Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Irelands' 9th game at a Euros finals and a striker has yet to score. Answer? MON plays Daryl Murphy.

Cause what happened in 1988 really matters to Oneill's selection.

Long ball to murphy's head is the best we can hope for against Italy. Do you not understand that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

17larsson wrote: »
    Giles is an old man now. Doesn't have anything constructive to say anymore.
    Still like him but he's right to be calling it a day after this tournament

Bloody hell what an ageist and insulting statement.

He's more than capable of analysing a match and arguing a point.

He's old not senile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

There isnt one player on the Italy B team that wouldnt start for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I think the formation is all wrong :mad:

Gilesy should be gone, he can't do tournment football now.
    Same applies to Dunphy.

Put Duffer out on the left, Brady in the Middle and Hamann oot on the right.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell what an ageist and insulting statement.

He's more than capable of analysing a match and arguing a point.

He's old not senile.

Agreed.. I find for some bizarre reason that is is so much more insightful when he has his own slot of Off the Ball on Newstalk... I get the impression that the RTE thing is just like the Dunphy show and he will answer something only if asked.. he never seems to interject...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

enzo roco wrote: »
    Long ball to murphy's head is the best we can hope for against Italy. Do you not understand that?

Long ball into that Italian defence is not the best way to play Italy. No need to be getting all protective of the crap tactics being employed either.

spock. wrote: »
    'We just don't know'

John Giles.

Do you know?

Because I certainly don't. Nobody does.

Don't think Martin O'Neill does either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Can see an early Italy goal here and a couple more after that. Whatever about changing some of the forward players to try to do more in attack, changing both centre halves is a shocking decision unless there are injuries we don't know about. Only Coleman from the back five is proven in a top league. 0-4

Strumms wrote: »
    He has had a good run has Giles... Damien Duff has been very impressive as a pundit, hope he gets the gig.. Saddlier talks a decent bit of sence but is somewhat of an unlikeable fellow at the same time a bit smarmy and smug or something. I can't warm to him at all.

I think Sadlier is class, so much better than the other idiots who are there only because of the jobs for the boys mentality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Jaysus the fans exactly the board of Mensa are they.

"I think we'll win 5-0"

"I think Robbie Keane will score the first".

The lads would be more worried if the pubs shut that if the team went 2-0 down. ole ole ole

• Advertisement

I think our best hope here is that Italy just don't give a sh1t about this match and are focused mentally on Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Cause what happened in 1988 really matters to Oneill's selection.

Calm down Enzo, my lad. You've taken my post the wrong way. I was suggesting that something unforeseen may happen tonight and wouldn't be at all surprised if Murphy gets the winner in a 1-0. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Do you know?

Was about to post the very same thing.

Could line up a number of different ways but I think it will be 4-2-3-1 with Long on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When Richard Dunne was asked about meeting France in the next round if Ireland win tonight on ITV he said there would be big motivation to beat France the ITV host said oh are you going on about Henry's handball...Dunne's reply well you always go on about Maradona's handball :)

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I think Sadlier is class, so much better than the other idiots who are there only because of the jobs for the boys mentality

Duffer was the real find of the championships. I thought he was going to be a lot more reserved, but he's very forthright and not afraid to say how he feels. Was really honest what he said about Robbie Keane as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do you know?

Great. Let's start the coverage at kick off then, and finish it at the final whistle. Maybe a quick news and weather update to get us through halftime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can see an early Italy goal here and a couple more after that. Whatever about changing some of the forward players to try to do more in attack, changing both centre halves is a shocking decision unless there are injuries we don't know about. Only Coleman from the back five is proven in a top league. 0-4

Coleman has had a poor season with Everton and he has also been very poor in this tournament... captain tonight but it wouldn't have had me collapsing with shock if Christie got the nod tonight and Coleman dropped or even pushed forward to right wing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think our best hope here is that Italy just don't give a sh1t about this match and are focused mentally on Spain.

Which won't really happen when 8 of them will be fighting for a place in the team against Spain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'll miss Giles when he's gone. It may be cool to call him old and past it but he has great knowledge of how the game is played and we've been lucky to have him for so many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

What happened there?

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Long ball into that Italian defence is not the best way to play Italy. No need to be getting all protective of the crap tactics being employed either.

Haha, what are you on about?
    How would you break down the italians then? What should Oneill do?

We are more than likely going to lose, cause they are better than us. But for some reason you think if we played your super tactics we'll win easily.

I hope we do win, and then Oneill will be called a genius on boards, but really, it'll more than likely just luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What did you expect?
    Try and football against a team that are player for player better than us?

Id be over the moon with a win, but in reality, 2-0 Italy is more likely.

I didn't expect anything man. I just thought we might be slightly more positive. I don't think long balls to Darryl Murphy will work against a team as good defensively as Italy.

RTE showed a couple of clips from the game against Belgium - McCarthy being one who got the ball about five yards outside our box and just needed to give a simple 5 or 6 yard pass to Whelan who in turn could give it to Ward who had a load of space but instead he turned back to goal and gave it to Randolph who was under pressure. What happened? He hoofed it off downfield and gave it straight back to the Belgians. Can't continually do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

When has John O Shea last had a stellar game for Ireland? He has been poor in both games just like the tournament 4 years ago.

Clark has been a blunder fest aswell, saves his errors for the big day. No qualms about changing both of them if we go down then we go down swinging, rather than persevere with same sh*te as last 2 games.

adox wrote: »
    I'll miss Giles when he's gone. It may be cool to call him old and past it but he has great knowledge of how the game is played and we've been lucky to have him for so many years.

Ah we've all enjoyed Giles over the years but he stayed on two championships too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is Roy Keane in the stadium?

Hmm.

Hasn't walked out on us yet, no?

*joking!*

COME ON IRELAND!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Coleman doing a Gary Neville stare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Come on to **** lads. Have to believe we can get the win.

Play with high energy from the start and press Italy hard. Don't need to go all out from the start as all we need is one goal. If we need a goal in second half we have wes and robbie to come on and nick it.

Never the mans biggest fan but it would be incredible if robbie would come on to get the winner. His international career deserves it.

COYBIG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Haha, what are you on about?
    How would you break down the italians then? What should Oneill do?

We are more than likely going to lose, cause they are better than us. But for some reason you think if we played your super tactics we'll win easily.

I hope we do win, and then Oneill will be called a genius on boards, but really, it'll more than likely just luck.

He should try and play football. Playing long ball relies on luck. And the Italian defence is so well drilled that it is a waste of time trying it. We struggle to play football but at least we tried to in our firsttwo games. The hammering by Belgium has made O'Neill revert to type. As you say, all relies on luck and i'd rather lose trying to play actual football than the neanderthal crap we are about to watch.

Duffer was the real find of the championships. I thought he was going to be a lot more reserved, but he's very forthright and not afraid to say how he feels. Was really honest what he said about Robbie Keane as well.

I like Duffer, I was aiming more at criticism towards Sadlier, although it wasnt aimed at his talent

Did anybody see George Hamilton before the game. He didnt look well at all. Looked very pasty or something.

• Advertisement

Ah we've all enjoyed Giles over the years but he stayed on two championships too long.

I disagree, he is worth listening to.
    Hes a better pundit than 90% of rte/tv3/bt/sky/bbc/itv.

Why can't we wear our Green jersey as the away team?

Did anybody see George Hamilton before the game. He didnt look well at all. Looked very pasty or something.

Hes not exactly 21 years old is he?

Im not saying I think hes a riode, but give the man a bit of slack

That'd be Ronnie Whelan sucking the life out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Jaysus the fans exactly the board of Mensa are they.

"I think we'll win 5-0"

"I think Robbie Keane will score the first".

The lads would be more worried if the pubs shut that if the team went 2-0 down. ole ole ole

Agreed bit embarrassing

Hes not exactly 21 years old is he? Im not saying I think hes a riode, but give the man a bit of slack

Ah I know, and I wouldnt have seen him in person on a regular basis (just hear him), but I just thought he looked a bit ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Someone's been on the powder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Italian national anthem.....love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

He's looked like that the last 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Everyone looks sweating in that stadium.

Will suit the Italians more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

adox wrote: »

The problem with Giles though is that he has a great idea of how the game used to be played, in many respects. He also tends to be a bit hypocritical about talking how players should essentially never be rotated, given he was with Leeds for 12 years and only played 35+ league games on four occasions (back in the days of 42 league games, at that). But the killer blow is that he simply does not know who so, so many of the players are any more, and not just the likes of Iceland's bench, starting players for major nations, and he doesn't appear to put so much as a tap of effort into looking into them.

Still find him highly interesting to listen to, and his 'back in the days' stories can be a joy; he comes over as a good and honest, decent guy and I'd have all the time in the world for him in that sense. But as a pundit, he should have been gone shortly after the vuvuzelas.

That'd be Ronnie Whelan sucking the life out of him.

I find Ronnie hard going alright.. "He should have done this, he should done that, how did he miss that". And him who's most famous goal came off his shin. I prefer when the co commentator gives the player a bit more of a break and has a more positive attitude, like Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Beautiful anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Come on lads give em a good game at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

Don't know about set pieces, 10 of the italians are over 6 foot going by the line-up.

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Pitch is in bits.

Irish commentary anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Early Roy Keane tackle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Great tackle shades of Keane on Overmars

Advertisement