Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wonder if the squad will keep this new buzz for the French game.
    This new aggressive game we played was brilliant and I fully believe that if we had played like that against Belgium we'd have won that too.
    To grab 4 points in one of the toughest groups is a serious achievement.
    I just pray they play the exact same on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Britain can stay or go now I don't give a fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Britain can stay or go now I don't give a fcuk
    .. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

Emotions only calming down now. Some sprint from Brady that late in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ta-ta, Sweden. Ibra, are you a legend on the plane? 'Cause that's where you'll have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My positivity hat on: that French back four haven't exactly looked impenetrable all tournament. If we can isolate Evra in particular with aerial bombardment, and match tonight's aggression and passion all over the field, then who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think you should listen to him more.

He said he was surprised at the team selection, as was I.

He said that he hoped it paid off, as did I .

At Half time, he said Ireland were the better team, as did I.

At full time he was bloody delighted and emotional as was I .

Do you want him just to praise the manager all the time.

I don't know why people get bothered by him so much.

He always wants Ireland to do well and has our best interests at heart.

If you think O'Neill is beyond reproach and gets everything right then you are the fool not Dunphy.

I've never heard Dunphy have a good word to say about any Irish manager, apart from when he said the day they signed Trapattoni was one of the best days of his life :rolleyes:

He didn't like Eoin Hand, his contempt for Jack Charlton was plain for all to see, the same for Mick McCarthy. He didn't think much of Brian Kerr either - and Kerr deserved another couple of years to show his worth. No need to say what he thought of Steve Staunton.
    He had a go at Roy Keane this week, when we all know there's plenty of personal unfinished business between them.

I often think that if Dunphy was appointed our national manger twenty years ago, we'd probably have two World Cups and three Euros at this stage.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Pretty emotional tonight. Very rare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

"Robbie Brady you ride"
    Off Shane Lowrys twitter..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

rodge68 wrote: »
    "Robbie Brady you ride"
    Off Shane Lowrys twitter..

https://twitter.com/ShaneLowryGolf/status/745719554572169216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My positivity hat on: that French back four haven't exactly looked impenetrable all tournament. If we can isolate Evra in particular with aerial bombardment, and match tonight's aggression and passion all over the field, then who knows?

Might we dare to believe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Shane Lowry just sent a tweet tonight, that was seen on RTE2, saying Robbie Brady you absolute ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I too was surprised by O'Neills selection, I thought it was needed and it showed balls

He said he hoped it paid off, but in reality you could see he hoped it failed so he could be proven right

He said it half time Ireland were the better team, no 5hit sherlock

At full time I was emotional, still am, Dunphys tail was between his legs as he did a full 180

Dunphys a c***

Happy days though and fkuc the begrudgers :) Roll on France

In fairness to Dunphy, I think he has always been an outsider. He gave an interview where he gave his side of the story on the development of Irish football. He was a working class football man in 1950s,1960s, 1970s, 1980s Ireland when the Irish elite wouldn't spit on Irish football. Then Jack Charlton and Italia 90 happened and the Irish elite suddenly embedded in Irish football, and Dunphy was still the outsider because he didn't play along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My biggest fear is that this will be just a one-off performance that we've all seen too often before.

But I'll deal with that Sunday.

This is class. Unbridled emotion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Might we dare to believe?

Absolutely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

CllecN2WkAIOjdx.jpg:medium

Oh god, look at the cans of Carlsberg... Another lecture from Buzkill D'Arcy about the ills of promoting alcohol on the next show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

As poor as McGeady is (sorry Aidan) he should be good enough to skin Evra, who is a huge weaklink in the French team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I must eat my humble pie, my balls and everything else. I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

As poor as McGeady is (sorry Aidan) he should be good enough to skin Evra, who is a huge weaklink in the French team.

Another key will also be to marshal Payet well.

He's had an outstanding tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Another key will also be to marshal Payet well.

He's had an outstanding tournament

I'd start Roy Keane and get him to boot him early on.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    In fairness to Dunphy, I think he has always been an outsider. He gave an interview where he gave his side of the story on the development of Irish football. He was a working class football man in 1950s,1960s, 1970s, 1980s Ireland when the Irish elite wouldn't spit on Irish football. Then Jack Charlton and Italia 90 happened and the Irish elite suddenly embedded in Irish football, and Dunphy was still the outsider because he didn't play along.

Maybe he should pen "Penny Apples 2" :cool:

Still a c*** though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Oh god, look at the cans of Carlsberg... Another lecture from Buzkill D'Arcy about the ills of promoting alcohol on the next show.

They look like slightly smaller cans, so the lads are being responsible. Fair play to them

motd highlights on bbc1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We are on motd now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Should I go to Lyon for the weekend? I think YES is the answer!!!!

4zIbDna.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

To all the babies born in March 2017, blame Robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

bear1 wrote: »
    This comment made me piss myself laughing:

"The Republic of Ireland beat Italy ...

They’ve completed a clean sweep from the home nation, with all four teams qualifying for the final 16. England will face Iceland. Wales will play Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will take on France in Lyon. Sorry Scotland, but you’ll have to keep watering the plants and walking the dog for another few days"

Taken from the Guardian :D.

I really hate when we get included as a 'Home Nation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Very poetic and the result is amazing tonight but let's not lose the run of ourselves here. Suppose the unlikely event happens and we go to the final, the bigger picture doesn't change. The structure needs to be looked at.

We'll worry about that tomorrow though. For now, congrats to the team on a very wholehearted performance. They never gave up
    Sure. And hopefully that bigger picture will begin to change as a result of tonight's victory. I cannot see Ireland beating France but a performance similar to tonight will be enough for the team to cement themselves in history and hopefully achieve the impact I spoke about.
    It's disappointing in fairness. I doubt they're drinking them so I imagine it's for advertising purposes? It does not send out a good message whatever way you want to look at it. Your reaction seems to be just in relation to Ray D'arcy. Which is even more sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

They are a month together now.

Fair play must be tough all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Just watching the goal again.

The absolute joy on Bradys face as he runs away celebrating!

This +1000. Can't get enough of it, I'm in tears!

Conti's tactic of stopping his team getting it on with the wife's and girlfriends has backfired tonight, Horny Buffon was so frustrated that he tried to make a pass at Martin after the game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

So for all those already out there are the tickets for the next match already gone? Seeing tweets of people with their confirmed tickets and others talking about getting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Canadel wrote: »
    It's disappointing in fairness. I doubt they're drinking them so I imagine it's for advertising purposes? It does not send out a good message whatever way you want to look at it. Your reaction seems to be just in relation to Ray D'arcy. Which is even more sad.

Maybe O'Neill and Keane realise they are coaching Irish players and not Germans or Italians? I doubt they are going to go on the lash tonight, but victories like tonight dont need to be celebrated by a cold glass of water. A beer wont kill them and if the players respond to being treated as adults by delivering performances no one will complain.

Couldn't be prouder to be Irish tonight. Great result. Good performance.

Bring on France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watching the highlights now on MotD!

Jeff Hendrick hot on the heels of Joe Allen after tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I fairness the BBC commentstor goes completely mental when Brady scores..credit due to him...

Jeff Hendrick and Robbie Brady should be playing Premier League football after tonight. Different class.

• Advertisement

Who is commentating for the bbc.

Camera cuts to our President, and he says "whatever the age, the Irish are celebrating" (or similar)

Dont think he knew who it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just a thought,but a win against a No 1 seed in a finals tournament is going to be a boost to our world ranking isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Camera cuts to our President, and he says "whatever the age, the Irish are celebrating" (or similar)

Jonathan Pearce. He's terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I thought the Italian's showed great sportsmanship in some moments.

The ref wanted to throw the 50/50 ball but the Italian lad kicked it out for what it was originally meant to be our throw in. The fans appreciated that too.

Also Buffon at the end, what a legend anyway but to congratulate MON was respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wasn't it because the UK company behind Hawkeye (used in the EPL) offered it to FIFA/UEFA after the 2012 WC and Sepp etc said to "get f*cked c*nts, extra linesmen are better!"?

But they are using goal line technology in this comp

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really hate when we get included as a 'Home Nation'.
    I don't. Ireland is a home nation in the sense that the other nations are its nearest neighbours and trading partners, and share much of the same culture. No harm. Some history should be studied but ultimately allowed to die.
    Sand wrote: »
    Maybe O'Neill and Keane realise they are coaching Irish players and not Germans or Italians? I doubt they are going to go on the lash tonight, but victories like tonight dont need to be celebrated by a cold glass of water. A beer wont kill them and if the players respond to being treated as adults by delivering performances no one will complain.
    Fair enough argument.

I still think the optics are bad however and that it sends out a bad message considering all of the focus on the fans' drinking habits and Ireland's destructive drinking culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dunphy is normally full of **** but him saying there's a good team in there somewhere is true.

We can't keep carrying lads who show zero courage in trying to get on the ball and help the team. McClean is limited but he worked hard without the ball AND never stopped showing for it. I've been reluctant to join in the criticism of McCarthy but he was gutless in how he hid from receiving the ball.

McClean, Brady, Quinn, Hoolahan, Hendrick, McGeady would be my midfield. McClean and McGeady can't cross for **** and we mightn't be physically strong in the centre but **** it. At least we'd show the same courage with the ball as we do without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The BBC commentator must have Irish relations. He enjoyed it as much as we did :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

did anyone hear johnathon pearse on BBC, he ****ing lost it. I hate the home nation term too but its just a reality we share a culture with the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair its the Irish president many on this island wouldn't know who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The BBC commentator must have Irish relations. He enjoyed it as much as we did :p

You just wait until Sir Killalot dumps a robot into a flaming pit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement