Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby in parents bed

Options
  • 22-06-2016 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have 13 month old twin boy/girl. My little girl wakes at the same time (12.30am) every night looking for her soother which we go in and give her. Then at 3am she wakens again except this time she is screaming…..I mean really screaming…….so much so we end up bringing her into our bed for fear that she will waken her brother who sleeps in another cot next to hers. We know there is nothing seriously wrong with her as the minute we pick her up she is almost smiling knowing she is coming into our bed. So yes it is habit….and yes slap on the wrist needed for allowing this habit to happen. However, please, has anyone any suggestions on how to break the habit? All advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Unfortunately - and I know I've said this before - you have to let her at it. I'm not a fan of crying it out and didn't do it with my own but there will be a little bit of crying. So my approach would be to calm her down (not taking her out of the cot). Rub her tummy, give her soother or whatever, but tell her firmly it's time for sleeping. Then either sit in a chair in the room, or leave. If you leave, go back in 5 to 10 minutes later and repeat. Do not take her out of the cot, that is the key. If you chose to sit in the chair, keep telling her quietly it's time for sleeping. After three nights, move the chair to the door. After another three nights, sit outside the door (and go in every 10 minutes).

I know there's a chance she may wake her brother, but unfortunately you'll have to put up with that for a few nights. There's a 10 day rule - it will take up to 10 days for this to settle in properly. All things going well, it should be taking a shorter and shorter time for her to settle back to sleep by day 4/5. It's going to mean a few sleepless nights for you, and I'd suggest starting it on a Friday night, or if you have a few days off or something. Not a stretch of days where anything major is planned. I have been here too, and I know it's horrible (!!) but it will work if you hold firm. Fraid it's up to you to change your habits though, because she's not going to change hers by herself, she doesn't really know how.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Whenever my son got like that, I just picked him up for a bit until he calmed down, then put him back into his cot. Not garentee'd to work first time. But you've got to change what she expects the sequence of events to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Evian98

Thanks Dravokivich. We can try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Evian98 wrote: »
    Thanks Dravokivich. We can try that.

Be prepared for this to be stressful it might takes a few nights

I think I will leave it until the weekend!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice twistytoo. I wonder would it be a good idea to move my little boy to another room while we try your suggested method? He is sleeping right through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

When she goes asleep 1st time around, is there any differences in the room to when she wakes up later on at night? Things like music on, lights on etc. If there is then that could be the reason for her waking in the first place. What worked for us was a story then lights off and a story in the dark, then leave the room.

I wouldn't recommend letting her cry it out. Did it once and just felt I lost my daughter's trust for a while after.

Plenty of teddies in the cot may help her to feel more secure there too.

Only people with no kids are the experts about not letting them into bed. I used to be one of them :-)

Does he go back to sleep quickly enough himself?Do you think it might be better to move her out until you've cracked this maybe, rather tham disturb him even more and potentially create another problem?I don't really know I'm afraid, you know your own kids best.

Evian98 wrote: »
    I have 13 month old twin boy/girl. My little girl wakes at the same time (12.30am) every night looking for her soother which we go in and give her. Then at 3am she wakens again except this time she is screaming…..I mean really screaming…….so much so we end up bringing her into our bed for fear that she will waken her brother who sleeps in another cot next to hers. We know there is nothing seriously wrong with her as the minute we pick her up she is almost smiling knowing she is coming into our bed. So yes it is habit….and yes slap on the wrist needed for allowing this habit to happen. However, please, has anyone any suggestions on how to break the habit? All advice most welcome.

Bring her into bed, what's the problem?

We did with our two, they both moved happily to their own beds when they were ready.

Don't know why people make such a big deal of it. Lovely for young children to sleep next to Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Twisty, that is dreadful advice. You think the solution to a BABY waking up screaming at night is to just "let her at it"? Bloody hell. It sounds like this baby is having a nightmare or is in pain or whatever, letting her just cry and not comfort her is just cruel. Babies need comfort and security, not just left at it. Babies are not manipulative. Of course she's going to be happy when her parent comes in, she's back in that safe place again.

OP, it's not a bad "habit". Comfort your baby if she wakes up like that. It may just be a phase as she's got stuff on due to teething / bad dreams / whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We did with our two, they both moved happily to their own beds when they were ready.

Don't know why people make such a big deal of it. Lovely for young children to sleep next to Mum.

Depends on the family. I can't sleep next to ours, they are hot, kicky, active sleepers. If they are in the bed I cannot sleep being kicked in the head, i don't know how anyone does tbh. It's very far from lovely for me.

Also it's twins. You do this with one, what about the other? He will twig and then you will have ructions.

What we've done is let them nod off in our bed (not twins, but children sharing a room), then transfer back to cot. The waking thing should pass, that could be a leap, or a virus, or something else disturbing her.

Have you a light on, is she scared of something when she wakes? We turn on a hallway light these days when we go to bed in case they wake and freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

X 100.

And Dad !!

We kept ours in the bed with us as long as they wanted to be there. They moved into their own rooms themselves when they were ready. Between 3 and 4 for both of them and yes we had 2 of them for a time :eek:

We just bought a massive bed, nearly took up the whole room but waking up to their smiley faces every morning was worth it and we all got a full nights sleep so win win all round :)

I see so many parents tear their hair out over this. Losing hours and hours of sleep just to keep them in their own rooms. It never made sense to me but i'm sure plenty of stuff we do doesn't make sense to others.

But for us, life is challenging enough without giving ourselves extra pressure. If sharing our bed with the kids for a few years could give everyone an easier life, then it's a no brainer.

I do really enjoy having my own bed back now though :pac:

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Twisty, that is dreadful advice. You think the solution to a BABY waking up screaming at night is to just "let her at it"? Bloody hell. It sounds like this baby is having a nightmare or is in pain or whatever, letting her just cry and not comfort her is just cruel. Babies need comfort and security, not just left at it. Babies are not manipulative. Of course she's going to be happy when her parent comes in, she's back in that safe place again.

OP, it's not a bad "habit". Comfort your baby if she wakes up like that. It may just be a phase as she's got stuff on due to teething / bad dreams / whatever.[/QUOTE/]

If you read the rest of my post, I clarified that.I did not say do not comfort her or anything about manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends on the family. I can't sleep next to ours, they are hot, kicky, active sleepers. If they are in the bed I cannot sleep being kicked in the head, i don't know how anyone does tbh. It's very far from lovely for me.

Our toddler is like this, bringing her into our bed does nothing. She just thinks it's time to play. She doesn't associate our bed with sleeping. It has never worked for me to bring her into our bed, not once! She just won't sleep in our bed

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I have 7 year old b/g twins....I just let them cosleep with us until they decided to move out (around 3 for the son and 4 for the daughter. We just pushed 2 double beds together when they got a bit bigger. Happy rested baby, happy rested mummy and daddy

lollsangel wrote: »
    I have 7 year old b/g twins....I just let them cosleep with us until they decided to move out (around 3 for the son and 4 for the daughter. We just pushed 2 double beds together when they got a bit bigger. Happy rested baby, happy rested mummy and daddy

The thing I wonder about cosleeping that you never hear anyone talk about is surely it affects Mummy & Daddy's sexual relationship though? Although I suppose that's a good free contraceptive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Lucuma wrote: »
    The thing I wonder about cosleeping that you never hear anyone talk about is surely it affects Mummy & Daddy's sexual relationship though? Although I suppose that's a good free contraceptive :rolleyes:

More places than just the bedroom hehe.

lollsangel wrote: »
    More places than just the bedroom hehe.

And more times than nighttime?

Because the bit I don't get is the part where you are stuck there for the evening? My 5 year old has a bedrail, rolls out of the bed (the bottom of it) regularly still (we have a pile of pillows there). The other little girl is the same.

If you are not sandwiching them in, are they not landing on the floor while you are off being awake somewhere else? Or are there adult bedrails going on. Or do you stay there or sleep the hours they sleep? And if so, how do you get anything done!

I dunno, maybe my kids are weird or something. Staying put is not in their nature, and I have other stuff to do in the evenings when they are asleep.

I remember when we went to a hotel with them, and tried a family room. God almighty what a disaster. We had to shove the double beds up against walls, and put me in one and my husband in the other, with a child in each, between us and the wall. They fell asleep at about 8, and we sat there in the dark for a few hours, kinda whispering. Bored stiff. Husband had the great idea of going to the hotel bar. He nipped down and came back up with two beers. In the meantime, kid in his bed had rolled out, but I'd managed to catch her and get her back to sleep. Felt like complete scumbags, gatting in the room with sleeping children.

Then we fell asleep, and each tried to stay asleep in the inch of bed remaining with a starfish shaped child flapping about in it all night.

Never again.

imagesbaby-sleep-positions1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That's just hilarious!!
    I'm in the knots laughing. If our toddler is in our bed "The roundhouse kick" looks familiar with her foot in my face!! I'm grumpy the next day after a crap sleep as my hubby has a great sleep!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Because the bit I don't get is the part where you are stuck there for the evening? My 5 year old has a bedrail, rolls out of the bed (the bottom of it) regularly still (we have a pile of pillows there). The other little girl is the same.

If you are not sandwiching them in, are they not landing on the floor while you are off being awake somewhere else? Or are there adult bedrails going on. Or do you stay there or sleep the hours they sleep? And if so, how do you get anything done!

I dunno, maybe my kids are weird or something. Staying put is not in their nature, and I have other stuff to do in the evenings when they are asleep.

I remember when we went to a hotel with them, and tried a family room. God almighty what a disaster. We had to shove the double beds up against walls, and put me in one and my husband in the other, with a child in each, between us and the wall. They fell asleep at about 8, and we sat there in the dark for a few hours, kinda whispering. Bored stiff. Husband had the great idea of going to the hotel bar. He nipped down and came back up with two beers. In the meantime, kid in his bed had rolled out, but I'd managed to catch her and get her back to sleep. Felt like complete scumbags, gatting in the room with sleeping children.

