Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why don't you just move over to the Soccer forum on reddit Baldy?
    There is a general subreddit for soccer which can be messy becuase all the fans stick there but you get to see goals, incidents and links to matches and generally better analysis and content from around Europe.
    Pretty easy to ignore the trolls and banter kings.

There is a fairly busy man utd subreddit as well with 40k subscribed to it and is on the button for any news or goals. Once you get used to it it's superior to get your fix of news than sorting through 10 pages to find it.
    I can just look at the front page of the subreddit every few hours to see if something has happened and can ignore loads of comments to get right into the content at a glance. The Mods of the utd subreddit are on the button as well with just deleting rubbish posts.

You clearly hate the Soccer forum here and it winds you up so why stay?

Have a look and see if you like it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer
    https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Steve wrote: »
    I don't get your logic there :)

oh ill just be direct then.
    Some mods dont infract/ban trolls because either:
    a) - they like them
    b) - they wind up someone they dont like
    c) - they have been around a while and instead of being a troll, its just "ah you know what hes like"

in fact, one mod removed a known trolls trollpost and left him without a warning as he continued to post on the thread in the same vane.

but yeah I must be crazy because there is no way a moderator on the Irish website boards.ie would be biased and protect people they like to the detriment of someone else. No way. Im probably really paranoid to think that that could happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm actually reading a subreddit in another tab (not one of the ones you linked), use of Boards and Reddit are not mutually exclusive past times.

I dislike the reddit layout, but find it excellent for what you've outlined as regards incident and goal gifs.

I dislike team-specific forums, and that's coming from an ex-Admin of a team specific forum, they become echo chambers of certain viewpoints - at least with Boards the non-mental fans of other clubs are making some decent points without to point-score or troll - but they are few an far between.

I don't hate the SF, I do dislike certain things about it.

Oh yeah, they do alright. Rooney is great one week, literally hitler the next. I dabble between the 2. I havent had access to the one here for a few months and havent really missed it. If you could mix all 3 you would get a good mix and could just ignore the trolls. The mods wont change and the site isnt gonna change its stance of modding. You know this, anyone who says this is labeled a troublesome poster.

I use it on my phone with the reddit is fun app and its fairly smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Somebody pointed out that 2 United players missed penalties. This is something which you feel merits action? I'm not getting it. Is a statement of fact relevant to the match.

Seems to be. I don't think it is realistic to act on every off topic Liverpool or Man United post in international games, that's expecting too much and it would be a cardfest. And yes I'd say the same if it was a comment about Liverpool. But carding something like that seems overkill and unachievable as well.

The mod pointed out nobody reacted so that's the userbase self moderating itself which is a good thing and something to be encouraged imo. Personally I'd take note of the poster and take action if they keep fishing.

Match threads are a problem and it always comes up on feedback threads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

yeah so everyone is just ignoring the subsequent post by the same poster where he pretty much states that he did it in retaliation?

Also, good to know this new policy of "there was no reaction so it's ok" is now in place. Is that a thing now, or a contrivance for this single particular situation? I get it, I'm the one who brought this up, the poster who "has a problem" with the moderation and yiz can't be seen to back down, but for the love of all that's holy, will you just stop making stuff up. It's embarrassing.

Jaysis lads, yiz are spectacularly running rings around yizzerselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It wasn't cardable.

A warning on thread would suffice imo for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It wasn't cardable.

A warning on thread would suffice imo for something like that.

In a match between Germany and Italy the guy brings up Utd. I know what I would be thinking about the reason for that post. I'd be carded for saying it though so I guess its a successful instance of low level ...stuff.

Am I one of the "usuals" as referenced by K-9 in the mod forum then?

Am I that famous?

aw, where's Mickeroo's post gone? Not in keeping with the image was it?

Cowards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

jaykay74 wrote: »
    In a match between Germany and Italy the guy brings up Utd. I know what I would be thinking about the reason for that post. I'd be carded for saying it though so I guess its a successful instance of low level ...stuff.

If you card that though you got to card so much stuff. Not practical for mods.

yeah so everyone is just ignoring the subsequent post by the same poster where he pretty much states that he did it in retaliation?

Also, good to know this new policy of "there was no reaction so it's ok" is now in place. Is that a thing now, or a contrivance for this single particular situation? I get it, I'm the one who brought this up, the poster who "has a problem" with the moderation and yiz can't be seen to back down, but for the love of all that's holy, will you just stop making stuff up. It's embarrassing.

Jaysis lads, yiz are spectacularly running rings around yizzerselves.

I've used it when modding and other mods I've worked with as well. It's actually great when somebody looks for a reaction and they don't get one. It's why don't feed the trolls is a sitewide rule.

I don't think that's embarrassing at all, but now you mention it, you're style of posting is not helping your argument at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah there you are, am I on your "usuals" list?

I hope I am.

I hope I am.

You best believe you are in the bold boy corner labeled a troublesome poster.
    You have a few ip matches as well too ya? That's grounds for thinking you are a re reg.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

aw, where's Mickeroo's post gone? Not in keeping with the image was it?

Cowards.

Ah I deleted it myself as I thought better of it, wasn't quick enough though. :) I now see that was playing into your paranoid little hands anyway. Sure here it is for posterity's sake:
    Or you're just looking for something to whinge about and no matter what anyone says it won't be good enough. I guess you can't be seen to back down, wouldn't want to lose your crown as running joke of the Feedback forum I suppose.

You best believe you are in the bold boy corner labeled a troublesome poster.
    You have a few ip matches as well too ya? That's grounds for thinking you are a re reg.
    I AM a re-reg ffs, but they know that, I had a message waiting for me on this new account about five minutes after closing my old one, continuing a "discussion" I was having with an Admin on the previous one.

:D

I hope I am.

Jaysus, do you act like this outside boards when you don't get your way?

The mod gave a perfectly reasonable response as to their reasoning.

Seeing as you posted in the recent feedback thread you should know most people want less mod actions and less cards, not more.

Soccer has its own rules and feedback, but as I said, I'd hope they don't start dishing out dozens of cards because somebody says something bad about a United or Liverpool player, the poor players.

Now, are you going to respond to my points or just bait others into a response?

K-9 wrote: »
    Now, are you going to respond to my points or just bait others into a response?

This is the second time you've addressed me in this thread. In the last post you made there are no "points" to respond to. So I have no idea what the hell you're on about here.

This, though
    Soccer has its own rules and feedback, but as I said, I'd hope they don't start dishing out dozens of cards because somebody says something bad about a United or Liverpool player, the poor players.

Spectacularly misses the point, but you probably know that.

Point is, just to make it absolutely crystal for you, is that in that same feedback thread the main issue people had this year was muppets dragging the pool/utd rivalry into all manner of threads.

Or are you forgetting that pretty major aspect of the feedback thread to suit your agenda here? Look, just because the feedback is coming from a "usual" doesn't mean it's not valid, and I know you agree with that, at least.

This was a very obvious example of that happening, actually admitted to by the poster in a later post, but the decision made was that it was actually ok, because nobody reacted. Is it only trolls who get a reaction who are to be dealt with as trolls now?

Actually, I shouldn't be using that "t" word, I might get sanctioned for it.
    The mod gave a perfectly reasonable response as to their reasoning.

I don't think it's reasonable at all, in fact, it's pretty unreasonable.

"nobody reacted, so trolling is ok" is not reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jaysus you're an awful pain in the hole. If you go on like this in the soccer forum it's no wonder it is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Jaysus you're an awful pain in the hole. If you go on like this in the soccer forum it's no wonder it is the way it is.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100239876&postcount=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Touché :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

So do mods have a good sneer at some users in their forum or am I picking that up wrong?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Point is, just to make it absolutely crystal for you, is that in that same feedback thread the main issue people had this year was muppets dragging the pool/utd rivalry into all manner of threads.
    I'm not saying this was not brought up but it was a relatively minor point compared to the discussions on the humour thread and the use of childish names

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm not saying this was not brought up but it was a relatively minor point compared to the discussions on the humour thread and the use of childish names

If I recall correctly, it was the most thanked issue in a thread where we were told that the decisions would be made on the basis of the things most thanked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So do mods have a good sneer at some users in their forum or am I picking that up wrong?
    There is no "sneering" going on amongst the Soccer Mods. They do keep track of some posters who have a "colourful" record in the forum or if there is a track record for re-regging to avoid forum bans, but TBH that has reduced significantly as the mods have weeded out the more troublesome posters over recent years.

Beasty wrote: »
    There is no "sneering" going on amongst the Soccer Mods. They do keep track of some posters who have a "colourful" record in the forum or if there is a track record for re-regging to avoid forum bans, but TBH that has reduced significantly as the mods have weeded out the more troublesome posters over recent years.

I meant the mod forum in general.
    It's just that Mickeroo said Baldy was the running joke of the feedback thread. I assumed it was somewhere we can't see?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I meant the mod forum in general.
    It's just that Mickeroo said Baldy was the running joke of the feedback thread. I assumed it was somewhere we can't see?

Feedback forum, not thread. My opinion no-one else's.

This is the second time you've addressed me in this thread. In the last post you made there are no "points" to respond to. So I have no idea what the hell you're on about here.

This, though

Spectacularly misses the point, but you probably know that.

Or are you forgetting that pretty major aspect of the feedback thread to suit your agenda here? Look, just because the feedback is coming from a "usual" doesn't mean it's not valid, and I know you agree with that, at least.

This was a very obvious example of that happening, actually admitted to by the poster in a later post, but the decision made was that it was actually ok, because nobody reacted. Is it only trolls who get a reaction who are to be dealt with as trolls now?

Actually, I shouldn't be using that "t" word, I might get sanctioned for it.

I don't think it's reasonable at all, in fact, it's pretty unreasonable.

"nobody reacted, so trolling is ok" is not reasonable.

I was talking about that sitewide feedback thread that called for less visible moderation and cards, you posted in it yourself, so you knew what I was referring to.

Trolls shouldn't be reacted to and when posters don't do that, it should be very much encouraged, something that isn't done enough on the site and in soccer imo. Everybody should want more of that because trolls don't win and it makes for better threads.

"Nobody reacted so trolling is ok" is you reading what you want into the comments, twisting it. Why are you putting that into quotes when nobody said such a thing? Why are you leaving out parts that don't suit?

The poster I'm sure will be kept an eye on and if they do it again will be told, warned or red carded. Often reported posts are acted on that way, they aren't ignored, the poster or a thread will be kept an eye on.

You might find that unreasonable but sitewide feedback wants more of this type of modding.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Feedback forum, not thread. My opinion no-one else's.

Fair enough. 'Running joke' suggested it was more than just yourself involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Talk about creating a mountain out of a molehill. Baldy Conscience you really need to get out more if you count that as trolling.

Advertisement