Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit shooting .17 or .22???

• 22-06-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

A friend is looking for a rabbit rifle , I have a .22 and I know what it's capable of .... Is a rim fire .17 much better as regards distance , accuracy and stopping power ? How much are a box of bullets ... Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

hi,yes .17 will kill at longer distance,is accurate ,and has good stopping power within its range,i had one but sold it and now use a .22 for reasons being,,.17 was just too loud,worse at night,any slight wind will effect accuracy,bullets at around ,€18 per 50,im much happier with the .22,thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Same for me , plus it needed to be cleaned regularly, and there was a lot of damage to the meat.
    When it worked I could hit out to 200 mt., but I got a .22 which I much prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

There was another thread on the practical application of each type for rabbits there about a week ago - there are times where terrain will dictate that one is the better choice over the other, but that's usually when the job can't be done safely or effectively by the 22. Can't imagine too many folk taking the .17 over it for any other reason. Great caliber 'n' all but FAR louder and far more expensive to feed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've bounced between the .22lr and the hmr for the last few years.

One always seemed to have an advantage over the other. In the end i bought both calibers.

The .22lr is quieter and cheaper to feed. However it's limited on range and effectiveness on large game.

The HMR has more range, more effective on larger game. However it's supersonic so louder, and has the same wind drift as a .22lr over the same distances (more or less).

I done a fairly comprehensive comparison between the two from a ballistics point of view. Here is the post.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

foxer 204 wrote: »
    A friend is looking for a rabbit rifle , I have a .22 and I know what it's capable of .... Is a rim fire .17 much better as regards distance , accuracy and stopping power ? How much are a box of bullets ... Cheers

To answer your question-
    Yes yes and yes.

Deciding factor as always is personal preference. Would I change my .17 to a .22lr for rabbiting? No chance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Ive both 17hmr and .22lr and use the 17hmr for rabbits 8/10 times. The only reason the .22lr comes out is when noise is an issue. Id sooner get rid of the .22 than the .17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

foxer 204 wrote:

I have used .22wmr &.22lr in the past, changed the .22wmr to a .17hmr and would never change back, it is far more accurate with longer range. With the crack I don't mind if you hit what your were aiming for no worries if you didn't you wait till the next target appears.

Advertisement