Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

roundup and grazon 90

• 22-06-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Doing a bit of spraying this evening under the electric fence

Can anyone tell me quickly how much Roundup and Grazon 90 I should add to a 15 litre budget?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Grazing is 60ml to 10 litres of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Don't think u can spray under wire with that mix ,big no for X compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

What mix then? That is accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Don't think u can spray under wire with that mix ,big no for X compliance

This idea pisses me off. Was walking to a fella who was inspected and he was told same, no spraying under fences, he asked about controlling briars and was told to dig them out of hedge with a spade :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

_Brian wrote: »
    This idea pisses me off. Was walking to a fella who minspected and he was told same, no spraying under fences, he asked about controlling briars and was told to dig them out of hedge with a spade :(

The inspector that suggested that must never have done it. I haven't either but it sounds like death by a thousand cuts slow and painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Going out after the supper with 600 litres if water and 4 litres of Grazon pro to do every wire in the place and any inspector can kiss my a**e if he has a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

Can I spray young furze in a ditch with Grazon 90?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kerry cow wrote: »
    What mix then? That is accepted

Don't think round up use is acceptable in a hedge, don't know about GRAZON.
    i know dept officials that read here, pity they wouldn't clarify this.
    ''A nettle in a field is a weed, a nettle in a ditch is a habitat''

I had a row with a neighbour that sprayed under my road ditch with roundup last year, I told him he could strim it if he likes.
    He done neither this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Round up is a waste of time under wire as it kills everything and the following year weeds will take over worse than ever.
    Grazing 90 will just kill everything but the grass and the weeds won't come back as quickly as they have to compete with established grass.
    Even a broadleaf weedkiller would be better than roundup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

rangler1 wrote: »
    Don't think round up use is acceptable in a hedge, don't know about GRAZON.
    i know dept officials that read here, pity they wouldn't clarify this.
    ''A nettle in a field is a weed, a nettle in a ditch is a habitat''

I had a row with a neighbour that sprayed under my road ditch with roundup last year, I told him he could strim it if he likes.
    He done neither this year
    Yeah, it seems a big problem for cross compliance.

I asked during one of my inspections last year and said who's responsible when the wire cannot carry current and my cattle cause an accident on the road.

She smiled and said I was, that I should use a hedgecutter in season or cut them manually during the non cutting season.

I have the hedge cutter booked to cut every hedge with wire back to fcuk on the first day of the open season.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

• Advertisement

djmc wrote: »
    Round up is a waste of time under wire as it kills everything and the following year weeds will take over worse than ever.
    Grazing 90 will just kill everything but the grass and the weeds won't come back as quickly as they have to compete with established grass.
    Even a broadleaf weedkiller would be better than roundup.

Yea, stupid neighbour has left me with a hedge full of cleavers (robin run the hedge) hope fully grass will come back strong enough to compete with it again....some people haven't a clue, he did about 50 mtrs ''to give visibility''

Yeah, it seems a big problem for cross compliance.

I asked during one of my inspections last year and said who's responsible when the wire cannot carry current and my cattle cause an accident on the road.

She smiled and said I was, that I should use a hedgecutter in season or cut them manually during the non cutting season.

I have the hedge cutter booked to cut every hedge with wire back to fcuk on the first day of the open season.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

Have good hedges here so would always fence the hedge but for the bull with the cows when i had sucklers, i'd use elestric and keep the wire well out and high so they'd graze in and the briars wouldn't reach and flail them once a year.
    Sheep farmers have to fence for all the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Aside from cross compliance mixing roundup with grazon is a waste of time and money. The roundup kills everything so what's left for the grazon to do. It wouldn't even be absorbed into leaves because the roundup has shut down the plant :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

rows="10" cols="60" style="display:block; width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">
    Aside from cross compliance mixing roundup with grazon is a waste of time and money. The roundup kills everything so what's left for the grazon to do. It wouldn't even be absorbed into leaves because the roundup has shut down the plant :'([/QUOTe

would grazon be good enough on it's own?

is that allowed on cross compliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Grazon on it's own will kill nettles thistles docks etc and sicken briars and fresh growth of elders and the like. For future use a month or so earlier when weeds are smaller is a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dunedin wrote: »
    rows="10" cols="60" style="display:block; width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">
    Aside from cross compliance mixing roundup with grazon is a waste of time and money. The roundup kills everything so what's left for the grazon to do. It wouldn't even be absorbed into leaves because the roundup has shut down the plant :'([/QUOTe

would grazon be good enough on it's own?

is that allowed on cross compliance?
    Afaik, no.

You are allowed to spot treat to spray noxious weeds but you're not allowed to treat a length of ditch, according to my advisor when I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

I find Grazon great at home where there are cattle grazing, but in a leased field for 2 cuts silage then grazing later, has grass up to the wire now. Was wondering will I have to go Roundup here, or will the grass lodge by Sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chris 2000

Hi,
    There is no problem spraying GrazonPro under electric fences. The issues arises when these fences are close to water. The label states that you must keep 5m from a water course. However STRIPE rules state that GrazonPro can be used up to within 1metre of a water course (from edge of bank) when fitted with the low drift nozzles, etc. A water course is a water body that can carry water at any time of the year. It may be dry in summer months but it still counts as a water course. This is to protect pesticides getting into water. Full details of all buffer zones are available of the PCS website (Dept of Ag) pcs.agriculture.gov.ie and search under STRIPE.
    So if an electric fence is up against a hedge – then no problem spraying under it with GrazonPro and up to edge of a hedge as long as there is no water course there. In the old REPS schemes electric fences were to be back 1.2m from water courses where this option was chosen, so if installed correctly for that scheme it would be ok to use under them. Hope that info is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Aside from cross compliance mixing roundup with grazon is a waste of time and money. The roundup kills everything so what's left for the grazon to do. It wouldn't even be absorbed into leaves because the roundup has shut down the plant :'(

Roundup wont kill briars or furze
    I spray under fences with a mix of roundup and grazon 90 or scrub killer .Around here there are lots of rushes as well under fences .
    Kills pretty much everything . 70 ml of grazon 200 ml roundup to 15 litres of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭bullnuts

Roundup wont kill briars or furze
    I spray under fences with a mix of roundup and grazon 90 or scrub killer .Around here there are lots of rushes as well under fences .
    Kills pretty much everything . 70 ml of grazon 200 ml roundup to 15 litres of water.

I would have taught round up kills briars and furze? Gallop does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I did 2 X 95ltr quad tanks of spot spraying with grazon pro... Got misty and a light shower soon enough after .. I reckon it got enough time .. Covered a big area on creeping furze I topped and briars.. Be a half day of hard graft and 1ltr grazon pro out of pocket if it fails ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

Will Grazon kill ivy ? Have a lot of it growing in hedgerow. Have pulled the most of it out as it’s choking young trees. But even after a few days you can see new shoots taking off. Using grazon to kill briars. Thanks, very informative thread by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

cosbawn wrote: »
    Will Grazon kill ivy ? Have a lot of it growing in hedgerow. Have pulled the most of it out as it’s choking young trees. But even after a few days you can see new shoots taking off. Using grazon to kill briars. Thanks, very informative thread by the way

Not at normal concentrations.
    I killed some briars and other stuff with it along the ditch which runs down our lane, there is a good bit of ivy tuere which I was happy to see survived.

Ivy is very waxy and I’d imagine hard to penetrate the leaves.

Advertisement