Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone SE or iPhone 6

Options
  • 22-06-2016 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I am changing from my really old iPhone 4 to either a SE or iPhone 6. I have read a couple of reviews and it seems like the SE is winning hands down. The only thing I prefer is the larger screen.

Does anyone have the SE and what do ye think?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

SE is the better phone for the money, 6 has a bigger/better screen. For me it would be no contest, definitely the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I went with the SE myself (64Gb model) and I am glad I did. I have had smartphones with big screens e.g. Sony Xperia Z1. I have a laptop and a tablet so really I did not need a phone with a big screen also. Really impressed with it. It's basically a 6s (minus the 3D touch) in a 5s body. Love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

I have a 6s and want to buy the SE simply due to size.
    SE is so neat and compact... no bulk involved... and shor it has evrything the 6S has anyway so youd be mad not to go for it instead of a 6

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    I have a 6s and want to buy the SE simply due to size.
    SE is so neat and compact... no bulk involved... and shor it has evrything the 6S has anyway so youd be mad not to go for it instead of a 6
    Not entirely true, the SE doesn't have 3D Touch, which if you're using iOS 10 (out in September) you'll need 3D Touch to get the full experience. The SE also has a 1.2 Megapixel front-facing camera where as the 6S has a 5 Megapixel. We all know that megapixel numbers aren't everything but the iPhone front-facing camera has been really poor up until the 6S. The SE also doesn't have the barometer sensor not a big a deal as the 3D Touch and the poor front-facing camera but still another thing that means the SE doesn't have everything the 6S has.

My advice to the OP is to wait, September will be here before we know it. iPhone 7 or 7 SE (unlikely but might happen) is just around the corner. Even if you don't buy top of the range iPhone it'll drive the price of the second hand models downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

I have had both. I got rid of my iPhone 6 because i found the screen too big for my short thumbs :)
    If you would prefer a bigger phone, then get the 6. There isn't much of a difference except i think the SE is a little cheaper in price. They are both fast and take excellent photos and video.
    One thing i would recommend though is that you get a bigger memory. A 16GB phone is too small for these. I have had 64GB since the iPhone six. It is worth the 100 extra TBH. I haven't had a phone slowing down since due to the phone being full up.
    If you are to go with the bigger phone though, you might as well go with the iPhone 6S instead of the 6. I think the 6S and the SE have the same RAM on them. Though I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the screen size should be the deciding factor here. The only internal spec I'd be concerning myself with is the amount of storage. As said above, 16GB is not enough for anything but very basic usage and will have you upgrading sooner regardless of how much better the CPU, RAM, etc is.

I spent a lot of time dithering about the size of the 6/6S and whether it was too big, but I'd have a hard time going back to a 4-inch screen now, even with the thumb stretch problem of the 4.7-inch. It's a matter of personal preference (and hand size), but I wouldn't dismiss the larger screen until you've tried it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I have both - a personal iPhone 6 and an SE work phone.

The SE has faster finger print reader, a better camera and way way better battery life.

But there's no getting around that small assed screen.

It just cannot compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

quad_red wrote: »
    I have both - a personal iPhone 6 and an SE work phone.

The SE has faster finger print reader, a better camera and way way better battery life.

But there's no getting around that small assed screen.

It just cannot compete.

I thought the fingerprint reader was the same in the SE and the iPhone 6. (Its faster in the 6s)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

quarryman wrote: »
    I thought the fingerprint reader was the same in the SE and the iPhone 6. (Its faster in the 6s)

Really? It's feels faster but may just be new shiny feel (only got SE on Monday).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Afaik the Touch ID sensor in the SE is the same as the 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Having had the 6 since launch I could not go back to a smaller screen no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Got the SE guys and I am in love!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Got the SE guys and I am in love!!!

It's a great phone to be sure. Have a 13" MacBook Pro and have a 7" Nexus tablet. 4" phone will do me fine. Have had 5" Sony Z1 but honestly do not need a phone with a big screen.

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Upgrading from 4s. Think I will buy SE off Apple Site, 64MB one is €599. Currently use Tesco for €25 per month unlimited calls and texts to any network on rolling monthly contract. Opinions ?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Upgrading from 4s. Think I will buy SE off Apple Site, 64MB one is €599. Currently use Tesco for €25 per month unlimited calls and texts to any network on rolling monthly contract. Opinions ?

Hi Liam, I was the same had a 4s and bought an Iphone from Apple, it cost me €480 as my cousin works in Apple.

The SE is a great phone, battery lasts well over 28 hours, and I would be a big social media fan/pics/snap chats etc.

Speed of it is great too ~ all in all I am delighted with it. Just waiting on my Otter Box to come and I had to get the screen in my 4S replaced 8 times in 5 years so I am not taking my chances!!!!!!

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi Liam, I was the same had a 4s and bought an Iphone from Apple, it cost me €480 as my cousin works in Apple.

The SE is a great phone, battery lasts well over 28 hours, and I would be a big social media fan/pics/snap chats etc.

Speed of it is great too ~ all in all I am delighted with it. Just waiting on my Otter Box to come and I had to get the screen in my 4S replaced 8 times in 5 years so I am not taking my chances!!!!!!

Cheers Pecker,

You getting the otter box online? can they be got in car phone warehouse or vodafone shop ?

Cheers Pecker,

You getting the otter box online? can they be got in car phone warehouse or vodafone shop ?

Hi Liam, Yep on Amazon ~ I wanted the Defender one in Grey and couldn't find that color where I live so just ordered it online. €49 inc postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I got an SE and love it. Upgraded from 5s and it is much quicker. I deliberately had not upgraded because I did not want the larger screen.

As above get the 64Gb model

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Got my 6s yesterday and love it. Upgraded from a 5s

The Mig wrote: »
    Got my 6s yesterday and love it. Upgraded from a 5s

What type of contract are you on ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

What type of contract are you on ?
    Meteor €55 a month for 24 months