Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for hospital ( NO MC)

Options
  • 22-06-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi everyone.
    Just want to ask, how much they will charge me?

Child was in a playgroud. He broke his arm.
    Emergency pick up us. They did xray, spend all night, and got operation in the morning.
    Same day evening we went home.
    In week time we will have xray again. ( wish everything will be ok)

What you think, how much they will charge?

P.s. I know emergency 100€" and one nigh 75€... But xrays,medicamwns,calpol,arm sling and operation...? ( whey didn need any cut or plates in his hand, they just fix somehow by stretching, i dint know how, but my sone fall a sleep for an hour ans they done)

WE DINT HAVE MEDUCAL CARD, ONLY GP CARD... ( its 3 kids,,one working...but getting 6€ over)...i know...terrible...tryed to call to MC centre, but nobody cant help,unpees you have illness!

Or it is any help,to get MC..? They sick a lot, have to pay for all medicaments...sometimes i go every week to gp..

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes my thoughts would be €100 for emergency charge and then €75 for the night there, no additional charges should be other than that.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/gp_and_hospital_services/hospital_charges.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

€175 is the max you will pay.
    If you get a bill, ring the number on the letter and arrange easy payments for you.
    7 weeks at €25 per week would be acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

The €100 charge is waived if you are admitted as an inpatient, imo you will just have the €75 charge for 1 night

I can't post the link but the information is on the citizens information website

nailstar wrote: »
    The €100 charge is waived if you are admitted as an inpatient, imo you will just have the €75 charge for 1 night

I can't post the link but the information is on the citizens information website

I think your right. I was trying to remember what happened us. I called an ambulance for my daughter she was having trouble breathing .
    She was admitted overnight from the paediatric A&E into the paediatric ward and discharged later that day and our bill was €75

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jestea

O really its only 175€??
    Omg.. I thougt it will be hundreds, or even thousand..

P.s. My friend got accident with bike. He is full time working, but got bill from hospital almost 2000€. (( thanks god, orher's drivers car insurance covered it)

• Advertisement

Oh, and when bill should come? In. A few days,weeks?

jestea wrote: »
    O really its only 175€??

P.s. My friend got accident with bike. He is full time working, but got bill from hospital almost 2000€. (( thanks god, orher's drivers car insurance covered it)

Your friend must have gone to a private hospital
    You've been to a public hospital
    €75 per night covers everything
    Surgery ICU everything

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surgery ICU everything

Probably not - public hospitals (and ambulance services) bill in the case of road traffic accidents, *because* the at fault drivers insurance will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

As an aside check with the school if the pupils have insurance. As part of our school contribution in September there is an insurance policy for the child built in (not a private school, just a regular public school), but this insurance covers the child 24 hours a day regardless of whether they are actually on school grounds/at school activities.
    It may cover the whole cost for you. My husband is a teacher and says very few people actually know it's there-I don't know if every school has it but might be worth checking.

Ok, its interesting now...
    So now waiting bill. Thats good would be no more then 175€... Or even 75€...
    Maybe i will go to sitizen information to ask...

So much i dont know... And where to get all information about Ireland "rules", Lol...

P.s. My friend was in Public Beaumont hospital.

Thank you very much for your ansvers, its really helps! ( i found info in google, but couldn't believe, that 175€ (or75€) will cover everything. )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sillysocks wrote: »
    As an aside check with the school if the pupils have insurance. As part of our school contribution in September there is an insurance policy for the child built in (not a private school, just a regular public school), but this insurance covers the child 24 hours a day regardless of whether they are actually on school grounds/at school activities.
    It may cover the whole cost for you. My husband is a teacher and says very few people actually know it's there-I don't know if every school has it but might be worth checking.

That is incorrect and misleading. The insurance you refer to is optional and parents must pay separately for it. It is by no means automatic nor universal.

That is incorrect and misleading. The insurance you refer to is optional and parents must pay separately for it. It is by no means automatic nor universal.

How is it incorrect or misleading? I never said they would definitely be covered I said there 'may be' cover and that they should check with the school as to whether they have it. Nowhere did I say they would definitely have it and definitely receive money back. Some schools do have it so it is not incorrect to suggest they check their own situation.

Also, jestea if you call the accounts department of the hospital they should be able to tell you what the bill is to date and whether there will be more charges. At least then you would know rather than waiting in worry for the bill.

sillysocks wrote: »
    How is it incorrect or misleading? I never said they would definitely be covered I said there 'may be' cover and that they should check with the school as to whether they have it. Nowhere did I say they would definitely have it and definitely receive money back. Some schools do have it so it is not incorrect to suggest they check their own situation.

Also, jestea if you call the accounts department of the hospital they should be able to tell you what the bill is to date and whether there will be more charges. At least then you would know rather than waiting in worry for the bill.

Because it is NOT part of the school contribution but additional to it. If you paid it you'd know because you had to opt in and complete the form. Very very few pupils are covered by it, as it's poor value for money. Trust me I know the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Cordell

jestea, stop worrying, the bill will not be over 200E in any case. I've had my kids in hospital a couple of times, and all I've had to pay was the A&E charge or hospital charge.
    In any case the public hospital cost over a 12 months period is capped at around 600E IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

