Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crisp sambo pp quote?

• 22-06-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Im sure lots have seen the crisp sambo thing popping up on fb etc. I enquired with our hotel about it and they said that while we couldn't supply it ourselves, they could do it for is, at wait for it, €3.50pp :eek:

Is that not a bit much for 2 slices of bread and a packet of Tayto??

Anyone else getting this done or have quotes from their hotel to have it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Is this the yoke that you get the packet of crisps and bread in a little pack individually?

This started from people just getting a few sliced pans and packets of crisps thrown on the tables. Be better to do that and much cheaper.

No need for individual portions. Kind of takes the relaxed point of it away and there'll be plenty of people with zero interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Is this the yoke that you get the packet of crisps and bread in a little pack individually?

This started from people just getting a few sliced pans and packets of crisps thrown on the tables. Be better to do that and much cheaper.

No need for individual portions. Kind of takes the relaxed point of it away and there'll be plenty of people with zero interest.

No im not looking for that, i just want to leave the bread and crisps down and let people help themselves, nothing fancy. But the hotel are saying they want to charge €3.50pp for doing it if we want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

andreac wrote: »
    No im not looking for that, i just want to leave the bread and crisps down and let people help themselves, nothing fancy. But the hotel are saying they want to charge €3.50pp for doing it if we want it.

That is a ridiculous amount to be charged. I have no idea of the cost of anything related to weddings, but this seems very over-priced. :eek::eek:

I really like this idea btw! Much better than a sweet table.

That is a ridiculous amount to be charged. I have no idea of the cost of anything related to weddings, but this seems very over-priced. :eek::eek:

I really like this idea btw! Much better than a sweet table.

I have an email drafted up to send back to them, and i have let my feelings known about it, but in a nice way. Yes, crazy money to be honest. Won't be paying that, that's for sure.

That's completely outrageous. Not a hope I'd pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭hotshots85

I bought a few boxes of crisps wholesale, mentioned it to the hotal and they provided the bread and butter with the evening food for nothing. Picked up a few decorative baskets in Tiger for cheap to make it look nice. Some places are really creaming it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

20 slices of bread in a pan. 10 sanwiches. 2e a pan. 20 cents per sandwich.
    Can bulk buy the crisps, usually works about 40-50c per bag. Lets say 50c per.
    Butter. nominal. about 5 cents per

total 75c per sandwich to make.

Ive heard of some hotels charging akin to a corkage fee and other hotels not charging. If they're charging you nearly 500% of the price of the sandwich its obviously not worth your while doing it but try to come to some reasonable agreement with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

We had the best intentions of doing it at ours, but between things it never got laid out. But the next day it did. We just had a loaf of bread in baskets and butter and bags of crisps.. Ours was self catering so we just went to cash and carry to do it.. Im sure if you pushed them and said you would get it all and set it up they might let ye off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They won't 'let' you do it? As far as I am aware there is no food safety issue with some bread, crisps and little packets of butter. If it was hang sandwiches or egg mayo or the like I could see their point. Tell them to swing for their 3.50pp.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Im sure lots have seen the crisp sambo thing popping up on fb etc. I enquired with our hotel about it and they said that while we couldn't supply it ourselves, they could do it for is, at wait for it, €3.50pp :eek:

Is that not a bit much for 2 slices of bread and a packet of Tayto??

Anyone else getting this done or have quotes from their hotel to have it?
    Ludacris!!! :eek:

I've emailed my wedding coordinator about this but she's not back till tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what she says. I've emailed a list of different things but with regards the crip sammiches I've basically said I want to provide it and do it so I'm not asking them for a price... Chancing my arm maybe but sure if you're not in ya can't win :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

€3.50 pp for crisp sambos is gouging! I've been at 2 weddings where bread and crisps were brought out in the residents bar and the B&G supplied it, the hotel didn't charge in either case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My hotel have just replied to me - no problem with us doing them. Going to Ikea for the ziplock bags (have them on sale) and musgraves for the rest - unless dunnes is cheaper which it can be sometimes. OH is going to get the lads to make them up the morning of the wedding!

Dovies wrote: »
    My hotel have just replied to me - no problem with us doing them. Going to Ikea for the ziplock bags (have them on sale) and musgraves for the rest - unless dunnes is cheaper which it can be sometimes. OH is going to get the lads to make them up the morning of the wedding!
    Ah that's great Dovies. Ill be very annoyed if our hotel wont even let us do it cost price even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

What about this

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

thejaguar wrote: »
    What about this

Yeah @Dovies I would just let everyone help themselves rather than have people make them the morning of your wedding...

I also want a crisp sandwich now!!! :D

Probably nearly better not to even mention it to the hotel and do them as wedding favours ;)

Yeah @Dovies I would just let everyone help themselves rather than have people make them the morning of your wedding...

