Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

The boys on RTE panel all guns blazing for their last Ireland game potentially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

Eamo doesn't buy much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Eamon on the sauce again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Motta will dominate the game and predictably so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Dunphy sounds half cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Dunphy sounds half cut

Probably knew what would be coming tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

So il lead us in the first glorious mystery

Hail Mary full of grace...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It is a very strange line up.

What positives can we look at?

Duffy will be a huge threat at set pieces.

Long has a partner, however limited he may be, and longs isolation has been a problem.

McCarthy could maybe perform better doing Whelans job.

There are far more negatives though, but I will keep the faith for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Changing both centre backs is madness, as is McCarthy keeping his place.

A real shot in the dark from O Neill. Bizzare team selection.

Let's hope it pays off but I'm fearful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Dunphy sounds half cut

Aye, sounds like he's had a good few scoops alright

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Thats not a good line up. I honestly can only see one result I obviously hope I'm completely wrong. If it does go horribly wrong here MON has serious questions to be asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

COME ON IRELAND!!

Really excited over this, I think I'll have a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sjb25 wrote: »
    So il lead us in the first glorious mystery

Hail Mary full of grace...............

Don't mind that. We will do this alright. I proper fancy it I have to say. I don't know why but I can't think we'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

He'll be in full pen throwing mode if things don't go well. You have been warned.

The Montrose green room was open early do you think ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's basically a Trapattoni team. Instead of Doyle and Keane, it's Long and Murphy. Instead of Whelan and Andrews, it's Hendrick and McCarthy. Instead of McGeady and Duff, it's McClean and Brady.

And overall I'd say we have poorer personnel this time. At least we had a Dunne/St Ledger combination that had generally worked for us, whereas this time we've an experimental Keogh/Duffy partnership which is unproven.

It will be hoofball up to the two strikers and sending Duffy forward for set-pieces. The Italians will deal with this without breaking a sweat. They probably can't believe their luck.

And I'm astonished Dunphy hasn't slaughtered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Comfortable 2-0 to Italy,just like four years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some strange fųckin lineup... if we get tanked Martin and Roy will be ripped to shreads. If by some miracle we win they will be naming hospital wards after them. Big big call replacing both center backs here above all. I'd say planets of lump ball and better pressing rather then sitting back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

COME ON IRELAND!!

Really excited over this, I think I'll have a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit..

Steady on there CB :)

COYBIG

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

2-1 win, Long double

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Montrose green room was open early do you think ?

Probably not a good idea having him in for back to back games. Supporting the boys in the green room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Obviously saving John, Wes and Glenn for Sunday's game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Whatever about anything else, really disappointed Ward is starting. Having Brady there sets an attacking intent and am extra attacker further forward. At the very least, John OShea , who started a CL final at LB for United, would be a better option there than Ward, if you did need Brady in midfield

Do the lads not realise that these players train with each other the whole time, nop mention that the Italain team has never played together but they keep banging on about Ireland not having sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's basically a Trapattoni team. Instead of Doyle and Keane, it's Long and Murphy. Instead of Whelan and Andrews, it's Hendrick and McCarthy. Instead of McGeady and Duff, it's McClean and Brady.

And overall I'd say we have poorer personnel this time. At least we had a Dunne/St Ledger combination that had generally worked for us, whereas this time we've an experimental Keogh/Duffy partnership which is unproven.

It will be hoofball up to the two strikers and sending Duffy forward for set-pieces. The Italians will deal with this without breaking a sweat. They probably can't believe their luck.

And I'm astonished Dunphy hasn't slaughtered it.

He might be keeping it for half time in case it works!

I agree with what he has said there though, after 2 1/2 years in the job, arguably your biggest game to date and you arrive at a new team.

It is a massive roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Giles is an old man now. Doesn't have anything constructive to say anymore.
    Still like him but he's right to be calling it a day after this tournament

Guessing Brady is playing the wes position, Long out wide right Mclean out left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

James McCarthy has no right to be on the pitch tonight

17larsson wrote: »
    Giles is an old man now. Doesn't have anything constructive to say anymore.
    Still like him but he's right to be calling it a day after this tournament

I don't think it was his call to leave. Ryle nugent made the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

John doesn't read silly bukes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

'We just don't know'

John Giles.

He has had a good run has Giles... Damien Duff has been very impressive as a pundit, hope he gets the gig.. Saddlier talks a decent bit of sence but is somewhat of an unlikeable fellow at the same time a bit smarmy and smug or something. I can't warm to him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't think it was his call to leave. Ryle nugent made the call.

Agreed. Gilsey wasn't exactly quiet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I predict a 1 all draw. Session was good while it lasted lads now time to come back to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

spock. wrote: »
    'We just don't know'

John Giles.

He is right. This defensive partnership has not played together so we dont know how they will go.
    Is it that hard to understand? Or do you just want to try and knock Giles and make him look silly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Strumms wrote: »
    He has had a good run has Giles... Damien Duff has been very impressive as a pundit, hope he gets the gig.. Saddlier talks a decent bit of sence but is somewhat of an unlikeable fellow at the same time a bit smarmy and smug or something. I can't warm to him at all.

Not sure about Duff myself. He's fine but he's not great on analysis, he seems to have strong opinions on players etc but goes through the motions a bit otherwise. Duff comes across to me like someone who always wants to reply with a smart answer, or a little joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Looks very warm in the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Giles may be past it, but I can't blame him for being stunned by that team. Dunphy looks jarred and I don't blame him.

I'll leave this here....

"Doomed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

90 minutes of long balls which will be devoured by the Italians. Murphy isn't good enough to hold on to it so I can see Italy having loads of possession. It'll be comfortable enough for Italy I'd say - 2 nil

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Depressing team. Anything can happen of course but i cant see anything positive coming from that long ball team. O'Shea and Whelan should definitely be playing, crazy to drop them at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Look at the players you had around you Ronnie

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agreed. Gilsey wasn't exactly quiet about it.

:D no he wasn't. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eerie optimism from Mr Pessimistic Whelan there.

Wishful thinking maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Irelands' 9th game at a Euros finals and a striker has yet to score. Answer? MON plays Daryl Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

sonic85 wrote: »
    90 minutes of long balls which will be devoured by the Italians. Murphy isn't good enough to hold on to it so I can see Italy having loads of possession. It'll be comfortable enough for Italy I'd say - 2 nil

What did you expect?
    Try and football against a team that are player for player better than us?

Id be over the moon with a win, but in reality, 2-0 Italy is more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

We need to run at Bonucci at every opportunity possible. He'll be terrified to stick a foot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

enzo roco wrote: »
    He is right. This defensive partnership has not played together so we dont know how they will go.
    Is it that hard to understand? Or do you just want to try and knock Giles and make him look silly?

Exactly, don't agree with all these attempts to portray Giles as a doddery old man. You may agree with him, or not, but he has remained pretty consistent over the years in the type of things he says, and I think he makes a lot of sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Dunphy not happy there!

Corholio wrote: »
    Not sure about Duff myself. He's fine but he's not great on analysis, he seems to have strong opinions on players etc but goes through the motions a bit otherwise. Duff comes across to me like someone who always wants to reply with a smart answer, or a little joke.

He has strong opinions and he seems interested and constructive in the way he contributes. He only retired recently so unlike the dinosaurs he is that bit more insightful on the modern game... across the channels then you have the likes of Byrne the Arsenal ladies keeper, Andrews, Mc Shame... who are just happy to be invited it seems and trot out a few footballing clichés in a startled fashion while picking up a nice cheque while analysing nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

spock. wrote: »
    'We just don't know'

John Giles.

Well hes kind of right, there is some many anomalies for this match its very difficult to predict what exactly will happen.The pitch is a disgrace, the Italians supposedly dont give 2 ****s, 2 of their main defenders are playing but on yellows, will they even make tackles? They made 8 changes and nothing to play for. As for us 2 new CBs thrown in at the deep end, Murphy up front , Hoolahan out Whelan out McCarthy and Ward still there, Brady left wing, McClean in. Total change of formation and tactics.

I have that feeling that something special may happen for us, and we will need something special!

Keogh knocks it long to Daryl Murphy, the ball bounces ....Murphy turns...shoots........GOOOOOOAALLLLL Remember the name Daryl Murphy!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement