Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high end build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've used them no bother before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Wow thanks, really was thinking of going x99 but the lads here have kind if turned my head to skylake, New CPU's for x99 are actually out BTW, was looking at the i7 6850k, but all that money...

I agree that the X99 route is more of an outlay initially ,but you will upgrade less over the years saving cash in the long run + your gear will be worth more when you sell it on.

There are loads of ppl still on the X58 platform that are only starting to upgrade now as it is still a great performer with multi core cpu programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

must look into selling my old pc i suppose, how much should i be looking for? i7 930 clocked at 4.0ghz, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, 6 gigs of OCZ 1666mhz Ram, antec 1000W psu (2 of the power connections are dodgy but are not in use), gigabyte ud3r mobo, 1T HDD and a xfx 390x. around 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

must look into selling my old pc i suppose, how much should i be looking for? i7 930 clocked at 4.0ghz, Noctua NH-D15 cooler, 6 gigs of OCZ 1666mhz Ram, antec 1000W psu (2 of the power connections are dodgy but are not in use), gigabyte ud3r mobo, 1T HDD and a xfx 390x. around 600?

You can contact Noctua for support bracket upgrades, saves you having to buy a new cooler.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You can contact Noctua for support bracket upgrades, saves you having to buy a new cooler.

Kind of looking to go with an aio tbh, a good one should cool better than my air cooler right? And they do look better imo

• Advertisement

Really love the look of these swiftech coolers, but I've read some reviews with leaking which instantly makes me go nope,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AOFQW5M?ascsubtag=37699e015ac9a91dafa0faea81b494ef_S&pc_redir=T1&tag=dradisplay0bb-21

should have my money together in 2-3 weeks to pull the trigger :) took all of the advice and am going z170 over 2011-3, one thing, when are the gtx1080's going to be in stock? i like the evga FTW but id love to see the classified edition before i buy, no idea when thats coming though.

Also lads, is there any place online that sells decent desks, ikea isnt an option for me as i live too far away. Its the only part of my whole setup thats driving me nuts because its just not right!

Also with windows 10, I bought a key for it half a year ago from g2play, its the professional edition. What happens when i install windows on my new pc? can i reuse that key on multiple devices? or do i have to rebuy it.

All keys bought from unofficial channels (e.g. g2play) are technically/legally not true licenses - Microsoft does not sell discounted licenses for individual use.

Try it anyway, it might still work.
    If it doesn't, you can install Windows 10 & activate later/never - you'll just see a mildly annoying watermark in the lower-right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I know you mentioned ikea isnt being a choice but got this desk here:http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/desks/office-desks/bekant-corner-desk-right-black-brown-white-spr-39006416/

really good fit if needing corner desk,some cable management options,but if living to far and delivery isnt an option,browse donedeal,many retailers advertise there as well depending on area you live.

planning on having my tower on top of the desk + a 28inch and a 24inch monitor so im not sure that bekant would fit everything, i live in kerry so it would be a 3-4 hour drive up to get to ikea, dont think you can buy online with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

planning on having my tower on top of the desk + a 28inch and a 24inch monitor so im not sure that bekant would fit everything, i live in kerry so it would be a 3-4 hour drive up to get to ikea, dont think you can buy online with them

I have a 34" and 24" monitors on my desk, which is also 160cm long. You should be just about able to fit a desktop on there as well with the slightly smaller screen, though it will be end to end with the monitors and the desktop!

Can stick up a photo if its any use

i was planning to have my tower on desk as well,but having 6 fans working and dozen of lights blinking trough side window changed my opinion fast.While imagine screens would fit ok on 160cm table but if having speakers other devices theres a lot of interference between cables and stuff that takes up space. heres my setup to give example.Dang crap image for some reason its upside down :/

2moefrr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How'd you get it all to stick to the ceiling mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Try it anyway, it might still work. If it doesn't, you can install Windows 10 & activate later/never - you'll just see a mildly annoying watermark in the lower-right corner.

You can't personalise the desktop, resize text and scale icons/windows etc etc either if not activated. And those were just the things I noticed, there could be more.

no options to change personal or user accounts all blanked out,think admin account is locked as well so quite few limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

If i was building with your budget i'd go for a https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-predator-240-all-in-one-watercooling-solution-revision-1.1-wc-873-ek.html an in win 303 https://www.caseking.de/in-win-303-midi-tower-weiss-geiw-094.html an evga 1080 sc https://www.caseking.de/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-sc-gaming-acx-3.0-8192-mb-gddr5x-gcev-255.html purely for astetics of course, when i spend that kind of money i want it to look awesome. As for cpu, mb, ram just go with what catches your eye because there all the same at that price point.

superg wrote: »
    You can't personalise the desktop, resize text and scale icons/windows etc etc either if not activated. And those were just the things I noticed, there could be more.

Open image > right click > set as background ;)

If i was building with your budget i'd go for a https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-predator-240-all-in-one-watercooling-solution-revision-1.1-wc-873-ek.html an in win 303 https://www.caseking.de/in-win-303-midi-tower-weiss-geiw-094.html an evga 1080 sc https://www.caseking.de/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-sc-gaming-acx-3.0-8192-mb-gddr5x-gcev-255.html purely for astetics of course, when i spend that kind of money i want it to look awesome. As for cpu, mb, ram just go with what catches your eye because there all the same at that price point.

read some dodge user reviews on those ek's leaking and as this is my first aio i definitely dont want that. As for the in win case, probably fantastic quality but i really like the look of the corsair 760t black and red (goes really well with the whole black and red scheme im going for)

hoping to go for the evga classified 1080 when it comes out though, love evga graphics.

the attachment is what im going to go for.

hoping to get this and this down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

read some dodge user reviews on those ek's leaking and as this is my first aio i definitely dont want that. As for the in win case, probably fantastic quality but i really like the look of the corsair 760t black and red (goes really well with the whole black and red scheme im going for)

hoping to go for the evga classified 1080 when it comes out though, love evga graphics.

the attachment is what im going to go for.

hoping to get this and this down the road

She's going to be a beauty, best of luck with the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Open image > right click > set as background ;)

Not much use when you have a massive screen and can't scale desktop windows etc so they don't cover the whole bloody thing!

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Not much use when you have a massive screen and can't scale desktop windows etc so they don't cover the whole bloody thing!

Save up for a license so ;)

tbf buying from g2play etc is relatively cheap for windows (and whatever anyone says about indie devs etc getting screwed by grey market, microsoft can go f*** themselves :D), its amazing though that with windows 10 linking to your microsoft account that they dont just add windows 10 to your account and any device you sign into with your account you can have your version of windows 10, seems like the logical way to go with it

so I'm about to pull the trigger on my new build (no gpu though, il wait until more stock, better prices come, the 390x will last me another while). I know there's certain extravagant things like the led ram and the case but that's kind of what I'm going for. I am hoping to put a gtx 1080 or better into this thing down the road so hoping that 750W psu is good enough. Anyway opinions? il probably have it ordered before i get any replies but i think its looking decent.
    Took advice on not going crazy with the mobo, psu, cpu, or ram so im hoping its a nice jump from my old i7 930, ud3r, 6 gigs of ram :pac:

CPU - i7 6700k = £338
    Mobo - MSI gaming pro carbon = £132
    Case - corsair 760T = £169
    RAM - 16gigs Corsair vengence LED 3200MHz = £103
    PSU - XFX XTR 750W = £103
    SSD - Kingston HyperX 960gig = £236
    HDD - Toshiba P300 2TB = £61
    Cooler - ARCTIC liquid freezer 240 = £66
    Rig cost = £1208

Decided to treat myself to some nicer desks and peripherals as well seeing as I'm not getting a gpu yet.

Keyboard - corsair Gaming LUX Cherry MX RGB = £144
    Mouse - corsair M65 PRO = £57
    Headset - HyperX Cloud 2 = £67
    Controller - Afterglow Prismatic = £ 37
    Desks - 2 x Ikea Bekant = €360 + delivery
    Chair - Noblechairs EPIC black and red = £318 (never had a nice chair before :))
    Thermal paste - Arctic Silver 5 = £7

All in all it comes to around €2750, tbh my crappy chair and desk needed a nice upgrade and this was the perfect time, il wait for the gpu's to be more readily available.
    Anyway what do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

PSU is overkill. You should be able to find an SSD cheaper or go for an NVMe drive.

Cooler links to the HDD - someone who knows about HDDs might point you to a better drive.

PSU is overkill. You should be able to find an SSD cheaper or go for an NVMe drive.

Cooler links to the HDD - someone who knows about HDDs might point you to a better drive.

sorry late at night :o fixed it, ah im happy enough with the lot tbh, could drive myself nuts overthinking it haha

All ordered anyway, heres hoping it all goes off without a hitch

quick question lads, any idea why amazon seems to take forever to get things dispatched? i split my build between amazon and overclockers with much more through overclockers, OC is on the way already and amazon is hoping to dispatch friday. Just seems odd considering i made sure every last thing was in stock before ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

quick question lads, any idea why amazon seems to take forever to get things dispatched? i split my build between amazon and overclockers with much more through overclockers, OC is on the way already and amazon is hoping to dispatch friday. Just seems odd considering i made sure every last thing was in stock before ordering

They might just be busy. They had a prime sale and those customers take priority. The cynical in me says it's done to encourage you to pay more for faster shipment next time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Redfox25 wrote: »
    The cynical in me says it's done to encourage you to pay more for faster shipment next time.

may be cynical, but probably accurate, anything i have paid extra for shipping on has been dispatched almost immediately. makes sense though, if someone pays extra their stuff goes out quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Free delivery gets a lower priority being picked, fair enough really.

Ordering just after Prime day though is somewhat brave! :pac:

• Advertisement

Free delivery gets a lower priority being picked, fair enough really.

Ordering just after Prime day though is somewhat brave! :pac:

Didn't know about prime day, what is it?

Advertisement