cop says 'ever been fishing?'

guy says 'yes, why?'

cop says 'did you catch all the fish?'

CQD.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

It's like the same old story where a guy gets pulled over for speeding and cries 'why me? everyone else was also speeding!!'

The cop says 'ever been fishing?'

guy says 'yes, why?'

cop says 'did you catch all the fish?'

CQD.

thats great and all, but what if the fish being caught is the stupidest most obvious fish the virtually jumps out of the pond onto the angler yet he still throws it back in.

BMMachine wrote: »
    thats great and all, but what if the fish being caught is the stupidest most obvious fish the virtually jumps out of the pond onto the angler yet he still throws it back in.

I don't get your logic there :)

I don't get your logic there

course you don't, it doesn't suit you. Nice one. It's not that hard to understand, really. But there you go.

I still don't see why the post I linked (here it is again, just in case the fisherman was baiting instead of paying attention) is not being moderated.

This very thing was one of, if not THE, main issues brought up in the annual soccer forum feedback thread.

Fans of the "big 2" dragging their petty squabbles into all sorts of unrelated threads, even in the middle of a bleedin international tournament. That damn poster has even admitted to a bit of one-upmanship. He posted that post because he saw people "on the other side" doing the same before. The mods are allowing this pissing contest to go on unchecked. Is it a directive? Is it too hard to moderate, so instead they concentrate on the low hanging fruit?

I get it, I get that content, any content, is needed at this stage - but at what cost?

I also get that the c/mod team has tasked itself with getting rid of certain posters that they don't want around any more, but to neglect the actual issues that are plaguing the forum is short termism and shows a distinct lack of understanding of the role of moderator, tasking themselves with dishing out yellow cards for obvious charter breachers, but typically ignoring the low level trollery that goes on.

I understand that support from above is sorely lacking on the low-level troll issues, but in even such obvious cases of what has been called out as being probably the number one issue on the forum over the last while, for the moderator team to willfully ignore it absolutely stinks.

And to be backed up by the Sports Cmod is very, very telling.

But there you go. Pretend to not "get it" and we'll all keep on truckin'.

Hooray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Polynesian Island

I think now that boards.ie is generally a lot less popular than a few years ago it might be a good idea to give it a trial run making the soccer forum open to everyone.

Also, I would suggest a "oneupmanship" thread to allow posters to quibble away to their hearts content.

• Advertisement

I think now that boards.ie is generally a lot less popular than a few years ago it might be a good idea to give it a trial run making the soccer forum open to everyone.

you mean allow more of the unmoderated muppets to take over?

Yep, in keeping with Boards.ie making decisions to actively piss off it's current userbase, that would indeed be a suitable microcosm of the current state of play alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Polynesian Island

you mean allow more of the unmoderated muppets to take over?

Yep, in keeping with Boards.ie making decisions to actively piss off it's current userbase, that would indeed be a suitable microcosm of the current state of play alright.

I think it's worth a trial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think it's worth a trial run.

Nah, it's a stupid idea. How hard is it to apply for access if you really want to post? Conversely without an access system how easy is it to rereg and troll the place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Nah, it's a stupid idea. How hard is it to apply for access if you really want to post? Conversely without an access system how easy is it to rereg and troll the place...

Coincidentally he is banned after 9 posts :pac:

Aaaaand he's back... This is as good an example as any why the access request should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I agree with Phlegmy above. I had no issue with the forum being opened up for the Euros, but I've ended up reporting more posts in the last month than in the previous two years. I know forum regulars are well able to wind people up, and the vast majority of nonregulars are decent rule-abiding folk, but I wouldn't be for doing it again. It wouldn't be hard for any non-forum regulars to sign up if they wanted to anyway- they'd likely already meet the time and post count criteria.

I also agree with the content of Baldy's complaint (if maybe not the tenor ;) ). Low level trolling should be stamped on hard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

OJ Coffee wrote: »
    So why not have access requests for all forums, I rereg and post in after hours and the racquet sports forums quite a lot, so I take it that you think those should forums should also have restricted access?

#Dispellingmythsandfaultylogic

Some of the nonsense that's gone on the soccer forum over the years is crazy, restricted access makes sense. If you are that keen to post in it takes you actively reading the charter and making 50 posts so that you can post. It's really really not that restricted, and keeps some of the lunatics at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I would advocate a general access request system which would be required for access to specific troublesome, high card count fora such as After Hours. Not one per forum, a general access system. And not for low troublesome fora like racquet sports.

Why should the bar not be set slightly higher to stem the flow of constant reregs/closed accounts to flashpoint fora ?

Keep the separate one for soccer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Somebody pointed out that 2 United players missed penalties. This is something which you feel merits action? I'm not getting it. Is a statement of fact relevant to the match.

Somebody pointed out that 2 United players missed penalties. This is something which you feel merits action? I'm not getting it. Is a statement of fact relevant to the match.

United/Liverpool crap in threads where neither are playing was one of the biggest complaints in the soccer feedback thread this year.
    It's a really pissy, pointless post tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No you're not getting it and, to be fair, normal people not predisposed to posting on football forums wouldn't get it. A way to think about it is to think of the word "honest" when assessing posts on the soccer forum. Is it "honestly" noteworthy in the context of analysing the Italy / Germany WCQF that two players registered for Man Utd missed penalty kicks? That the players concerned play for Man Utd had no bearing on them missing the kicks, nor does it matter a jot in the context of two sides containing a mixture of club players based all over European football.

No, to point out that Man Utd players were 0 / 2 in missing penalties is a post purely intended to annoy and incite Utd fans. It is therefore not an honest comment on the game at hand. Now, you could say that Utd fans should be able to see the stupidity in that line of attack and ignore it. But that line of thinking leads on football forums to multiple sets of chimps flinging metaphorical poo batches at each other and playing the 'shur it's only banter' card when questioned.

And again, you might say 'so be it' and note that if football fans are stupid enough to do that let them be and that if forums with such a tone exist on the Internet that must be where the demand lies. But the best thing about the boards.ie soccer forum has always been that it is different because it aims to cut that nonsense off at the pass. That's what the Access forum is designed to help with. That's what the current carding and ban system is designed to help with. That's what the ban on offensive names (calling Player X ****, etc) is designed to help with. And that's why there is a core user base on there posting for many years about a variety of football topics - i.e. not just posting tribal nonsense about our own club.

BC is one of that core user base. That's why he's annoyed. Ignore him at your peril.

Was that troll from the other night unbanned?

lol, probably gave a pinky promise to be good from now on.

Content at any price lads, content at any price. It's a serious let down tbh.

And this still going untouched.

I wonder would any Soccer Mod or Sports CMod, or even Admin like to explain the thinking behind not sanctioning that absolutely obvious example of the issue that has been called out as being one of the main problems on the forum in the past year, and getting worse.

Has there been a directive to allow any and all content, once it drives others to post?

Is the thinking there that this is not an example of that particular issue?

wondered how long it would take for your sanctimoniousness to turn up on a Soccer Forum Feedback thread.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

United/Liverpool crap in threads where neither are playing was one of the biggest complaints in the soccer feedback thread this year.
    It's a really pissy, pointless post tbf.

I'd just see that as a bit of harmless banter, and it's not like it derailed the thread.

Some people take their footie far too serious, which is part of why I never bothered requesting access for the rest of the year, I'd feel I couldn't post any comments without getting the head ate off me by some diehard.

I'd just see that as a bit of harmless banter

You see, it would be if taken as a standalone post, but the fact is that fans of both teams (not ALL of them, it must be said, but a sizable enough minority) are constantly, constantly at this bull, whether it be silly little digs like that on totally unrelated threads - I mean really, why should fans of Cork City or Everton be subjected to the petty childish point scoring like that post in almost every single thread on the Soccer forum?

You can't discuss anything on the forum these days without some muppet coming on and making a tenuously related tangential point involving a player, manager - or even more ridiculously an ex-player or ex-manager of one of those two clubs - in an attempt to rile the opposition fans into replying, or getting carded or banned.

It's plain as day, it's making the forum damn near unreadable, the regular users called it out in the annual feedback thread, and the mods and cmods have decided to roundly ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

wondered how long it would take for your sanctimoniousness to turn up on a Soccer Forum Feedback thread.

:)

please watch the name calling and stay on topic. (that includes calling other users trolls).

and no, I'm not going to comment on the soccer forum.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was that troll from the other night unbanned?

lol, probably gave a pinky promise to be good from now on.

Content at any price lads, content at any price. It's a serious let down tbh.

And this still going untouched.

I wonder would any Soccer Mod or Sports CMod, or even Admin like to explain the thinking behind not sanctioning that absolutely obvious example of the issue that has been called out as being one of the main problems on the forum in the past year, and getting worse.

Has there been a directive to allow any and all content, once it drives others to post?

Is the thinking there that this is not an example of that particular issue?

Had a discussion with them and decided to compromise by carding them instead...they step out of line again during the euros they're gone. I decided I had been a bit heavy handed by bypassing the totting up process and banning them straight out. They were certainly trolling but other posters were also certainly goading them too so I figured they deserved equal treatment rather than being turfed out straight away. They haven't posted in the forum since anyway.

As for the martyos121's post, I personally thought it was harmless so I didn't card it, can't speak for any of the other mods but considering they didn't action it either I'm guessing they felt the same. It didn't derail the the thread and the conversation moved on fairly quick. I agree the Liverpool/Man U stuff is tiresome and frankly a scourge on the forum but I didn't feel that particular post crossed the line. Not sure what else I can tell you.

As for content at any price, falling user numbers...well I personally couldn't give a toss about any of that. That's for the people who get paid to worry about.

Wait, am I being moderated/corrected for referring to a person who was banned/unbanned/carded for trolling as a troll?

Really?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    As for the martyos121's post, I personally thought it was harmless so I didn't card it, can't speak for any of the other mods but considering they didn't action it either I'm guessing they felt the same. It didn't derail the the thread and the conversation moved on fairly quick. I agree the Liverpool/Man U stuff is tiresome and frankly a scourge on the forum but I didn't feel that particular post crossed the line. Not sure what else I can tell you.

This is absolutely unfathomable.

A post directly referring to Manchester United players in a thread unrelated to Manchester United, by a Liverpool fan, does not cross the line when it comes to the issue of fans of both clubs bringing up the inter-club rivalry in unrelated threads.

Especially when the poster in question pretty much admits to just bringing up the subject because "the other lot" do the same.

Remarkable really. Or not.

It's clear you and your team is not interested in addressing the issue and continue to sweep it under the carpet.

I have absolutely zero clue what the useless annual feedback thread is for at this stage. Window dressing is it?

Pathetic response. Hand wavery at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No "directives" have been issued to Mods (or indeed CMods) in any of the forums I have responsibility for whilst I have been a Mod/CMod.

Advertisement