Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joke or not ?

Options
  • 22-06-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Is someone just taking a piss or is it for real?

http://www.dopedbikes.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

omri wrote: »
    Is someone just taking a piss or is it for real?

http://www.dopedbikes.com

I am sure this is real, inevitable once the technology is available that it will be sold. Alas my Di2 takes up the seatpost battery space so I am ineligble.

Surprised how expensive it is though, it could be just a "vivax assist" (which is the brand i have previously heard of on these boards) repackaged and with an added markup or I wonder have they developed their own system?

Anyway it is one thing for pro's who have a financial incentive to cheat to use this sort of doping, hard to imagine why a non-pro racer or strava junkie would do so.

If all you can "win" is satisfaction at your own achievements why would you take all the good out of that by cheating and cost yourself the price of a nice new bike while you are at it? I think I linked an article from the guardian previously suggesting this was becoming more common for sportives etc. though.

If someone wanted this for non racing I can't see the harm, though I certainly can't see the attraction either. the whole point of going for a leisure ride is to cycle - if you just want to spin around to see the sights why not just ride a moped?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fian wrote: »
    Alas my Di2 takes up the seatpost battery space so I am ineligble.
    Maybe we need something to properly harness the Di2 battery power rather than directing it only at shifting gears. Perhaps a business opportunity for someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Less shame than a triple, IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Less shame than a triple, IMHO

Oy nothing wrong with triples

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Oy nothing wrong with triples

Ah I've one myself, only kidding. "better to be looking at it, than for it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

They have a model called the SUPERDISCRETO too..sneaky sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

People will buy it, so somebody's going to sell it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK lads - from the FAQs
    What do I do if the motor is discovered?

You won't be discovered. We know you will have no problems. However if you are discovered do not dislose the remote control. This way you can deny knowldge and explain it is a borrowed bike.
    Maybe they supplied that CX bike

Wonder what plan B is?

Can they be retrofitted to Cervelos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Love this bit...

This system is much safer than regular program of AICAR or EPO. Get 50 watts of instant power without risking your body health.

!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

When people hear motors they think cheating.

Reckon like power meters and garmin before they will become the next big thing and gain common acceptance.

Not talking racing of course but think of the many situations where people would like to cycle together but levels are a bit too far apart. Once the price comes down and technology understood it will be a real winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The "borrowed bike" plea did not work for this cyclo cross rider though.
    She said at the time that the bike used to be hers but that she sold it to a family friend. She claimed that he had put a motor in unbeknownst to her, and that he had brought the bike to the world cyclocross championships to ride the course.
    She also said that this bike was taken by accident by her helpers to the pit area.
    Banned for six years.
    And her brother is also banned.. for using EPO.
    I wonder if they have ever tried doing a bit of training, it can work wonders :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

recedite wrote: »
    The "borrowed bike" plea did not work for this cyclo cross rider though.
    Banned for six years.
    And her brother is also banned.. for using EPO.
    I wonder if they have ever tried doing a bit of training, it can work wonders :pac:

And her brother, father and family friend were caught robbing exotic birds from a pet shop in Belgium!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

i was on my holiers in france recently in an area with excellent cycle tracks. the majority of bike rental spots out there had hybrids with bosch motor assists. a lot of the people in the campsite with me brought their own hybrids/mtb's with motor assist built in, so its definitely becoming a normalized concept in my eyes. its not to far a leap for one of these people to decide they'd like to partake in road biking with the same ease of use.

re the question of satisfaction. i cant imagine anyone being genuinely proud to make a strava top ten with a motor in their bike, but you'll get people willing to use these things just to hang in with their local club ride without coughing up a lung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

letape wrote: »
    And her brother, father and family friend were caught robbing exotic birds from a pet shop in Belgium!
    Its the latest "must have" vitamin supplement. If you inject bird blood directly into your veins you will fly up the hills.

Nah, only joking... don't try this at home kids!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A relatively well known and reasonably well respected Dutch retailer of high end bikes is selling these too, built into Wiliers and some other.

The cx bike that was found was a wilier too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

letape wrote: »

Will they all do "bird" :)

It's actually mad that they so up front that what they are selling will be used for cheating. They could say how you use it is up to you. Its not illegal to have one or use it in public, but using it in competition is illegal in sporting terms (mechanical doping) and may be construed as theft/fraud if you are using it to earn/win/make money you otherwise would not be able to.

On that point they say:
    We have used the most efficient technologies for this system and if used correctly the prize money you will win will pay for the price of the motor in one

In my view medical/chemical doping is real bad but mechanical doping is the new low!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think that ad. is a lot like those "hidden" hearing aid companies. Bragging about specifications and size and discreetness, then charge some gullible pensioner 1500 per ear for something worth 300. There has to be 2000 profit per bike in those systems!

Advertisement