Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Best player on the pitch in Germany victory also and the first leg in Bosnia. Got extremely hard abuse the last few days, even though he was very poor (like almost everyone) against Belgium.

That's 3 of our biggest results last couplease of years.

He's a talented lad. He was immense against Germany and I hoped it was a turning point for him in the Irish jersey and all I want is for him to play like he can. It's the mismatch between ability and performance and here's hoping it keeps going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sand wrote: »
    Roy Keane has a real problem with finding ways to express goodwill.

All the pictures of him hugging people tonight look like that awkward hug scene from Step Brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Crap, just realised were playing the hosts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

mansize wrote: »

pressure all on them !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

mansize wrote: »

Imagine how they're feeling!

This ain't Albania or Romania, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm on such a high still I can't get to sleep.

**** you Robbie Brady:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Kenjataimu wrote: »

He certainly rose to the occasion. That tackle at the start brought back memories of Keane on Overmars. Couldn't help but think of the scene in Mike Bassett when he gives the quiet bloke with no nickname the armband before the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

So so proud of them! What a match vs the hosts, it doesn't get bigger than that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jayop wrote: »
    Was any one of those players anything short of top class tonight? Fecking brilliant!!!!!

It's an odd one IMO.

If it had finished 0-0 most of the posts on here would have been about how poor Ireland were. For all the huffing and puffing for the majority of the game Ireland didn't look like they were going to do anything and Italy looked very comfortable.

The goal has changed people's entire perception of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Jonathan Pearce. He's terrible.

Good old JP is a great commentator, passionate, calls it as it is, and cut his teeth on TV commentary with Channel 5 and the dullest of dull UEFA Cup matches and made them remotely interesting to watch. As for 'Home' nation stuff - that's a back handed compliment and not totally out of order with the amount of Irish people living in the UK and players that grew up in the UK and pulling on the green shirt. As for Dunphy, yes he is a miserable git and likes to live on the edge of controversy but no one can doubt his real hopes of success of the Irish team. If people want bland pundits that agree all the time then the BBC is the place to watch football.

One of the interesting things in this tournament has been the refereeing. By and large they have been strong in not giving in to 'simulation'. It has actually worked against us with the penalty shout v Belgium and to a lesser extent the McClean shout tonight. But there were some feisty challanges tonight that the ref let go whereas a continental ref would have had the cards out plenty tonight by previous form. The Houlihan chance came about because the Italians expected a whistle when the defender landed in a heap, I certainly expected a whistle and I wouldn't be surprised if Houlihan expected one too but did what we were all thought and to play the whistle.

Overall yes it was a second string Italy but the pressure was on us. Bar a few moments if we play like tonight again we will get chances. Keeping Payet quiet is the big task now. But we had some big lumps of lads throughout the side tonight and it showed that it has its merits at times. Hendricks, Brady, Duffy as just a few examples who have done themselves no harm to their profile and could move this summer. Randolph also should get a No. 1 job somewhere. McCarthy is still due a big game for Ireland and no better time than this weekend. Murphy had a useful game and could soften up a defence before the nippier lads come on. McClean was very level headed and kept his discipline which must have been drilled in to him. Keogh and Ward get honourable mentions. Coleman looked a bit nervous as one of the elder statesmen. Long was some nuisance for the Italians.

If we can mix and match the 2 performances that earned points the French are not unbeatable. We were physical but mixed it up with being direct to playing keep ball a bit too.

A cracking nights work and regardless of naysayers going on about a weakened Italy...the French would rather be slugging it out v Sweden than us!!

I should add that imo the best panel of pundits together so far on RTE has been Duff, Brady, and Hamann, I thought they were a great mix with 'chemistry' if that's the right word. If Hamann isn't always going to be there Sadlier would fit in well. Giles going may not be for the sentimental type but the guys mentioned have been really good as there is going to be a change of the old guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

awec wrote: »
    It's an odd one IMO.

If it had finished 0-0 most of the posts on here would have been about how poor Ireland were. For all the huffing and puffing for the majority of the game Ireland didn't look like they were going to do anything and Italy looked very comfortable.

I disagree. It was a very good display by Ireland up until the goal. We lacked some quality in the final third but he effort and application were among the best we've seen in this campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm on such a high still I can't get to sleep.

**** you Robbie Brady:pac:

Yeah. Shouldn't have bought so much beer.

Listening back to Off The Ball as it happened.

2 mins injury time left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I thought the Italian's showed great sportsmanship in some moments.