While we all complain about the health service A&E charges are a bargain at times. Husband fell off a ladder and dislocated his shoulder. Brought him to hospital and was told it was a €100 charge, I said I had no money with me but was told that bill would be sent. He had x rays, lots of drugs and was put back in place. He was also referred for physio, he had about 10 sessions over 3 months. He got a call 3 days after he had the xrays from the emergency doctor asking how he felt and could he come back in. They said while reviewing the x rays they saw something in his lungs. Checked him over and said he had a chest infection (nothing to do with the fall) and gave him antibiotics and told him to come back in a week to be checked again. He did and was fine...all that was covered by his €100.
    I turned up to emergency department with an eye problem at 8am. Short version, I went through two hospitals, 5 clinics, 7 doctors and at 7pm had laser surgery on both eyes. We had very basic medical insurance (only started 4 weeks before) and wondered about the cost but where told (before the surgery) it would be either the €100 emergency charge or the €75 patient charge. As it turned out the insurance covered it, I received a €100 emergency charge a week later from the first hospital. I called to say I thought it had been covered by insurance and she said insurance only covers it if I was admitted...which I was...so bill was cancelled.
    I hope your son is OK, and I agree give the accounts department a call and check what you owe, they will wait until you can pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

While this is true a lot of parents just look at the numbers on a page, tot them up and pay them. AFAIK my local school was e5, e7 for 24 hr. It's optional but there's a good chance that parents pay for it and forget about it.

While this is true a lot of parents just look at the numbers on a page, tot them up and pay them. AFAIK my local school was e5, e7 for 24 hr. It's optional but there's a good chance that parents pay for it and forget about it.

Exactly my point, we paid a list of different things in the first few weeks, as I'm sure most do and I can't remember what the individual payments were for. I just thought it might help the original poster if they could check into it if they weren't aware of it as a lot of parents think it's only cover for school related activities which isn't the case.

Hopefully the hospital bill will be capped as mentioned anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Because it is NOT part of the school contribution but additional to it. If you paid it you'd know because you had to opt in and complete the form. Very very few pupils are covered by it, as it's poor value for money. Trust me I know the figures.

It was €6 for the year for my daughter. I'm not sure how much more value for money you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

sillysocks wrote:
    Exactly my point, we paid a list of different things in the first few weeks, as I'm sure most do and I can't remember what the individual payments were for. I just thought it might help the original poster if they could check into it if they weren't aware of it as a lot of parents think it's only cover for school related activities which isn't the case.

sillysocks wrote:
    Hopefully the hospital bill will be capped as mentioned anyway!

Yep I only commented because the other poster tore into you for no reason!

There's so much going on getting kids ready for back to school that it's impossible to remember what boxes were ticked and which weren't! You may have jogged OPs memory, and if you did, great, if not then there's no reason to be eaten :)

Thank you everybody for information.
    I will wait letter, but its ok, no bigger then 200€, no worries.
    As i said, i though it will be close to 1000€ :D.
    I will write here,after bill.

P.s. Just got apoit for xray next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

jestea wrote: »
    O really its only 175€??

Surgery ICU everything
    L1011 wrote: »
    Probably not - public hospitals (and ambulance services) bill in the case of road traffic accidents, *because* the at fault drivers insurance will pay.

The usual A&E, or overnight charge applies unless the visit was due to a Road Traffic Accident. The hospital will send out a bill if the patient was in an RTA and the bill will be quite a bit higher than €100. On the bill, they state that if you are not making a claim through insurance, to contact the accounts department and the bill will be adjusted down. Those are not the exact words, but essentially they assume all RTAs are going through insurance and the patient has to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes I know it's incredibly good service isn't it. All of that for just 175 euro. The true value, if it were not subsidised is probably in the realm of 10000 or 20000, not 1000 euro, don't be so naive to think that that's how cheap his hospital stuff is. We are incredibly lucky as a nation to have this so heavily subsidised.

You also get free GP visits, and are attending every week, as per your own words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Wesser wrote: »
    Yes I know it's incredibly good service isn't it. All of that for just 175 euro. The true value, if it were not subsidised is probably in the realm of 10000 or 20000, not 1000 euro, don't be so naive to think that that's how cheap his hospital stuff is. We are incredibly lucky as a nation to have this so heavily subsidised.

You also get free GP visits, and are attending every week, as per your own words.

No, it's not - :
    The cost of mistakes made within healthcare settings is already huge. The State Claims Agency (SCA) has reported it had more than 3,000 claims on hand at the end of 2013, arising from medical errors alone and was expecting payouts to run to €1bn.

Wesser wrote: »

What planet are you on? We pay hugely for our health service. A vast proportion of tax take goes to funding it and time after time it has been found to be inefficient. The staff are great but the organisation is expensive and poor value for money in many respects. So, it's not all that for €175 as many of us pay thousands of euro per year into the health service via our taxes.

I got 75! Thats great..,

What planet are you on? We pay hugely for our health service. A vast proportion of tax take goes to funding it and time after time it has been found to be inefficient. The staff are great but the organisation is expensive and poor value for money in many respects. So, it's not all that for €175 as many of us pay thousands of euro per year into the health service via our taxes.

The A&E charge is not a charge but a levy. If you factor in all expenses, including but not limited to building and equipment costs and maintenance, probably a year's worth of taxes will buy you just a day in the hospital, and that's if you are a high earner and a low cost patient.
    Yes, I experienced HSE inefficiency first hand, but all taken into consideration the public health service is really affordable and reasonably good. There are EU countries that fare much better, and there are ones that do much worse.

Cordell wrote: »
    The A&E charge is not a charge but a levy. If you factor in all expenses, including but not limited to building and equipment costs and maintenance, probably a year's worth of taxes will buy you just a day in the hospital, and that's if you are a high earner and a low cost patient.
    Yes, I experienced HSE inefficiency first hand, but all taken into consideration the public health service is really affordable and reasonably good. There are EU countries that fare much better, and there are ones that do much worse.

You are missing the point. That huge cost of running the HSE and performing procedures has to be met by somebody and that somebody is the taxpayer. We pay very heavily for the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - this thread is not for debating the ins and outs of the HSE. You can take that to one of the Politics forums, or elsewhere.

dudara

-deleted-

• Advertisement
Advertisement