Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest first time driver insurance

• 22-06-2016 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anyone would know places with cheap insurance for 17yr old with provisional and 1l car anywhere that offers deals for taking lessons with them etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

I got insurance with First Choice Ireland on a Learner Licence on a Golf MK5 1.4

I am using a tracking box :/ But cuts insurance to 1,650 instead of 3k-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Michael17899

1shot16 wrote: »
    I got insurance with First Choice Ireland on a Learner Licence on a Golf MK5 1.4

I am using a tracking box :/ But cuts insurance to 1,650 instead of 3k-4k

Was this recently ?

Yep only about one month ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Michael17899

Yep only about one month ago!

And how old are you

Am 19 and a half.I wouldnt say there much difference between a 17 year old learner and a 19 year old learner.Test in a little over a week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

i wouldnt like the thought of having a tracking device in the car with me :/

2000 euro for insurance in 2008 on my own policy as 19 year old.

320 euro in 2016

Ye i know its a pain but sure id rather pay less for insurance and buy a nice car which i did (2006 golf mk5) than buying a heap of ****e and paying thousands for insurance!

Insurance without the box from the same company would of been 4200 a 2550 difference!
    I can get the box removed next year and pay less for insurance if i drive reasonably good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I definitely wouldn't recommend Axa, I was quoted almost €6000 for my own policy on a 1.4 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your looking at an average €3000 on your first insurance if you don't go the tracking system on a 1l car .
    It's not just 17 year olds getting big quotes I'm 37 on a learners permit cheapest I've been quoted is €2700 or 1900 with a boxymo don't think I'll go through that route myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11 parksider

I ask boxymo, they just provide cover for provisional license, not for learner permit.

• Advertisement

parksider wrote: »
    I ask boxymo, they just provide cover for provisional license, not for learner permit.

Thats the same thing lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 parksider

Thats the same thing lad!

I thought so but they are not the same.
    I got very good quote from boxymo. Then I contacted the online chat from that website to confirm if provisional license is the same as learner permit, they said NO. What a disspointed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is. Learners Permits replaced the old "provisional licence" system years ago.

Same thing man just say u have a provisional licence then!

Advertisement