The ref wanted to throw the 50/50 ball but the Italian lad kicked it out for what it was originally meant to be our throw in. The fans appreciated that too.

Well said. Easy to forget - with all the celebrations - how rubbish this guy was! That 50/50 throw in was ridiculous, and obviously the push on McLean was a stonewall penalty. I hope UEFA take a good look at this guy's performance, he should be nowhere near any of the knockout games, based on some of his decisions tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mec27 wrote: »
    So so proud of them! What a match vs the hosts, it doesn't get bigger than that.

"I love Ireland but it is boring now. I'm half American and I get more buzz out of seeing how they will progress. Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone, I don't expect any serious talent to emerge and if it does it will be a fluke, a one off and I think we are too far gone that if we do get a world class player in next 5 years, the rest of the talent will be so bad that it won't make an iota of difference"

Sorry the bandwagon is now full, you cannot re-enter.

That was a quick resurrection from being dead to you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

1z23q8o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's an odd one IMO.

It would have been disappointing, but not because Ireland had been poor, and people calling it a poor performance would have been quickly corrected. The Belgian game was a poor performance, particularly in the second half, but I was already pleased with how this team were playing at half time tonight.

Look at the shot and possession stats at the end of the game, for God's sake.

Corholio wrote: »
    "I love Ireland but it is boring now. I'm half American and I get more buzz out of seeing how they will progress. Irish team is dead to me now, the buzz has long gone, I don't expect any serious talent to emerge and if it does it will be a fluke, a one off and I think we are too far gone that if we do get a world class player in next 5 years, the rest of the talent will be so bad that it won't make an iota of difference"

Sorry the bandwagon is now full, you cannot re-enter.

That was a quick resurrection from being dead to you ;)

They have a performance I believed they could do, I never bought into the whole 'we don't have the players' line that many spout on here. TBH we lost to Belgium more down to our inferior physical capabilities more than anything else, they were stronger, faster and more powerful than us everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

BBC Two showing the game in full again. It's going too make for better viewing now,after downing quiet a lot of drink. Bring on the French. COYBIG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

They have a performance I believed they could do, I never bought into the whole 'we don't have the players' line that many spout on here. TBH we lost to Belgium more down to our inferior physical capabilities more than anything else, they were stronger, faster and more powerful than us everywhere.

We dont have the players. We beat a disinterested Italian team tonight. It was great, but lets not get carried away.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Well said. Easy to forget - with all the celebrations - how rubbish this guy was! That 50/50 throw in was ridiculous, and obviously the push on McLean was a stonewall penalty. I hope UEFA take a good look at this guy's performance, he should be nowhere near any of the knockout games, based on some of his decisions tonight.

I just cant agree! McClean was a good shout but stonewall nope, it was open to the 'seen them given' argument. The hop ball was due to the second ball coming on the pitch I think though I was walking in and out of the room a sheer wreck. Didnt one of the lads get booked v Belgium for playing a second ball that was thrown on to the pitch by one of the ball boys? The ref played on to the shock and horror of the Italians as they tried to play him when they crumpled up in a heap. He also stopped the game at the corner a few times to sort out that problematic mess. I felt he had a good game!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

It's an odd one IMO.

If Ireland lost, it would have been about the brilliance of O'Neill's selection/team performance and the craven indecision of the referee.

You just wish they drew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Those are.the days you live for. Train to schipol sadly soon. Thought we had thrown it away missing so many chances. Then they rattle the post then we miss that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I just cant agree! McClean was a good shout but stonewall nope, it was open to the 'seen them given' argument. The hop ball was due to the second ball coming on the pitch I think though I was walking in and out of the room a sheer wreck. Didnt one of the lads get booked v Belgium for playing a second ball that was thrown on to the pitch by one of the ball boys? The ref played on to the shock and horror of the Italians as they tried to play him when they crumpled up in a heap. He also stopped the game at the corner a few times to sort out that problematic mess. I felt he had a good game!!

Just no. It was an awful non decision. It was a penalty all day long.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    We dont have the players. We beat a disinterested Italian team tonight. It was great, but lets not get carried away.