I also want a crisp sandwich now!!! :D

Boss wants to make them up so let him! I want one too but slimming world says no :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It's the same a going to McDonald's, using their tables/toilets/bins, but bringing burger and chips you made at home cheaper. So I can see why they'd charge. They sell crisps and bread, so why should they let you bring your own.

But, they've massively over-priced it - they would probably rather you paid for an evening buffet instead maybe. I think 1.50/2.00 a head would be fair, to cover cost and clean up etc.

Yeah even if it was that price or we covered cost price of bread and crisps. We aren't expecting it for free so would have been buying the stuff ourselves anyway. But 3.50 to put out bread and crisps on a table? i don't think so. We are getting evening food as part of our package, plus are getting over €10,000 as part of our wedding package with our numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I think it's horrible and tacky. All guests stinking of cheese and onion breath, can't imagine anything worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

wyndham wrote: »
    I think it's horrible and tacky. All guests stinking of cheese and onion breath, can't imagine anything worse.

Ahh.... delicious cheese and onion breath - one of my favourite things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

That is ridiculous ! We just decided to do this the other day because my Fiance saw the pic and got excited. A friend has a cart so I'm taking that. And I'll go to the local cash and carry for crisps and little dairy gold butters. I'm guessing it will cost about 20 euro.

michellie wrote: »
    That is ridiculous ! We just decided to do this the other day because my Fiance saw the pic and got excited. A friend has a cart so I'm taking that. And I'll go to the local cash and carry for crisps and little dairy gold butters. I'm guessing it will cost about 20 euro.

Is your hotel allowing it, yeah?

Can't be much worse than alcohol and smoke breath lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I think its horrible because Id want something far more substantial than a measly crisp and bread sambo if I was full of drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think its horrible because Id want something far more substantial than a measly crisp and bread sambo if I was full of drink.

I'd say that's coming too. I thought it was just in place of something like a sweet cart?

This is an extra, along with the evening food, as a little treat. Im not looking to give it instead of the evening food, it's along with it.

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd say that's coming too. I thought it was just in place of something like a sweet cart?

Fair enough.

Ive been at weddings where only the most miserable scraps were provided very late in the evening with no where to get anything decent (ie, country house hotel on its own land).

On one memorable occasion there was only enough food provided for less than half the guests meaning only the first up to the cart thing got anything and the rest of us were dribbling at the smell of it but lack of it!!

Fair enough.

Ive been at weddings where only the most miserable scraps were provided very late in the evening with no where to get anything decent (ie, country house hotel on its own land).

On one memorable occasion there was only enough food provided for less than half the guests meaning only the first up to the cart thing got anything and the rest of us were dribbling at the smell of it but lack of it!!

Food for thought for my own wedding. I'm never hungry at that time of the evening, just eat because it's there

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Food for thought for my own wedding. I'm never hungry at that time of the evening, just eat because it's there

Nothing worse than going to bed hungry after a feed of drink!

It also depends on the timing of the rest of the food that day and how far people had to travel. If the dinner was early then people are going to be hungrier later on. But if the dinner is late people might be starving having only been able to have breakfast then having to travel to get to the wedding and missing lunch.

Nowadays I bring food myself (a bag of mixed nuts from LIDL - loads of calories and easy on the stomach) in case there is hunger :)

Nothing worse than going to bed hungry after a feed of drink!

It also depends on the timing of the rest of the food that day and how far people had to travel. If the dinner was early then people are going to be hungrier later on. But if the dinner is late people might be starving having only been able to have breakfast then having to travel to get to the wedding and missing lunch.

Nowadays I bring food myself (a bag of mixed nuts from LIDL - loads of calories and easy on the stomach) in case there is hunger :)

You remind me of someone :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Ballymaloe relish is lovely with crisp sambos, for anyone thinking of doing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Can't be much worse than alcohol and smoke breath lol :D

At 11pm they'll all be stinking of BO to be honest and if there were no sambos they'd probably be stinking of sausages or chicken wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Is your hotel allowing it, yeah?

Yep, was emailing the manager yesterday and they have no problem!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Our venue for back to us today and they're also allowing us provide it and there is absolutely no charges whatsoever! Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

hmm... I'd be a bit worried about having the lads doing this the morning of the wedding. Would then not want to chill out themselves? I can see in many situations them just running out of time. Unless maybe you're having a small wedding or it's starting late in the day.

PS: just saw your other post that Groom wants to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Are they making the actual sandwiches, or putting together a crisp sandwich making pack?

jlm29 wrote: »
    Are they making the actual sandwiches, or putting together a crisp sandwich making pack?

No just making the packs up - only doing 50 as its for the residents bar at 2am or thereabouts. It will be my OH and our 2 sons - both 18 - so will keep them occupied for an hour or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 The_Stranger

I think this is a great idea. Might run it past our wedding coordinator to see if we would be allowed to do it ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

This thread ruined my diet. I went and got a toasted butter and cheese crisp sandwich for breakfast yesterday....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement