Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end build

Options
  • 22-06-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey lads, so hoping to get a high-end rig put together by the end of the summer, mostly for gaming but I've been looking into some video editing lately.
    My main concern is to have the cpu/motherboard last me 5 years, my current i7 930/ud3r combo is still ticking away but it's beginning to bottleneck me in certain cpu intensive games. I love to do a little overclocking as well :D so the motherboard/cpu needs to be decent in that regard. This is what i've got on my list at the moment:

CPU: i7 5820k
    Mobo: Asus Strix x99
    CPU Cooler: corsair H115i
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB
    SSD: Sandisk ultra 2 480gb
    HDD: Toshiba 3tb
    GPU: MSI 1080 gaming x
    Case: corsair 760T
    PSU: EVGA supernova P2 1000W

The GPU will probably be the last thing i buy tbh, il just stick my 390x into it until I've saved enough for it.
    Anyway, any opinions or advice? anyway to cut cost without sacrificing performance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Drop to a Skylake i5 and 16gb RAM, an i7 if you want.

By the time you need a hexcore and 32gb RAM this PC will probably be horribly outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd also question the MSI 1080.

It's the most expensive 1080 out there, and the 1080 being what it is... fancy coolers and super-duper VRMs don't really do much for it. The only things you're paying for this time around are looks, noise, and warranty. Anything performance related is silicon lottery, and pretty much nothing else.

As well as what DS has said, I'd recommend a WD Red/Red Pro, or a HGST drive, as they tend to be more reliable, and have longer warranties.

If you're going to go with the Corsair AIO, I'd get better fans. Corsair's stock fans suck massive amounts of balls. Have a look at their new ML Pro fans, or something from Noctua.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so ye guys see no real reason to go x99 direction? i suppose yer right tbh, i dont particularly like sli/xfire and il never have the money to have 3xsli.

Regards to gaming, is there much difference between a skylake i5 v i7? i know the i5's dont have hyperthreading. Say i go skylake direction, whats the best value mobo (overclocking, features etc.) at the moment?

As for AIO's, whats the best really i suppose?

Tempted to hang on and see what zen turns out like but that could be 2017 for all i know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120 seems to have turned out to be the impossible:

A cheap, cool AND near-silent AIO.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/02/11/arctic_cooling_liquid_freezer_120_aio_cpu_cooler_review/1

well i rejigged my pcpartlist with yer advice in hand and it really doesnt seem to be coming out much cheaper tbh, granted i did go with the i7 6700k over the i5.

Old list

New list

around £50 of a difference, could probably pick a cheaper mobo and psu as well. But even at a similar cpu/mobo price and less ram would ye still go skylake?

• Advertisement

http://ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1061&page=13

Loads of benches there. On average, the i5 only runs at 99.83% of what the i7 does. I know it's Haswell but there isn't enough of a change to say it's outdated for Skylake

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Y9RpgL

A lot of needless OTT crap even in your new list.

€600 knocked off with practically zero performance loss, the RAM speed won't affect your gaming that much, or editing. Not worth €90 anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd personally go i7 for the video editing end. I also tend to believe that they help as we get more and more going on in the background, that's purely an 'educated feeling' though rather than anything else.

Expensive motherboards are a complete waste of money - in your case go for a Z170 but go for the cheaper end.

Founder Edition 1080 - Drop that and get a cheaper AiB one.

A larger SSD or 2 in RAID 0 will also be of benefit if you like to keep a lot of games installed.

Suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€235.17 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€58.35 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€163.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€83.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€113.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Purple 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€102.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card (€743.25 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€124.78 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1625.50
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-22 20:24 CEST+0200

never heard of super flower, are they reliable?

• Advertisement

I'd personally go i7 for the video editing end. I also tend to believe that they help as we get more and more going on in the background, that's purely an 'educated feeling' though rather than anything else.

Expensive motherboards are a complete waste of money - in your case go for a Z170 but go for the cheaper end.

Founder Edition 1080 - Drop that and get a cheaper AiB one.

A larger SSD or 2 in RAID 0 will also be of benefit if you like to keep a lot of games installed.

so expensive mobos dont perform better than cheaper ones?
    Thanks for all the help lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The only thing that matters is chipset and of course, the most important thing... the colour scheme!

On some very cheap end with lower end chipsets you need to keep and eye on things like PCIe slots and USB ports but other than that, total waste of money, other than power delivery - but how much that matters is debatable and only matters for overclocking and then generally only on water or phase change.

Good reviews all round.
    I think they're also an OEM (manufacturer) for other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've used about 5 of them in different PC builds in the last 6 years never any problem.
    Here's a review for the 750w gold
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-750F14MG/

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Looks much better, but I wouldn't go for an FE card. Price premium, plus, I don't care what anyone says, efficiency be damned, those things still sound like hair dryers.

They're fine. They're just a more OEM-facing brand. They use the same PSUs that you'll find as BeQuiet and (I think) Corsair units.

Yup. What you pay for (mostly) is I/O (dual LAN, super-duper audio of some description), warranty, and more recently because all the cool kids are doing it: RGB lighting.

suppose there is no sense in looking to get an extra 390x to crossfire instead of a 1080 no?

suppose there is no sense in looking to get an extra 390x to crossfire instead of a 1080 no?

If anything, dual 480s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Everyone seems to say Crossfire is crap. Though, what resolution are you playing? I'd figure you'd get on fine with a 1070 tbh.

well i have a 390x already so that way would be handier, but i can imagine the power consumption + heat would be scary stuff

Looks bad-ass if your case has a window, but in reality has a lot of issues, and usually just isn't worth it. The last generation or two haven't had great SLI scaling either, and with the way things are unfolding, the support is probably only going to get worse.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Everyone seems to say Crossfire is crap. Though, what resolution are you playing? I'd figure you'd get on fine with a 1070 tbh.

I have a 3840x2160 monitor but mostly play at 1440p, would love to game at its native resolution though

This seems fairly close to what il build so (see attachment), thanks for all the help lads, anything else i should look at? (trying to keep the color scheme black and red....cliche i know :pac:)

850W PSU is complete sillyness. You could run two 1080s on a 600W unit. Drop down to a 450W or similar and save yourself a bunch of money.

Serephucus wrote: »
    850W PSU is complete sillyness. You could run two 1080s on a 600W unit. Drop down to a 450W or similar and save yourself a bunch of money.

yeah? ive always tried to keep a high output PSU just in case you know, i mean yeah current pascal may be low draw but when they refine it further down the line they might need more power. I guess ive used amd so long im used to high power needs.

yeah? ive always tried to keep a high output PSU just in case you know, i mean yeah current pascal may be low draw but when they refine it further down the line they might need more power. I guess ive used amd so long im used to high power needs.

GPUs are only getting more efficient. Sure, a 1080 Titan might need 250, maybe 300W when overclocked, and if you really wanted to spend $2,000+ on GPUs, you could get two, but that's the only time you'd need more than 600W. Even then, you'd only need 700W, absolute max.

Yeah 500w is fine for any single GPU now, and it won't move the opposite way. 600w at a push if you wanted clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Buy an X99 setup if you have the chance.

I remember when the Q6600 quad core came out with a lower clock speed than the twin core E6400 .At the time a lot of benchmarks where showing that the 6400 was beating the 6600 in games because of clock speed . Withing about a year the 6600 was the way to go as developers started to optimize multi threaded apps and the Q6600 woke up . The 6400 died fairly quickly after this.

I went from a 5820k to a 5930k . Without any overclocking or anything , I noticed a 10degree drop in core temps straight away. The 5820 is a great cpu ,but it seems to be a much lower binned quality chip than the 5930k .

Do you really need such an expensive mobo ? . I am using an Asrock Extreme 4 and it does everything I need and want. The X99 platform mobo's are very high spec from the basic models up as they are a higher end product line from the start.

I would not have any problem buying B grade items from Amazon to save a fortune to achieve my build . Many of the items are new with damaged packaging. If anything is not up to standard ,you can send it back for a full refund. I have bought faulty Intel cpu's on 3 occasions now (without prior knowledge ) . All you have to do is contact Intel with details of the cpu and they will replace it without any receipts etc ( tell them that the cpu was purchased over 30 days before you contacted them or they will tell you to return the cpu to the retailer for a refund ) . Intel will send DHL to your door for a pickup and you will have a new cpu back in 4 working days.

I would not buy any Toshiba drives...ever again. I have seen many failures from this brand. Seagate / Hitachi or Western Digital is my preferred choice.

I use an AX1200i psu. I know it is way overkill for my rig ,but I can do whatever I want with my pc and I know my psu can handle it . I picked it up ,new, openbox (and it was new ) for €180 . The fan doesn't turn on till it's using over 300w . It was a great investment . Buy the best psu you can fit into your budget.

Get this ram while you thinking , It's great stuff and on sale , get two sets,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RCGJLIM/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=90J3TZSGRANE4PT5Q02E&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=26de8ef0-2ad7-412c-8634-6cd03b7b73e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

Take a look here for some good value new and used stuff,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_5?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=5930k&sprefix=5930k%2Caps%2C150

Psu's ,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_15?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A3581866031%2Cn%3A340831031%2Cn%3A%21340832031%2Cn%3A428655031%2Cn%3A430514031&bbn=3581866031&ie=UTF8&qid=1466677503&rnid=3581866031

If you wait another while the prices on the 5 series cpu's should drop a little more as there is a newer X99 cpu will be release later this year. I would be happy with a 5 series build though ,at the right price of course ;)
    http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-e-core-i7-6950x-6900k-ebay/

Wow thanks, really was thinking of going x99 but the lads here have kind if turned my head to skylake, New CPU's for x99 are actually out BTW, was looking at the i7 6850k, but all that money...

Question lads? mindfactory, are they good? seems like the cheapest place (even after shipping+paypal charge) to get my full pc from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Wow thanks, really was thinking of going x99 but the lads here have kind if turned my head to skylake, New CPU's for x99 are actually out BTW, was looking at the i7 6850k, but all that money...

I missed that 68 release :o

Advertisement