Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I follow an English club too but not ahead of my beloved League of Ireland side, part of a league that tonight's success wouldn't have happened without it's contribution!!!

Yea fully appreciate its different for Loi fans. They have the community connection that those not supporting their local side simply can't have, myself included obviously. That's what makes Ireland more important for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Well lads we ****in did it. Let's get out there and knock the bollocks out of France, never been more happy to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Feck it. That was a great performance and result. Well done to all involved, and particularly to the selector of the team and the players in whom he trusted.

Keep it rockin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Amazing night, can't believe we got the goal we needed.

After Wes missed that chance I thought we were done. Was awaiting the usual played like heroes, never gave up and we have the best fans ever stuff but are still on the way home.

Not tonight my son, not tonight. Get the fook in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

What do you reckon the story was between Gigi Buffon coming up to MON and Keane, looked like he really went of his way to and that they had a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yea fully appreciate its different for Loi fans. They have the community connection that those not supporting their local side simply can't have, myself included obviously. That's what makes Ireland more important for me

Well the same reason for picking up an English club to support without any connection to Liverpool ,for example, could also apply to a League of Ireland club. Not to drag this into any sort of LoI for or against stuff. My Brother in Law is from Leitrim but is a Shels fans as he went to DCU. His kids (my nephews) are Dundalk fans as I took them to games in Oriel Park. There is no changing his LoI club no matter what. He is also a Liverpool fan. But he has gone to cup games in Dundalk when playing Shelbourne. It is obviously not comparing like with like with EPL and LoI and its not mutually exclusive. If people like yourself take on a LoI side to support whether going to games or not, the more people that follow the league even on TV means that there is a greater chance of more players going through the coaching (under UEFA Pro coaches) and developing to the point of having a better chance of a move abroad and playing with the international side.

A common argument here is if a Portuguese player goes to Spain and doesn't make it initially they have the chance to go back to a Porto, Lisbon, Benfica. LoI isnt at that level but the players that are rejected in England can take a step back to a LoI, well supported, hence better funded, and maybe have another go at moving to a top European league. The whole Vardy stuff has people among the football coaching community in England scratching heads. How many potential Roy Keanes (yes I know not everyone cup of tea) that fall between the cracks due to not having a supported and resourced league to ply their trade at a younger age. We cannot forever rely on English clubs to develop our player considering the ethos of money based quick fix international signings that will limit Irish players chances of exposure to regular top flight football. We have to consider this impediment to having a competitive international side without a properly supported and hence viable domestic league that can cut it regularly for a few rounds of European comps.

Lads I need to see bbcs commentary again, it was brilliant, not quite iceland commentary level but intense AF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Honestly, that's the most complete Irish performance I've seen since our game v Russia in euro 88. To dominate a top tier nation like that from start to finish was outstanding. Some emotions running through me when the final whistle went. Been a long time since I felt like that after/during a football game.... Maybe Spain in 2002 was the last time... But what a feeling to come out on top this time. We thoroughly deserved that... There is a footballing God after all. What a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Loved every second of it, thought the chance was gone when Wes scuffed it into the keeper. Delighted for everyone behind the scenes, there's never enough recognition. All we see is Dunphy talking sh1te digging into O'Neill but those players are out on a training pitch every day preparing for games. Happy for roy too, legendary player who did his best for the country and had enough ( and buffon ), great chemistry there at the end.

Would only be in on boards where there's eejits taking jibes at fellow posters trying to get the upper hand. Sad sh1te in all honesty. Hang your heads in shame.

Delighted for everyone involved.

• Advertisement

Reading Tardelli's comments here
    “As for Jeff Hendrick, we picked him up at Derby County, in the Championship. I was there to see a central defender, but I was struck by him,” Tardelli added.
    "He's what you'd call a player of the past, but the truth is a bit different. He is modern in ways that aren't immediately perceived, but they emerge when you really need them. I offered him to some Italian teams, but maybe he wasn't expensive enough
    ."

You know you are a decent footballer when Tardelli is calling you a throwback to a previous era(I assume he rates Hendrick as an old fashioned ball playing midfielder) and tried to get him to Serie A. Obviously Irish players not glamarous enough by his expensive comment.

Surely he won't be a Championship player after this tournament.

If Sweden had won and would have been on 4 pts who would have missed out? NI were qualified with GD of 0 on 3 pts and Portugal were on 3pts with GD of 0. Was it on games won so NI won 1 and Portugal drew 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Nesta99 wrote: »
    If Sweden had won and would have been on 4 pts who would have missed out? NI were qualified with GD of 0 on 3 pts and Portugal were on 3pts with GD of 0. Was it on games won so NI won 1 and Portugal drew 3?

Belgium, they would of been bottom of our group.

Of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

511 wrote: »

Scots could have voted for independence and found the worlds largest oil reserves off their shore the next day and they'd still be bitter about something. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Dunphy nailed the Scots when talking about Ferguson and Strachan :pac:

Eamon: “Scots they’re either nice or they’re horrid and these two are horrid.

Bill: “The Scots wont like that Eamon, that’s bordering on racism”.

Eamon: “It’s not racism its ethnic criticism Bill”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mec27 wrote: »
    What do you reckon the story was between Gigi Buffon coming up to MON and Keane, looked like he really went of his way to and that they had a connection.

The Italians were letting us win and he was asking why we took so long to actually get the ball into the back of the net.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I thought Paddy Power ensured the Scot support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fcuking work now! Think I might call in dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

To be fair, the majority are saying well done to us but lamenting over their own side not been there, which is understandable.

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem to be find consolation in the fact that 3 of the teams in their group made it through so it was the hardest group they could have gotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No bottle.....on or off the pitch!! Delighted for them :D

"If we only had half the luck the Irish get....." - they seem to forget their goal at the Aviva that was heading miles wide til it hit O'Shea's hole :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now I propose the new hashtag #GIVEAHANDTOIRELAND!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Keane must take some credit too for giving them the mentality to let them know from the start Italy are in for a battle.

Those few tackles in the opening few minutes set the tempo and were definitely Keanes touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fcuking work now! Think I might call in dead.

Same, I can't handle this at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I didn't drink last night but I feel hungover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

fyfe79 wrote: »
    To be fair, the majority are saying well done to us but lamenting over their own side not been there, which is understandable.

Interestingly, they're making the argument that if GD rather than head 2 head was used, then the Italians would have played at full tilt and we wouldn't have gotten the result.

I see their thinking but they're wrong.

Italy's problem is that there was no way for them NOT to win the group. Coming second means avoiding Spain in the next match and getting into the easy half of the draw. Belgium now have teams like Croatia, Wales or Portugal in between them and the final. Italy have France, Germany, Spain, England.

I reckon if it got them into second you would have seen the most obvious ever 2-0 loss to us last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've just surfaced.

Me and 5 of my best mates cramped into my mates tiny bedroom having a few beers watching the game on the fackin' RTE Player (Not a Saorview box in sight).

I was a bit too young to appreciate the "spirit of 94" stuff but I'm sure loads of people have their memories of where they were.

In a few years time, if anybody asks where I was, I'll say, I was in a sweaty room getting drowned in beer with my mates when Robbie Brady stuck his head on it.

Fúcking magical.

Did anyone read Tardelli's article? Brady kept mentioning how the Italians wouldn't be too fussed about last night which to us in Ireland seems lunacy, they are pro sportsmen surely they just go out to win no matter what, but tardelli in his article(in italian) said that the irish players had no tactical intelligence, they only knew how to play at 100 percent and interestingly mentioned how the only thing on their minds was 'to attack attack attack'' he went on to say they didn't understand the concept that 100 per cent was not required at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Do you know the answer. No its a friends, it's on Friday. Would be great if the game, if we got there was on the second day of the wedding!

The following Sunday I believe.

Btw I`m off to a wedding that Friday too. Could be the same one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Keane must take some credit too for giving them the mentality to let them know from the start Italy are in for a battle.

Those few tackles in the opening few minutes set the tempo and were definitely Keanes touch.

The only thing by the ref that favoured us was we got a few tasty tackles in early, and he kept his cards in his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I reckon if it got them into second you would have seen the most obvious ever 2-0 loss to us last night.
    And if Belgium played for a draw against Sweden then a 2-0 loss for Italy would still have left them on top of the group with the Belgians avoiding Spain.

Did anyone read Tardelli's article? Brady kept mentioning how the Italians wouldn't be too fussed about last night which to us in Ireland seems lunacy, they are pro sportsmen surely they just go out to win no matter what, but tardelli in his article(in italian) said that the irish players had no tactical intelligence, they only knew how to play at 100 percent and interestingly mentioned how the only thing on their minds was 'to attack attack attack'' he went on to say they didn't understand the concept that 100 per cent was not required at all times.

But this is true. The 2 Italian CB's that weren't dropped for last night would have been idiotic to go at full tilt for the 90. Same for anyone who has hopes of making a difference in forthcoming matches.

Yes, they are professional sportsmen representing their country but their entire country for 2 days has just been thinking 'fcuk, Spain!!!'. We were irrelevant.

Pulling on the jersey if course is important but when the jersey has 4 World Cup stars over the crest, it slightly changes what it means to represent your nation, or at least what it means to successfully represent your nation.

I said yesterday that the route for victory for Irleand was to go in hard for everything, to let the Italians know 'of course you can win this, but compete for every 50/50 ball and you're risking a lot'.

Any professional footballer with another match against the holders in a few days has no choice there.

When it counts they'll give everything.

gosplan wrote: »
    But this is true. The 2 Italian CB's that weren't dropped for last night would have been idiotic to go at full tilt for the 90. Same for anyone who has hopes of making a difference in forthcoming matches.

Yes, they are professional sportsmen representing their country but their entire country for 2 days has just been thinking 'fcuk, Spain!!!'. We were irrelevant.

Pulling on the jersey if course is important but when the jersey has 4 World Cup stars over the crest, it slightly changes what it means to represent your nation, or at least what it means to successfully represent your nation.

I said yesterday that the route for victory for Irleand was to go in hard for everything, to let the Italians know 'of course you can win this, but compete for every 50/50 ball and you're risking a lot'.

Any professional footballer with another match against the holders in a few days has no choice there.

When it counts they'll give everything.

It doesn't explain why players like Parolo weren't getting on the ball and trying to do themselves proud though. Ireland were pretty much in control, Italy didn't even look good on the ball. That makes no sense considering that none of them were going to be playing against Spain, why not put in a performance, Insigne came on and tried so why do we just assume its the Italians nonchalance towards the game rather than their lack of ability or ability of the Irish team.

Your narrative doesn't really hold up either because I'm reading some of the Italian players getting panned by gazetta dello sport, so it wasn't a game Italy was just saying ah lads go out and let those pale islanders have another chance in the tournament, sure their fans are great. The match was scrutinized, Insigne is even getting praised for the passion he showed when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

kfallon wrote: »
    No bottle.....on or off the pitch!! Delighted for them :D

"If we only had half the luck the Irish get....." - they seem to forget their goal at the Aviva that was heading miles wide til it hit O'Shea's hole :rolleyes:
    They keep banging on about the 4 points they took from us but of the 12 points available from Germany and Georgia we got 10 and they got 3.
    "... half the luck" eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Anybody look into going over for the match Sunday? If so, what are the cheapest possible routes??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It doesn't explain why players like Parolo weren't getting on the ball and trying to do themselves proud though. Ireland were pretty much in control, Italy didn't even look good on the ball. That makes no sense considering that none of them were going to be playing against Spain, why not put in a performance, Insigne came on and tried so why do we just assume its the Italians nonchalance towards the game rather than their lack of ability or ability of the Irish team.

Maybe in training, Conte didn't even give the match any attention once he knew who they would be playing in the last 16.

Parolo wasn't even playing....so how could he get on the ball :pac: Insigne should have started I don't understand why he didn't......but their minds were likely elsewhere. Doesn't matter to Ireland tho.
    I imagine Italy will play the same team they did vs Belgium next week. Only problem position for them is down the left. They'll hate playing Spain especially cause they were eliminated by them in the last 2 Euros.

Sorry I meant Sturaro, but basically could have said any of the players, there are so many elements at play that the line that the Italains weren't bothered doesn't hold up for me. All the pressure was on Ireland, it in theory was a lot easier for the Italians to go out there and do their stuff without any pressure and stroll to a comprehensive 2-0 win as we see in domestic leagues when the big clubs wrap up their titles. Ireland could have easily froze and not shown up, they did and were fully deserving of the win.

As I said the likes of Bernadeschi are getting panned by their media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PáircLife wrote: »
    Anybody look into going over for the match Sunday? If so, what are the cheapest possible routes??

If you have a good bike and leave right now, you'll cycle to Lyon in 3 days. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does Buffon have previous with O'Neill or something? He just seemed very warm towards him after the match.

He's played against us a few times over the past few years and would probably have remembered four year's ago. I'd like to think he was just happy for us, and felt we'd earned it on the night. Ultimately us winning didn't hurt them.

It was a classy moment whatever he was thinking!

Just on the Italian B team debate, in his book Nadal talks about how if you seen the a 250 player in the world and a top 5 players in the world in training you would hardly be able to tell the difference between the two players, it is in the competitive match where how they deal with pressure, expectation etc that seperates them. I think this holds true with footballers, there wouldn't be that much of a difference between the Italian lads and the Irish, ultimately last night the Italians wanted to win, but the Irish just wanted to win way way more, and whatever little gap in talent that separates Italy from Ireland in terms of talent was expelled due to this do or die attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just on the Italian B team debate, in his book Nadal talks about how if you seen the a 250 player in the world and a top 5 players in the world in training you would hardly be able to tell the difference between the two players, it is in the competitive match where how they deal with pressure, expectation etc that seperates them. I think this holds true with footballers, there wouldn't be that much of a difference between the Italian lads and the Irish, ultimately last night the Italians wanted to win, but the Irish just wanted to win way way more, and whatever little gap in talent that separates Italy from Ireland in terms of talent was expelled.

Nah, you're wrong. Stop trying to big up the Italian performance to make ours look in any way better. The Italians couldn't have given two ****s last night and it showed. Regardless of it being their 2nd string side mainly, and having 'something to prove', when nothing rides on the game, you are not going to be in it as much as the other team. Ireland controlled the game last night because they had the reason to. Italy were basically just there to make up the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

See you in rosslare:)

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Nah, you're wrong. Stop trying to big up the Italian performance to make ours look in any way better. The Italians couldn't have given two ****s last night and it showed. Regardless of it being their 2nd string side mainly, and having 'something to prove', when nothing rides on the game, you are not going to be in it as much as the other team. Ireland controlled the game last night because they had the reason to. Italy were basically just there to make up the numbers.

I remeber yesterday you tried to claim that Italy would be passing Ireland off the park as if they were Belgium or Germany and we'd be lucky to be going into the final half hour 0-0 :D

Your narrative doesn't really hold up either because I'm reading some of the Italian players getting panned by gazetta dello sport, so it wasn't a game Italy was just saying ah lads go out and let those pale islanders have another chance in the tournament, sure their fans are great. The match was scrutinized, Insigne is even getting praised for the passion he showed when he came on.

Parolo didn't play I think.

Italy got a bit from Insigne and El Shararwy(???), I think simply because they're trying to get into the managers thinking in some way. Insigne has been continually overlooked by Conte so he's actually one of the only one's with nothing to lose yesterday.

Gazetta will of course pan them. Any media will. But I don't think anyone gives a sh1t now.

It's like having a carling cup 2nd leg where you're massively ahead a few days before a champions league final. It's a match so of course the fans and media will buy in but it'll clearly not what the players were focussed on and they're not going to risk booking, injury or fatigue in a match that essentially means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Really expensive. Can get the train from Paris to Lyon for c€100 but getting there is ridiculously expensive. Cheapest flights are c.€600 at the moment.

Its insanely expensive, being an island sucks(sometimes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In fairness, there's a few bitters but most of them aren't. Most of them just seem understandably disappointed because they were a hair away from being in our place. Plenty of well-wishers too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement