Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Employed to applying for work

Options
  • 22-06-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have been self-employed since 2004 when I completed a diploma course in Computer repairs and network installation but recently, or should I say for the last two or so years there has been little or no business and I have had to subsidise my lack of income by returning to what I did prior to the two year course I was on, construction. A buddy of mine has a little business and I fall in with him doing a bit to make a bit of extra cash. I have not signed on through all this even though my partner wants me to.

I have recently sent out CV's looking for anything that gives me a steady reliable income. On the CV I have stated that I was self-employed since 2004 and prior to this I worked in the construction industry in England.

The thing is, most of the work I have done over those years from the IT work to the private construction work has been off the books. There has been good times and bad times, but I prefer to work for myself, be my own boss, all that kind of stuff.

I have an interview coming up should I just be honest and tell them that my self-employment has been off the books and subsidised with occasional construction work, or just go with the flow.

At this stage I need to get some steady employment, for reasons I don't want to go into hear.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do not mention "off the books", that just screams "I'm a liar".

Just say that you've been self-employed, but that it's not viable to continue any longer. Don't get drawn into details.

If an employer wants to do reference / background checks, they will probably want to talk to your accountant, to verify your self-employment status. If you haven't retained an accountant, then you may have a problem getting that job, or they may be willing to accept a reference from a customer instead. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I agree - don't mention being off the books. In the recent economic climate lots of self employed people will be looking for work so an interviewer probably won't question you too much. Just say you were self employed in x area and are now looking for stability of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭HandoLogan

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

How you were paid, be it "Off the books" or "On the books" would be of no concern for the interviewer and would not arise in the interview anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

davo2001 wrote: »
    How you were paid, be it "Off the books" or "On the books" would be of no concern for the interviewer and would not arise in the interview anyways.

Some employees may look up the company on solo check to see if it was actually self employed or just on the scratcher.

Op I Persume you were claiming benefits while pocketing the cash without paying taxes. Some emoloyers would frown on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ted1 wrote: »
    Some employees may look up the company on solo check to see if it was actually self employed or just on the scratcher.

Op I Persume you were claiming benefits while pocketing the cash without paying taxes. Some emoloyers would frown on this

He said that he had not signed on.

Advertisement