Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why bother...opinions..

• 22-06-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Travelling into dublin today...guy on some BMW yoke pulls out of the ESSO in bray a few cars up....onto the M11....all the way as far as Donnybrook he's there sitting behind the cars...no filtering, using the bus lane..nothing.. i pass him at RTE..now its raining and he's in jeans and a cordura jacket....i'm dry in the van..he actually would have been better off on the bus imo...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

well maybe he's safe and playing by the rules of the road.....

But hey when has that ever been fun. Worst of all which I see every day is motorbikes sitting in the queue for traffic lights. I don't mind people not filtering, using the bus lanes etc when traffic is moving but when it's at a stand still then I would question 'What's the point of having a bike.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It annoys me when I see that. The best part of a bike is avoiding getting stuck in traffic and then you see people sitting behind traffic on a bike. Must be people who learned in the US where lane splitting is illegal.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    well maybe he's safe and playing by the rules of the road.....

Which rule of the road are they obeying? Filtering is legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As long as he's happy, what's the issue??? :eek:

Sometimes I don't filter. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I don't mind sitting in traffic. I also don't always filter to the top of the queue at traffic lights. But, when I feel comfortable, I will filter.

Leave the poor lad alone and let him enjoy his bike. It's not always about getting to your destination as fast as possible.

Del2005 wrote: »

the legal bit was more about the bus lane usage and filtering was more about being safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Maybe it was a women....:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Paulw wrote: »

Sometimes I don't filter. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. I don't mind sitting in traffic. I also don't always filter to the top of the queue at traffic lights. But, when I feel comfortable, I will filter.

Leave the poor lad alone and let him enjoy his bike. It's not always about getting to your destination as fast as possible.

Aye -- same as in the car, some mornings you just want to space out and not pull any stunts. He could also be not long on the bike, and judging your width and skills when filtering can be a bit daunting at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Assuming the cars stopped at the lights are at or over the stop line, it is illegal to assume a position in from of them because that would require crossing the stop line.

So AFAIK the only legal/safe choice is to sit between front and second cars (in clear sight) and merge as traffic pulls away.

Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Lumen wrote: »
    Assuming the cars stopped at the lights are at or over the stop line, it is illegal to assume a position in from of them because that would require crossing the stop line.

So AFAIK the only legal/safe choice is to sit between front and second cars (in clear sight) and merge as traffic pulls away.

Right?

Legal yes. Safe, not so much. I've already had some retard try to beat me off the lights and tipped off the bike -- now I pull into the bicycle advance box or ahead of the line to be panted in front of the front car. No really, I'm sacrificing position for safety, guard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Paulw wrote: »

He didn't look happy when it passing on him..:(
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Maybe it was a women....:eek::eek:

Careful now.......:).......nah it was an ugly man......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

BMW drivers are spanners, I know, used to have one :D , These days I drive wondering why is that bike/car in front of me and address the problem forthwith :)

Sad part is i come across a lot of these "sit behind the car" types when out on my bike..and its a nightmare trying to get past them on country roads...its actually worse that passing the cars cause theyre so close together..at 50kph...and talking to each other on their intercoms..gay...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Beats the crap out of me too OP.

Fook the legalities of anything, there's no way am I not filtering to the top.

Another thing which annoys me is when I get to the top and there's a bike sitting there blocking me, I rev and the asshole doesn't budge ~ annoys the bollox out of me.

I think it's the modern way now... no thought for others in any situation,begrudgery and self interest...as my post on wave/nodding....I've been cut up by other bikers,had guys pull out in front of me and that not moving up a bit to let you up really p1sses me off...whats wrong with people..:(

Another thing which annoys me is when I get to the top and there's a bike sitting there blocking me, I rev and the asshole doesn't budge ~ annoys the bollox out of me.

The bikes annoy me too, sitting at the top of the queue and 5 bikes all pull up in front of you in a line!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Do you think we will ever be allowed to legally use the advanced stop box?
    Its designed for bicycles, but the design flaw was assuming bicycles stop at red lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pataman wrote: »
    Its designed for bicycles, but the design flaw was assuming bicycles stop at red lights!

Who cares, bikers are always going to be fastest off from the lights anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'll be f**ked if I'm sitting behind any cars if I can help it. Oh and I drive a BMW :P

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'll be f**ked if I'm sitting behind any cars if I can help it. Oh and I drive a BMW :P

Drive or ride......:P
    I can understant those adventure bikes with their "make-up" cases fitted..theyre the width of a car...:)

I've a bicycle, with a 990cc engine attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Drive or ride......:P
    I can understant those adventure bikes with their "make-up" cases fitted..theyre the width of a car...:)

Where am I supposed to put my cappuccino machine, slippers and various types of novelty pipe !!

Oh and my beemer "drives" it self what with the cruise control, lane split technology and GPS guidance :P

I've a bicycle, with a 990cc engine attached.

Are ya talking about yer "lad".........:D

I'll have to get rid of the "wanker-magnet" from the front of the bike..i swear , today and yesterday mornings i'm out for a spin when i come across these tools...guy on a sports full leathers, sliders, overpriced Rossi lid, sitting behind 2 cars and a coach...i approach ,we get to a straight piece of road, its clear..i wait..he sits there..i wait then fcuk you and i overtake the 4 items safely...check mirror down the road..still no sign..:rolleyes:
    Today..Knobby on the tourer behind some cars deliberately sits at the white line..he's checking his mirror to see how frustrated he can get me...after several minutes of patience i blast past ,he follows me until he loses talent...
    And here was me thinking all the ****.ers are in the cars....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

An anti biker thread on a bike forum.

Kinda ironic.:pac:

But I get what you are saying,some lads on bikes are just moronic in their attitude towards their road postioning and other bikers.

I had the same problem with a complete tw!t on a BMW touring bike out in Blanchardstown Centre today.Plenty of space for him to filter past,but he just sits there and blocks me and 2 other bikers.We flashed and beeped at him twice,but he wouldnt move at all.
    Lad on the Gixxer in front of me had some serious words with him as he eventually moved out of the way to let us by.

I'm hearin ya bud...giggidy..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Only thing unusual is that it was raining and he had his jeans on. But maybe he lived nearby so didn't care or already soaked so it didn't matter. Plenty of times I can't be arsed filtering.

Not a hope. The cycle lobby group went apeshít when it was suggested motorcycles could use bus lanes. Better off leaving them at it and using it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Id love to see a study done where they monitor a set of traffic lights or a busy junction over a 24 hour period and they compare the amount of cyclists who break a red light compared to the amount of bikers.

I bet you the pro cyclist lobby groups would come up with some stupid bullsh!t excuse to defend their "cyclists".:rolleyes:

Id love to see a study done where they monitor a set of traffic lights or a busy junction over a 24 hour period and they compare the amount of cyclists who break a red light compared to the amount of bikers.

I bet you the pro cyclist lobby groups would come up with some stupid bullsh!t excuse to defend their "cyclists".:rolleyes:

..also to include offending when there are visible Gardai/Traffic cars in clear view AND with a clear view of the offenders but no action is taken...:rolleyes:

Advertisement