Yes Eamonn! I dont think many are getting carried away at all. Tonight has been a good one but people are at risk of underestimating the achievement also. No side wants to be beaten including the Italian second string (after tonight they'll be bricking it if Buffon is out). I hate the old 'you can only beat whats in front of you' mantra but tonight we put together a performance. We didnt do it particularly well against the likes of Georgia and this Italian team tonight were superior to sides we have struggled against. Tonights Italy were stronger than Scotland albeit without the do or die motivation in terms of qualification - it was true for the players who wanted to get in to a starting 11 for the Spain game. For once we should quit the talking down things. We qualified from a horror group for the finals and are now in the last 16 in Europe from another horror group! Not to shabby at all, especially as we threw away 2 points v Sweden, were humiliated v Belgium and yet had the character to pick up the necessary result to go and meet the hosts. I'm not getting carried away but I dont think it will be an easy win for France either. The French crowd are fickle so keep it tight and they will start getting on the backs. It is the French that will have to deal with expectation! We are in bonus territory from now on all things considered. England possibly in the QF is a great incentive for all though Iceland are no mugs so that is no banker for Hodgson and co either. I was actually quite surprised by the BBC panelists who were openly celebrating getting Iceland due to Portugal not winning yet Portugal were carved apart by Hungary, and Iceland were steadfast against the Portugal side BBC pundits feared most??? Not as if England havent struggled breaking down a defensive side...

I hate Robby Brady as I cant sleep now either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Grandeeod wrote: »

Enjoy success when you can. Could be a while before you see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I was actually quite surprised by the BBC panelists who were openly celebrating getting Iceland due to Portugal not winning yet Portugal were carved apart by Hungary, and Iceland were steadfast against the Portugal side BBC pundits feared most??? Not as if England havent struggled breaking down a defensive side...

You're forgetting that the English have a few bad memories regarding Portugal. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hate Robby Brady as I cant sleep now either!!!

The whole country hates Robbie Brady.*

*The above sentence may contain traces of nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's always some drysh1tes trying to be too cool for school, milking every screed of fun from that win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's almost goal time on BBC2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd love to get the Turkish commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Watched it again there.

DAT CROSS.

Its a wonder pass from Hoolihan, absolute quality tbf, absolute top quality, he has displayed two standout moments in this tournament, not many players can claim that, magestic.

• Advertisement

Spoilers FFS!:mad:

Really bad timing eh. But GOAL was actually on bbc before I posted that.

Really bad timing eh. But GOAL was actually on bbc before I posted that.

I'd paused it for a pish stop, seen it live anyway but still!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Its a wonder pass from Hoolihan, absolute quality tbf, absolute top quality, he has displayed two standout moments in this tournament, not many players can claim that, magestic.

You are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Absolutely gas how clearly delighted Buffon was that Ireland qualified.

Terry Henrys handball is going to come back to haunt him
    We now have revenge in sight .It will be a good victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I disagree. It was a very good display by Ireland up until the goal. We lacked some quality in the final third but he effort and application were among the best we've seen in this campaign.

I'm struggling to think of many Irish performance in which we dominated a side which, on paper at least, were our betters.

The great Irish victories, Germany in the qualifiers, Italy in 94, the Ducth in the 02 qualifiers etc have all been games we nicked, games in which we were dominated but held out after or until we nicked a goal, but tonight was fully deserved. Had the game finished scoreless, I think the side would have got a lot of credit for tonight's performance.

We came through possibly the toughest qualifying group and found our way into arguably the toughest group in France. While Belgium decimated us, we fully deserved tonight and probably would have been worth the three points in the Sweeden game too. Weakened Italy side or not, the team deserves huge credit. Hopefully karma will give us a hand too in Paris, it owes us that at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Didn't go into hiding after his earlier mishap. Demanded the ball and made something of it by putting it right into Brady's path.

As an aside, like most Irish fans I follow an English club. Short of Liverpool winning a treble that I generously backed at long odds, I can't imagine any scenario in which club football could make me happier than Robbie Bradys header did tonight

Very average Italy side.

In very tough conditions we got the deserved win.

I'd love to get the Turkish commentary

and the Italian commentary!

LiamoSail wrote: »
    As an aside, like most Irish fans I follow an English club. Short of Liverpool winning a treble that I generously backed at long odds, I can't imagine any scenario in which club football could make me happier than Robbie Bradys header did tonight

"follow" is the key word.

You are an embarrassment.

What are you talking about, it was class play.

LiamoSail wrote: »

I follow an English club too but not ahead of my beloved League of Ireland side, part of a league that tonight's success wouldn't have happened without it's contribution!!!

"follow" is the key word.

Is it aye? Let's pretend then that I was addressing the point only to the non-super fans of the forum who are slightly less concerned with irrelevant terminology than the diehards such as yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Is Buffon the nicest man in football?
    Nicest man in football?

• Advertisement
Advertisement