Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with foot pump

Options
  • 22-06-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, bit of an embarrassing problem here.....

I 'm having trouble pumping the wheels on my road bike using a foot pump.

I am using the correct connection (presta) on the pump and am turning the head of the valve anti-clockwise to open it.

I attach the pump to the head of the valve, turn the knob to lock it.

However when I pump it, the gauge only goes as far as 2 bar and am meeting a lot of resistance when pushing the rod back down. (Basically it can't go any further down)

I went on a sportive recently thinking I had enough pressure in my tires (felt hardish) there was a local cycling shop and they checked my tire pressure. It was at 2 bar. They kindly pumped up my tires and off I went.

There isn't anything wrong with the tube,tire or pump from what I can gather just its user!

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? :o

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Before you apply the pump connection, press the valve to release air.... sometimes they are slightly stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What kind of pump is it? If the tyres are completed flat/deflated does it pump them to 2bar? If so then it's simply a rubbish pump. You need a track pump, most foot pumps are for car tyres which need 40psi absolute max.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The same thing happens to me with a Maxiss tube. All other tubes are fine. It's just a finicky valve. As said, press the valve and release some air. Sometimes I have to do it a few times. Other times I can hear a click from the valve as pressure builds in the pump line.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

secman wrote: »
    Before you apply the pump connection, press the valve to release air.... sometimes they are slightly stuck.

Will give it a try cheers.
    What kind of pump is it? If the tyres are completed flat/deflated does it pump them to 2bar? If so then it's simply a rubbish pump. You need a track pump, most foot pumps are for car tyres which need 40psi absolute max.

I bought a cheap pump, then i bought this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-track-pump/rp-prod39688

Having the same issue with both pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If secman's suggestion of pressing the valve to release some air doesn't work, you may be putting the pump-head down too far over the valve - you should only cover the threads that hold the dust-cap - depending on the pump-head design, covering up the threads that hold the locating-collar may block things up, as per your OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Will give it a try cheers.

I bought a cheap pump, then i bought this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-track-pump/rp-prod39688

Having the same issue with both pumps.

I have a Joe Blow, and I literally have to put all of my weight on the handle to get the pressure up to the required psi. If it feels like it's getting to 40-50 psi then it stops, it can be persuaded to go higher. Well, mine can. I push it down until it meets resistance, then bob my full weight up and down on it. Can get over 100psi that way

Advertisement