Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Who is commentating for the bbc.

Camera cuts to our President, and he says "whatever the age, the Irish are celebrating" (or similar)

Dont think he knew who it was.

Well why would he know?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

rob316 wrote: »
    To be fair its the Irish president many on this island wouldn't know who he is.

Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You just wait until Sir Killalot dumps a robot into a flaming pit.

I knew I knew his voice! It's less impressive now knowing how excited he could get about two robots controlled by a couple of nerds setting each other on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

jMhlYKsh.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

corny wrote: »
    Dunphy is normally full of **** but him saying there's a good team in there somewhere is true.
    Yeah. This Ireland team isn't great, but they are a hell of a lot better and more dangerous when they actually try to play football, rather than sitting deep and defending. Whether they will be allowed to play ball by France (or the manager) will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Twitter comment of the night

Ireland choose Remain :)

https://twitter.com/fotoole/status/745735699220074497

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Dreaming of a jammy revenge win against France and a penalties win against England...

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Where is Stephen Hunt's translater?It's not fair on the many thousands trying to enjoy the highlights package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Everyone played above themselves tonight, pretty much. As good as a performance as it was, you can't use as vindication for players like McClean, McGeady and McCarthy as why they should remain as starters or subs. The game went to show what those players can do when they're given a good pep talk, though. When it's impressed upon them the task they have to complete and they take that to heart. There's talent in those players that hasn't always come to the fore. It's something we've lamented in the past and probably will again. If only every night of theirs in a green (or white) shirt could be like this, we'd be laughing, but it's not.

Tonight was a team performance, buoyed by the fans. O'Neill will still have work to do in selecting his starting XI v France. To simply say, "Well, that worked against Italy. This is the team I should use." would be naive and not taking the emotional context of the Italy game and the disparity in stakes for the two teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

It was beautiful to see Robby go over to the brother in the crowd. I can't remember if it was after the game, or when the goal happened. Delirious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No work on Monday so.

Tomorrow ain't looking too good either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Debil wrote: »
    It was beautiful to see Robby go over to the brother in the crowd. I can't remember if it was after the game, or when the goal happened. Delirious.
    After the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do we know which of the British broadcasters are showing the France v Ireland game? If it's the BBC would they dare put Henry on the panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

nullzero wrote: »
    Dreaming of a jammy revenge win against France and a penalties win against England...
    Hardly an earth shattering achievement; everybody (and his dog) beats us on penalties.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can't get too excited by this tonight because I'm old enough to remember Italia 90

But if they could beat them on Sunday it will blow everything in the past out of the water

And I would love the younger fans to experience that feeling of pure joy where the country loses its mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

briany wrote: »
    Everyone played above themselves tonight, pretty much. As good as a performance as it was, you can't use as vindication for players like McClean, McGeady and McCarthy as why they should remain as starters or subs. The game went to show what those players can do when they're given a good pep talk, though. When it's impressed upon them the task they have to complete and they take that to heart. There's talent in those players that hasn't always come to the fore. It's something we've lamented in the past and probably will again. If only every night of theirs in a green (or white) shirt could be like this, we'd be laughing, but it's not.

Tonight was a team performance, buoyed by the fans. O'Neill will still have work to do in selecting his starting XI v France. To simply say, "Well, that worked against Italy. This is the team I should use." would be naive and not taking the emotional context of the Italy game and the disparity in stakes for the two teams.

I know the point you are making, but the emotional context remains the same - we have to beat France, or we are out. And there is a wrong to be righted. The pep talk almost writes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Canadel wrote: »
    Yeah. This Ireland team isn't great, but they are a hell of a lot better and more dangerous when they actually try to play football, rather than sitting deep and defending. Whether they will be allowed to play ball by France (or the manager) will be interesting.

Its a mindset though. In the 3 games the team that put us under most pressure while in possession was Sweden. Strangely it was also the best we played with the ball. The Belgians were almost lazy in pressuring the ball but we never bothered to even try and pass the ball. We completely conceded they were superior without even testing them. Thats what i mean by courage. You have to have conviction to take the game to the opposition no matter what colour jersey they're wearing.

FWIW i don't think the French will put us under crazy pressure when in possession. Its there for us to test them if we have it in us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

briany wrote: »
    O'Neill will still have work to do in selecting his starting XI v France. To simply say, "Well, that worked against Italy. This is the team I should use." would be naive and not taking the emotional context of the Italy game and the disparity in stakes for the two teams.

He surely won't.
    Am I right in thinking the French have 3 extra days rest on us ?
    He'll be well aware we could run out of steam at the end., it could even go to extra time.
    Long must be knackered.

The likes of O'Shea or Whelan could come back into the reckoning, maybe Walters.
    Do we start McGeady, and target Evra from the start ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A great hard fought win by Ireland, delighted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Via Twitter:
    ��ALL THAT SHE WANTS IS A ROBBIE BRADY, HE'LL SCORE NO BOTHER BOY, ALL THAT SHE WANTS... etc ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jesus, watching the Swedish highlights, they can count themselves unlucky. Belgium are probably lucky to be going through at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not only did we qualify but we beat ****ing Italy!!!!!!!!

One of the best teams in this tournament

CANT BELIEVE IT - BRING ON THE FRENCH!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

One of only 4 teams to beat Italy in the World Cup and Euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Jonathan Pearce. He's terrible.

He was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Music Box

Is Stephen Hunt actually one of the apres match crew taking the pis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

dressingroom.jpg

13507091_10153779460672887_6422171544853441231_n.jpg?oh=d02b23ecb94fdfa476c32cb6131a56d8&oe=57FC95D0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I said it before the game, this was still the best 11 of a 23 man squad of one of the best footballing nations of all time, make no mistake about it this was a sign of the talent we have. What a ****ing night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

358FF58900000578-3654952-image-a-83_1466625522160.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Clltl78XEAQDSD5?format=jpg&name=small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ that miss by Hoolahan though! Conversely it was at that moment I knew we had the spirit to get another chance! I've seen Wes bounce back so much from knocks in his career, never gave up on his dream to play for Ireland! And then at 34 years old he finally reaches his pinnacle.........those few minutes between that miss and that assist, devastation to elation!

Big up the Wes!

I would like to purchase a ticket for this bandwagon please! :P

martyos121 wrote: »
    Clltl78XEAQDSD5?format=jpg&name=small

Proper order! Bit of a robbie Keane head on him there!

flazio wrote: »
    Do we know which of the British broadcasters are showing the France v Ireland game? If it's the BBC would they dare put Henry on the panel?

ITV is showing the Ireland and England games in this 1st knock out round

BBC is showing Wales V Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mec27 wrote: »
    I said it before the game, this was still the best 11 of a 23 man squad of one of the best footballing nations of all time, make no mistake about it this was a sign of the talent we have. What a ****ing night!

Let's all just calm the **** down please. I got it wrong. No probs. But we have a job to do on France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Can people give the Delaney thing a break, just for tonight, please?
    Yeah, give him a break. He would have got us a place as the 17th team in the round of 16 if we failed to win tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

QEwyf97.png

Say we did beat France (believe) what day would we play England /Iceland. Wedding next weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Roy Keane has a real problem with finding ways to express goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CllxnVwWYAAahEz.jpg

via Ciaran Clark tweet ^

Say we did beat France (believe) what day would we play England /Iceland. Wedding next weekend!!

Full week after Sunday 3rd July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yours or someone else's?

Either way cancel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

?width=605

?height=528

looks like brady held that one in for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd wish they'd stop drinking now so we can whip the French on Sunday :pac:

Corholio wrote: »
    Word for McCarthy there tonight, him and those in midfield gave Italians absolutely nothing in there. Broke up passes, nicked in to dispossess and covered Brady a good few times tonight when he went forward and kept the play spread across the midfield too, which from all the midfielders is something I was surprised and delighted about. He's part of one of Ireland's greatest results and did his part tonight.

Best player on the pitch in Germany victory also and the first leg in Bosnia. Got extremely hard abuse the last few days, even though he was very poor (like almost everyone) against Belgium.

That's 3 of our biggest results last couplease of years.

adox wrote: »
    Yours or someone else's?

Either way cancel it.

Do you know the answer. No its a friends, it's on Friday. Would be great if the game, if we got there was on the second day of the wedding!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Let's all just calm the **** down please. I got it wrong. No probs. But we have a job to do on France.

:D

CllxnVwWYAAahEz.jpg

via Ciaran Clark tweet ^

Where's the fat kit man (superman!!) Thought he'd be all over this?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

horgan_p wrote: »
    somewhere in heaven billo is smiling

Just catching up on the glory of this thread and now I've got all of the emotions :)

Advertisement