Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Ulster better gaelic, better football championships, better rugby players, better craic, better everything. Enjoy our managerial tactics, smear them all over your golden-spoon-fed-county's-population.

I'm confused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Who's Tony Mizzoni? :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

What goes around, comes around baby

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Classic Dunphy there at the end "What goes around comes around baby"

• Advertisement

Love Dunphy to be right about one thing, his comments on Karma there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I love the knockouts like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Ulster better gaelic, better football championships, better rugby players, better craic, better everything. Enjoy our managerial tactics, smear them

Fearr iontach

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haha Eamo "Karma, what goes around comes back around baby"

Hope he's right this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Canadel wrote: »
    Good result for the Irish team. Even better result for the French team.

But it's not about tonight. It's about the wider impact it will have on football in this country. It's the legacy of tonight's performance and the winning goal which will live on in the memories of the nation and hopefully inspire young lads (and ladies) to resist the temptation of inferior, purely physicality reliant games for short term gain and popularity and take up the universal game of football, the beautiful game, the greatest sport in the world, the universal game, the only game that is watched and played in fishing villages in Taiwan, favelas in Brasil and all across the continents of Africa and Europe. The only game that can and has united the world and will continue to do so in the future. That is what should be celebrated tonight. And that is why we should be congratulating the team, the management and the whole set up.

Andersonisgod in disguise ?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

TV3... the eyebrows... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

undefined wrote: »
    undefined
    Best of luck to Northern Ireland in the competition

Like 99% of the posters on here.

I think that you own a tall horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Why is RTE paying the clown Dunphy and the senile one as well, whose knowledge of football ranges from 1965 - 1974

Dunphy was setting it up before the match, Ireland no chance, O'Neill clueless, at least Brady said it straight.

A fkucing clown, up ur ar5e Dunphy, COYBIG :)

Keith Andrews.... LMAO... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ulster better gaelic, better football championships, better rugby players, better craic, better everything. Enjoy our managerial tactics, smear them all over your golden-spoon-fed-county's-population.

Mod: Banned.

tumblr_inline_nsogvfHwll1rk9kzj_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just came in to say I love you all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Word for McCarthy there tonight, him and those in midfield gave Italians absolutely nothing in there. Broke up passes, nicked in to dispossess and covered Brady a good few times tonight when he went forward and kept the play spread across the midfield too, which from all the midfielders is something I was surprised and delighted about. He's part of one of Ireland's greatest results and did his part tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Hendrick has been incredible so far. I wonder will he make the grade up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Paully D wrote: »
    RE: the O'Neill v Trapattoni discussion from last night.

Trapattoni has still done the better job for Ireland as things stand, IMO. Credit to O'Neill, at the end of the day we qualified for the tournament, but the reality is if it had been the qualifying format that had been there for Trapattoni's reign then we would not have qualified. Due to the fact that teams in 3rd place progressed to a play-off under his reign, O'Neill deserves less credit for qualification IMO, as it is an easier task. Remember, Trappatoni guided us through the World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 qualifying campaigns losing only 1 game from 20. Yes, 1 game in 20.

In this tournament, we drew a game we should have won against Sweden because O'Neill crapped his togs when we took the lead and we were ultimately beaten comfortably by Belgium. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised against Italy and a win there changes everything to be fair such are the margains, but if we lose as expected then we'll have taken 1 more point from an easier group than in 2012 and reached the tournament due to benefiting from the increased amount of teams present. Meh.

People find it easier to get behind O'Neill because of how things ended with Trapattoni (the time was definitely right for a change), some of the things he did and because O'Neill shows a bit of passion. He's a more attractive option to the man on the street for sure. However, for me, Trapattoni has done the better job at the moment and if the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign goes badly then it won't even be an argument.

Classic Paully D reverse jinx posting, saved sunderland twice from relegation and now this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

All I really hope for in the France game is for the team to give another performance that the country can be proud of. I can fully accept that the team will be fairly badly outgunned and playing a motivated French side, but it would be nice to bow out, if it has to be that way, with some positivity - that the team acquitted itself well and go into the WCs with some momentum.

Corholio wrote: »
    Word for McCarthy there tonight, him and those in midfield gave Italians absolutely nothing in there.

I think possibly McCarthy's greatest achievement tonight was not getting booked / sent off when the ref didnt give the penalty. I was sure he was gonna lose the head altogether. Showed a maturity I didnt think he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have to give some credit to McGeady as well, had involvement in Hoolahan's missed chance by winning the ball from nothing, and in laying off to Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

CllecN2WkAIOjdx.jpg:medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

McCarthy for some reason seems to play better when Whelan isn't starting.

Canadel wrote: »
    Good result for the Irish team. Even better result for the French team.

But it's not about tonight. It's about the wider impact it will have on football in this country. It's the legacy of tonight's performance and the winning goal which will live on in the memories of the nation and hopefully inspire young lads (and ladies) to resist the temptation of inferior, purely physicality reliant games for short term gain and popularity and take up the universal game of football, the beautiful game, the greatest sport in the world, the universal game, the only game that is watched and played in fishing villages in Taiwan, favelas in Brasil and all across the continents of Africa and Europe. The only game that can and has united the world and will continue to do so in the future. That is what should be celebrated tonight. And that is why we should be congratulating the team, the management and the whole set up.

Very poetic and the result is amazing tonight but let's not lose the run of ourselves here. Suppose the unlikely event happens and we go to the final, the bigger picture doesn't change. The structure needs to be looked at.

We'll worry about that tomorrow though. For now, congrats to the team on a very wholehearted performance. They never gave up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

briany wrote: »
    All I really hope for in the France game is for the team to give another performance that the country can be proud of. I can fully accept that the team will be fairly badly outgunned and playing a motivated French side, but it would be nice to bow out, if it has to be that way, with some positivity - that the team acquitted itself well and go into the WCs with some momentum.

Yeah - agreed. I think the really positive thing about the Irish performance was that win, lose or draw no one could not criticise them for not having a go, for not doing everything possible. Hopefully, they can deliver a similar performance on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would just like to point out that Ireland is only where they were 4 years ago in the last 16 of European football. HOWEVER - they did not put on a performance like that 4 years ago. Not even close. So this tournament has been more successful. Plus actually managing to get 4 points in a tough, tough group. You put England in that group, they'd have been looking at trying to get the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Fair play to the Leinster council who have moved both GAA semi finals to allow people watch Ireland and watch the Leinster semi finals.

I never thought I'd see the day when the GAA would use such common sense in an issue like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is RTE paying the clown Dunphy and the senile one as well, whose knowledge of football ranges from 1965 - 1974

Dunphy was setting it up before the match, Ireland no chance, O'Neill clueless, at least Brady said it straight.

A fkucing clown, up ur ar5e Dunphy, COYBIG :)

I think you should listen to him more.

He said he was surprised at the team selection, as was I.

He said that he hoped it paid off, as did I .

At Half time, he said Ireland were the better team, as did I.

At full time he was bloody delighted and emotional as was I .

Do you want him just to praise the manager all the time.

I don't know why people get bothered by him so much.

He always wants Ireland to do well and has our best interests at heart.

If you think O'Neill is beyond reproach and gets everything right then you are the fool not Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

horgan_p wrote: »
    somewhere in heaven billo is smiling

Youd really miss him on a night like this
    The team left everything on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's gas if that goal didn't go in we were minutes away from another referee-fecked-up shîtstorm. That's the real victory here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Just watching the goal again.

The absolute joy on Bradys face as he runs away celebrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Does Buffon have previous with O'Neill or something? He just seemed very warm towards him after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Did either McCarthy or Hendrick pick up a yellow card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This comment made me piss myself laughing:

"The Republic of Ireland beat Italy ...

They’ve completed a clean sweep from the home nation, with all four teams qualifying for the final 16. England will face Iceland. Wales will play Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will take on France in Lyon. Sorry Scotland, but you’ll have to keep watering the plants and walking the dog for another few days"

Taken from the Guardian :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The whole game is being shown again tonight on BBC 2 at twenty past twelve. I'll try to catch the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Keith Andrews.... LMAO... :D:D

loved that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Very poetic and the result is amazing tonight but let's not lose the run of ourselves here. Suppose the unlikely event happens and we go to the final, the bigger picture doesn't change. The structure needs to be looked at.

No, no no, everything is rosy again now - ole ole ole (Joking :p)

Does Buffon have previous with O'Neill or something? He just seemed very warm towards him after the match.

Only thing I can think of is Juve playing Celtic about 10/15 years ago when O'Neill was in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

YES!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Im so happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

phew i can stop with the 3rd place table updates now

woohoo bring on the french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bet on a draw at HT. Cashed out 2 mins before Brady's goal! Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Watching the highlights again and that penalty shout - Ireland shouldn't forget to lodge a complaint regarding that referees performance. He was absolutely terrible.

murpho999 wrote: »

If you think O'Neill is beyond reproach and gets everything right then you are the fool not Dunphy.

He was just waiting to go into full on rant mode if we hadn't won. Probably had his script written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

murpho999 wrote: »

I too was surprised by O'Neills selection, I thought it was needed and it showed balls

He said he hoped it paid off, but in reality you could see he hoped it failed so he could be proven right

He said it half time Ireland were the better team, no 5hit sherlock

At full time I was emotional, still am, Dunphys tail was between his legs as he did a full 180

Dunphys a c***

Happy days though and fkuc the begrudgers :) Roll on France

Think I will still feel like this tomorrow.

:D

gm5ixF6.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement