Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 toll location

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CiniO wrote: »
    So maybe I'm the only one doing that, in which case indeed M50 toll doesn't contribute much to city traffic.

You aren't the only one. My parents have a fear of the toll even though I've both their cars on a video account. A few years ago at Christmas I left one relatives house on the Southside to visit another on the Northside. I took the M50 and was there in a few minutes we where starting to get worried when they arrived nearly an hour later, they took the city.

I always work on the total cost of a journey and if it means that it costs me more than a certain amount of my personal time I'll take the tolled route, I cost my personal time at more than the proposed living wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    You aren't the only one. My parents have a fear of the toll even though I've both their cars on a video account. A few years ago at Christmas I left one relatives house on the Southside to visit another on the Northside. I took the M50 and was there in a few minutes we where starting to get worried when they arrived nearly an hour later, they took the city.

I always work on the total cost of a journey and if it means that it costs me more than a certain amount of my personal time I'll take the tolled route, I cost my personal time at more than the proposed living wage.

See, I don't look at it that way.
    I don't try to convert my personal time to cost when I'm driving, purely because I just love driving.
    The more I do it, the better.

In other words, the longer the journey takes me, that happier I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I don't try to convert my personal time to cost when I'm driving, purely because I just love driving.

Which part of the city is so great to be at anytime?

We all enjoy driving, but sitting in the traffic for an hour or two? Where's the fun?

wonski wrote: »
    Which part of the city is so great to be at anytime?

We all enjoy driving, but sitting in the traffic for an hour or two? Where's the fun?

If you do it few times a year, it can be fairly allright.

Any traffic jams I encounter normally during everyday driving, are caused by sheep on a road - that's it.

If you do it few times a year, it can be fairly allright.

Any traffic jams I encounter normally during everyday driving, are caused by sheep on a road - that's it.

Fairly allright???

Fairly on time, too I guess :)

Lamb on the road is a problem itself.

I'm out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

You would probably save more than the toll cost in fuel by taking the M50 rather than sit in traffic.

I know in my car it's more economical to take the toll rather than backroads, it's a shorter distance and a constant speed rather than stop start and backroads...plus the toll road is 50% quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Neilw wrote: »
    You would probably save more than the toll cost in fuel by taking the M50 rather than sit in traffic.

I know in my car it's more economical to take the toll rather than backroads, it's a shorter distance and a constant speed rather than stop start and backroads...plus the toll road is 50% quicker.

+1.. On open roads I watch the l/100 count drop to maybe 6-8 depending on how heavy my right foot is :)

In congested city traffic it rapidly rises to as high as 22.

My car definitely prefers the motorways and "good progress" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It takes longer but not that much longer. .

It takes so much longer, no matter the time of day.

Fairly allright???

Fairly on time, too I guess :)

Lamb on the road is a problem itself.

I'm out :)

Well, I'm going there today, so I'll see which way I'll choose.

• Advertisement

If you lived in a job, where you had to use the toll once a day, at it's cheapest rate (€2.90?), then that's €2.90 x 5.

Multiply that by a full year of work days (we'll say 300) and then divide that by the amount of days you work in a year (in this case, 300), and that works out at paying €2.90 per day. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

If you lived in a job, where you had to use the toll once a day, at it's cheapest rate (€2.90?), then that's €2.90 x 5.

Multiply that by a full year of work days (we'll say 300) and then divide that by the amount of days you work in a year (in this case, 300), and that works out at paying €2.90 per day. Madness.

That's how it was for me when I was commuting to DCU. The time difference was minor and I usually arrived 30 minutes before lectures anyway.

The cost difference is huge though especially for a student budget. Not taking the M50 took a bit longer but the distance was smaller.

For the price of the toll €2.10 I can cover 27.15 km (6.5l/100km avg. @ €1.19/litre) and the difference in fuel usage between taking the toll and skipping is very minimal so you can save quite a bit of money. The drive is way more interesting and rush hour M50 is horrible anyway with people not having a clue of which lane to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The m50 is pretty much at full capacity so if the toll was removed it would just clog up the whole road so unfortunately its not going away.
    It was originally a toll bridge that you payed to cross to be fair but the bridge part has pretty much been dropped. Tolling sections would just drive cars into housing estates and create rat runs.
    OP the toll is between the Northside and the South so for every person like you that goes South in the morning there is a person that goes North for work so it doesn't affect people on the north side disproportionately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well if you've to go from Lucan to ballymun you've to pay the toll. If you have to go from Lucan to bray, you don't have to pay any toll.

It would make much more sense from an equitable for the people point of view to have the toll at the m1/m50 junction, n4/n7 and m50/m11
    The more you use the more you pay. Max toll no more than what it's current rate.

Now don't get me wrong I'd love to see it come from motor tax, but there's two hopes for that, Bob Hope and no hope!

I respect your point, but you could say the entire Northside has the use of the airport for free, which isn't 'fair' either. My Taxi is €3 more off the bat, just because I live south of Lucan.

I'm completely against any toll on the M50, you should really be charged for entering the city beyond certain points and its entirely possible to do this.

Well, I'm going there today, so I'll see which way I'll choose.

I'm back.
    Very disappointed.

I was trying to go my usual route through Phoenix Park but the park was closed.
    It was after 11pm - is that usual that they close Phoenix park at night?

Then I though about tunnel, but it was also closed.

Eventually found my way from city centre towards N2, then M50, and took exit to Naul/Ballymun to be able to stop on my usual point on old airport road where people stop to chill out and look at planes landing/starting.

And guess what - this was closed as well covered with barriers.

What the hell is happening there in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 spintheglobe

Just pay online as it is the most convenient option by far!

• Advertisement

I'm back.
    Very disappointed.

Eventually found my way from city centre towards N2, then M50, and took exit to Naul/Ballymun to be able to stop on my usual point on old airport road where people stop to chill out and look at planes landing/starting.

They found out you are avoiding toll on the m50 and acted accordingly :D

I know some guys driving from Naas to the airport are taking Naul exit on m50 claiming it is faster this way. I never found it faster tbh. And they paid their toll anyway, so what's the point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm back.
    Very disappointed.

Our neighbours vice president came over for a visit. They also restricted access to Knock Airport and plenty of roads in Mayo.

Just pay online as it is the most convenient option by far!

No, it isn't.

And what are you talking about anyway??? We know how to pay it :)

They found out you are avoiding toll on the m50 and acted accordingly :D

They must have ;)
    I know some guys driving from Naas to the airport are taking Naul exit on m50 claiming it is faster this way. I never found it faster tbh. And they paid their toll anyway, so what's the point...

Naul exit is very handy for Blue Car park. It's literally throw of a stone.
    But I usually used it anyway even when going to the airport, just for sake of stopping for a while on that point with view on planes starting/landing, especially if I go there to pick up someone and I'm too early.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Our neighbours vice president came over for a visit. They also restricted access to Knock Airport and plenty of roads in Mayo.

All right.
    Didn't know that.

I drove from Castlebar direction through Longford and didn't see restrictions mentioned on the way.

• Advertisement

They must have ;)

Naul exit is very handy for Blue Car park. It's literally throw of a stone.
    But I usually used it anyway even when going to the airport, just for sake of stopping for a while on that point with view on planes starting/landing, especially if I go there to pick up someone and I'm too early.

If you have some spare time waiting for someone, especially if their flight is delayed, then it is a no brainer. Better than driving in circles around arrivals :D

If, however, you are running late, or booked a short term c car park ( I always get a good deal on this one), as I often do, then the airport exit is better.

I went through City once going to the airport and never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

All right.
    Didn't know that.

I drove from Castlebar direction through Longford and didn't see restrictions mentioned on the way.

You need to like Garda Traffic on Twitter or Facebook. They announced that a few days ago!

shietpilot wrote: »
    You need to like Garda Traffic on Twitter or Facebook. They announced that a few days ago!

What if I don't like Garda Traffic :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What if I don't like Garda Traffic :)

It was on as road watch too

Advertisement