Then we fell asleep, and each tried to stay asleep in the inch of bed remaining with a starfish shaped child flapping about in it all night.

Never again.

I tuck pillows and quilt around my little one if I leave her in a bed. We've stayed I'm numerous hotels. I transfer to travel cot one she's asleep and we stick on the TV and have a few drinks. Easy.

No, we put them to bed as normal, around 7pm, and go about our normal business. We always had a massive bed with wooden bedguards on each side to stop anyone falling out. When it's time for us to go to bed, around 10:30pm, we get in next to them. That's it.

Still don't get the big deal. So much pressure on first-time parents not to bring children into bed for some reason, and miss out on one of the nicest experiences of being a parent, waking up to your child's smiling face.

They are young children, they are much happier sleeping next to Mum or/and Dad. They love it. We all wake up happier.

As for sex, we have four bedrooms, we have three children so far. It's not an issue.

No, we put them to bed as normal, around 7pm, and go about our normal business. We always had a massive bed with wooden bedguards on each side to stop anyone falling out. When it's time for us to go to bed, around 10:30pm, we get in next to them. That's it.

Still don't get the big deal. So much pressure on first-time parents not to bring children into bed for some reason, and miss out on one of the nicest experiences of being a parent, waking up to your child's smiling face.

They are young children, they are much happier sleeping next to Mum or/and Dad. They love it. We all wake up happier.

As for sex, we have four bedrooms, we have three children so far. It's not an issue.

Lol, I get it now... The difference is that you're bloody loaded! Massive bed with adult size bed rails in huge 4 bed house, sure that would make a difference alright. :D

Us mere peasants with normal sized beds, no custom bedrails and a two bed house with 5 people living in it, sleep in our own beds so we can get any sleep at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

It definitely does not suit some families. I've loads of friends who have their kids in the bed every night and they love it. Neither my husband nor I ever wanted it for the simple reason is that we would get less sleep with him in it, himself gets in late off night shifts, or his alarm goes off early for early shifts. And to be honest, I really enjoy my sleep time and having my own personal space - guaranteed every night. Just wouldn't work.

However, I've napped with the wee man before and you're right it was lovely waking up with him there, and we nearly both look at it as a novelty/treat. We're going on hols soon and will be all sharing a big bed and I'm looking forward to it as we'll all be on similar schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I reckon it could be worth giving the co-sleeping a go. Although I'd be inclined to take her in with you at the start of the night rather than wait for her to wake up screaming. Hopefully she'll get in the habit of sleeping through quite quickly in the bed with you, and once you've established that you can try her in the cot again and see if she continues to sleep through.

Your little boy probably won't even notice since he's sleeping through anyways. I wouldn't worry about forming bad habits, her language skills will come on in the next few months and it'll be easier to reason with her if you want to try her in the cot again. Anyways, you don't ever hear of teenagers still sleeping in the cot with their parents! :D She might even miss sleeping near her brother, once the novelty wears off, and be happy to go back in with him.

Gro-clocks are a good idea for when they're a little older, she'd be too young to understand the concept now, but you could maybe buy one when you decide to try her in her own room again. Also have you considered when you're going to move her into a bed/toddler bed ... the novelty of that might help too!

Also simple things like throwing 2/3 soothers in the cot so she's more likely to find one when she wakes. (If you don't want to do the co-sleeping.) Perhaps a change to a more absorbent nappy (the ones with the plus after them in whatever size) just in case that's what's waking her up. If you're using gro-bags, try blankets instead (so she can kick them off if she's too warm), or vice versa if you're using blankets a gro-bag might work better and make her feel more secure. Play around with putting music playing through the night - loads of long lullaby playlists on Youtube. If there's a nightlight in the room, try going without, or try getting one if you don't have one.

Or if you have space in your bedroom, you could try temporarily moving her cot in there - it might be enough for her to just be in the room with you, without actually coming into the bed.

I guess it's trial and error, different things work for different babies, and I imagine it's difficult with twins when something's working for one of them and not the other! But every baby and family are different ... I definitely wouldn't rule out the co-sleeping though, the easiest solutions are sometimes the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Turtle001 wrote: »
    Plenty of teddies in the cot may help her to feel more secure there too.

I'd just be cautious about this with the age she's at, it probably won't be long till she could manage to climb on them and escape from the cot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Co-sleeping is the only way we get sleep some nights. Definitely for the first 18 months. It's now become no-sleeping, especially when child decides I don't belong in the bed at all (at which point I retreat to his, same sized, king size bed). Find what works for you and don't worry about habits forming - how many 16 year olds do you know still co-sleeping?

Lol, I get it now... The difference is that you're bloody loaded! Massive bed with adult size bed rails in huge 4 bed house, sure that would make a difference alright. :D

Us mere peasants with normal sized beds, no custom bedrails and a two bed house with 5 people living in it, sleep in our own beds so we can get any sleep at all.

LOL!

Advertisement