Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group E, Ireland v Italy & Sweden v Belgium, 8PM RTE, TV3, ITV & ITV 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's played against us a few times over the past few years and would probably have remembered four year's ago. I'd like to think he was just happy for us, and felt we'd earned it on the night. Ultimately us winning didn't hurt them.

It was a classy moment whatever he was thinking!

A lovely moment in football. Like you said I'd put it down to the fact that win or lose they were topping the group. Id say he was genuinely delighted for us getting through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mec27 wrote: »
    Its insanely expensive, being an island sucks(sometimes)

Swim, that's free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I remeber yesterday you tried to claim that Italy would be passing Ireland off the park as if they were Belgium or Germany and we'd be lucky to be going into the final half hour 0-0 :D

I didn't say that at all. I said it wasn't a game to go out all guns blazing and forgetting we had to defend as well. We had to play a smart tactical game, which me did.

One thing that did concern me though is that I still don't think our tactical formation was all that great. Coleman was isolated on the right many times when we tried to attack. I think Walters does a better job in the role of right wing/centre forward than Long did last night.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think starting Daryl Murphy on Sunday is a must.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

In fairness, there's a few bitters but most of them aren't. Most of them just seem understandably disappointed because they were a hair away from being in our place. Plenty of well-wishers too.

They wouldn't have qualified against Bosnia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

And the FAI was only six minutes away from getting a big pay out from UEFA :(

Harsh :D

"He paid for your ground. He paid for your ground.
    That Romanian referee
    He paid for your ground."

Nah. I'd prefer the result.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

10 hour bus journey down to Lyon tomorrow :(

Anyone driving? Gis a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I remeber yesterday you tried to claim that Italy would be passing Ireland off the park as if they were Belgium or Germany and we'd be lucky to be going into the final half hour 0-0 :D

And you claimed the Irish team were dead to you after a heavy defeat on Saturday. Now it's all rosy after a huge win?
    That's the worst type of fan there is in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cheapest I've found is €190 to get there on Saturday but it involves 2 planes and a train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cheapest I've found is €190 to get there on Saturday but it involves 2 planes and a train.

Better than my mate who said it was a 1000 before hotels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

O'Shea equaliser v Germany
    Long equaliser v Poland
    Germany win
    Bosnia games
    And now last night.

Best Irish campaign by a distance since 2002 world cup campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

namloc1980 wrote: »

And €213 back on Monday.

And some joint on Airbnb for €223 for two nights divide by two if sharing so €514 all in (excl match ticket).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

iroced wrote: »
    Now it's gonna be tough with Belgium & Italy next. You wanna wish for an Italy win tonight such that if the transalpine win again against Sweden they will have 1st placed almost secured and will take it easy a bit (at least mentally) against you.
    Told you after the Sweden game :D.

Delighted for Ireland, for your country, for the fans. Seeing what it meant for you.

Now we'll meet in our next game. And we'll have to be a lot better to go through. Pressure's on us of course. A typical case of us having everything to lose in this game while you'll have everything to win.

The infamous 2009 play-off game will (already has) be(en) mentioned but I'd say it'll be more a thing for the fans and the press than for the players and the staff (can't see Roy Keane using it after what he said after this very game). How many were there anyway? Only a couple for us (Lloris, Sagna, Evra for the starters and Gignac, Sissoko, Mandanda for the bench).

Ah well... the darkest period (2007-2010) of French football. Domenech the clown, the marionette federation, the ridiculous politicians ("Uruguay will be a tough opponent after their great Euro" seriously it was said :rolleyes:!), the scum mentality players (not all fo them but a decent enough core to rot the fruit down to the core), the "war" with the press which triggered Knysna incident, etc... etc... a period any French football fan have tried to wipe out from its memory. And everything we learnt afterwards made it even worse (e.g. many informed people whithin the football circles knew about the mess to come but did not move a finger to claim the positions afterwards, starting with our current FFF mafioso president Noel Le Graet, nothing great about him at all).

Thanksfully, Blanc and to a greater extent Deschamps brought a different and better mentality and discipline to our team such that we can support it back fully and proudly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He's played against us a few times over the past few years and would probably have remembered four year's ago. I'd like to think he was just happy for us, and felt we'd earned it on the night. Ultimately us winning didn't hurt them.

It was a classy moment whatever he was thinking!

I was surprised he was dropped last night but thank god that he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

The infamous 2009 play-off game will (already has) be(en) mentioned but I'd say it'll be more a thing for the fans and the press than for the players and the staff (can't see Roy Keane using it after what he said after this very game). How many were there anyway? Only a couple for us (Lloris, Sagna, Evra for the starters and Gignac, Sissoko, Mandanda for the bench).

Similarly, Ireland don't have many players from that night either. That I can think of there would be only Shay Given, John O'Shea, Robbie Keane, Glenn Whelan and Aiden McGeady. Keane and Given will almost certainly not be starting, barring any training injuries between now and Sunday. It could very well be that none of them start as well. Obviously this is an episode that lives on in the collective memory of the Irish so even the players who weren't there will be aware of this 'ghost' that looms over the game.

Would it be wise to let this dictate the Irish mindset, though? I don't know. There's a lot to be said for passion but not if it causes you to abandon logic and pragmatism altogether. Last night I thought Ireland found a good balance but it has to be said that the Italian team were never going to be the kinds to hit them on the counter as Belgium did. Italy didn't create much, but they did threaten at times, especially with the shot that hit the post. Just shows how quickly a chance can be made. On another day it could go in.

It could be a 3-0 drubbing by France on Sunday. I'm not under any illusions about that. I hope it's not, though. I can accept that France will probably win, but it's important that Ireland can make a good display and stay in the game for a long time. Last thing we need at the finish is for calls of, "O'Neill out!" to go up because he won't be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So...how did the game go last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If Henry was playing, I think it would be much more of an issue for the players and for the fans, I don't really think the players (like the fans) have any issue with the French team or players and I don't think the players will have the mindset that they will be out for revenge/justice, during the start of the tournament I got the impression a lot of people wanted France to do well and wanted to see the likes of Payet and Pogba live up to their potential on the big stage.

siblers wrote: »

Well, Buffon is no spring chicken at the grand old age of 40. I know goalies tend to have longer careers but it still makes sense to rest his older bones in what Italy considered a game of reduced importance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Arghus wrote: »
    Absolutely gas how clearly delighted Buffon was that Ireland qualified.

For Buffons future job as head as UEFA

Hes just using this tournament to remind people hows hes a cool as mutha ****a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm sure it's been said a million times here, but i'm saying it again anyway.

The balls of Martin O'Neill. The f*ckin balls of him picking that team.

I'm still an emotional wreck today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

What do you reckon the story was between Gigi Buffon coming up to MON and Keane, looked like he really went of his way to and that they had a connection.

Presume Buffon and Keano would have met plenty of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

We've only won a small handful of games in major tournaments and last night was one. Absolutely delighted with the result. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

siblers wrote: »
    Buffon is on a yellow card for time wasting against Sweden and Chiellini picked one up against Belgium. It was odds on that both would be left out against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Ol' Donie wrote: »

The balls of Martin O'Neill. The f*ckin balls of him picking that team.

Balls like a Bengali tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

briany wrote: »
    Well, Buffon is no spring chicken at the grand old age of 40. I know goalies tend to have longer careers but it still makes sense to rest his older bones in what Italy considered a game of reduced importance.

He is 38 and looks after himself quite well. He is also planning on staying on until the World Cup.

He missed training in the days leading up to their Irish game due to illness so that may have played a part in the decision to rest him . I just hope he was over it, don't need him getting his germs all over Roy and Martin and giving them a dose :pac:

Sirigu isn't all that. Was a time Italy produced great keepers to the point that 5th choice would probably walk into most international sides in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Would it be wise to let this dictate the Irish mindset, though? I don't know. There's a lot to be said for passion but not if it causes you to abandon logic and pragmatism altogether.
    Yeah 100% agree on this.

And we already faced this in our History. Even if I was just born, I know and every French person following a tad sport knows about Sevilla 1982 and our infamous WC semi-final vs West Germany and Schumacher "assassination" of Battiston (he left the field in a coma, fortunately it was not too serious in the end). We eventually lost that game in the penalty shoot-out after being 3-1 up in the extra time (bloody Rumenigge who changed everything when he came in) and it was a huge shock in the country. It was also a huge pride to have played such a game against West Germany. L'Equipe titled "Fabulous!" Probably when we realised we could be a major country in football. Afterwards though, it triggered some crazy stupid hatred for the germans (some people even called it World War III :rolleyes:).
    Anyway, 4 years later we met again with West Germany in the WC semi-final and despite all the talks about "revenge" and the fact we were favourite with our "carré magique" in midfield (Fernandez-Tigana-Giresse-Platini) we lost 2-0 and could just cry and go home again... And Beckenbauer to claim "the problem with France is no matter how brilliant they are they don't know how to beat Germany" Whaaaaaat? Another declaration of war? :pac:...

And the worse feeling is for our glorious campaigns, there was always someone to beat Germany before we could finally avenge our glorious elders (Croatia in 1998, Italy in 2006).
    Even for the last WC in Brazil, 32 years after, this infamous game was recalled and debated. But we lost. Again. Pointless debate.

Even now, for "our" euro, again, everyone's talking about this hypothetical semi-final vs Germany... Let's just rather focus on beating you first. Though I'm absolutely convinced you're Deschamps' only focus!
    It could be a 3-0 drubbing by France on Sunday. I'm not under any illusions about that. I hope it's not, though. I can accept that France will probably win, but it's important that Ireland can make a good display and stay in the game for a long time.
    The start of the game will be the key. You'll have had a lot less time to recover from your last game than us (some of our players will have had 10 days or more!) but it could be an advantage since, first you're on a roll and second you should be fired up to have a strong start, with high intensity and pressure on the ball carrier. Because we'll probably lack a bit of pace after all this rest and this "friendly" game vs Switzerland and we'll need a bit of time to readapt and readjust to a high intensity game. After all, we've only played 3 such games in the last 2 years and had probably the easiest group to deal with.
    So, if you manage an early goal, we'll be in big struggle since we showed we did not cope very well with a regrouped defense and our own defense is our weakest point so you'll enjoy counter-attacking us.

Then if we start better and get an early goal, with confidence sky high, I think we should be able to control the game, tire you out and use our freshness and bench options to go through the game without major troubles.

Now, if it stays 0-0, the more the game will go, the better it'll be for you. 'Cause even if you eventuallu tire out, the pressure will fall on us.
    I remember our round of 16 game in 1998 in a very similar situation (long rest for us, achievement for our opponent) and we struggled big time vs Paraguay and only went through with a golden goal in extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can someone tell me who is showing the match on Sunday, just got the new RTE Guide and there is no Euro Matches listed on Sunday and into next week on RTE TV, TV3 come on the air for the 5pm match as does BBC, so where can we watch it surely RTE would be showing this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me who is showing the match on Sunday, just got the new RTE Guide and there is no Euro Matches listed on Sunday and into next week on RTE TV, TV3 come on the air for the 5pm match as does BBC, so where can we watch it surely RTE would be showing this match.

Rte will have it probably itv or bbc aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

sjb25 wrote: »
    Rte will have it probably itv or bbc aswell

ITV have it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Storm 10 wrote: »

It's on RTE2, confirmed. RTE Guide went to press days ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

...was the Mclean non-penalty a blessing in disguise?

Had Ireland scored then.. would it have spurred on the Italian team into scoring an equaliser??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Was Buffon an unused sub in Giants Stadium, the last time we beat Italy in a tournament?

Keane definitely played that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Was Buffon an unused sub in Giants Stadium, the last time we beat Italy in a tournament?

Keane definitely played that day.

He would have been 16 years old in 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ah yeah, it was the 98 World Cup he played in.

Forget that Buffon is still under 40.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Anyway, 4 years later we met again with West Germany in the WC semi-final and despite all the talks about "revenge" and the fact we were favourite with our "carré magique" in midfield (Fernandez-Tigana-Giresse-Platini) we lost 2-0 and could just cry and go home again...
    Ye were exhausted after that classic 1-1 draw v Brazil played in blinding heat, the highest quality match I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

philstar wrote: »
    ...was the Mclean non-penalty a blessing in disguise?

Had Ireland scored then.. would it have spurred on the Italian team into scoring an equaliser??

The goal couldn't have come at a better time.

If we'd scored, we'd have filled our pants, not known what to do next and probably blown it, to be honest. I don't know if it would have spurred on the Italians, because they weren't really too bothered. But I think if it came to Ireland having to defend a 1 nil lead, then we would have had a decent chance of succumbing to nerves and letting in a stupid goal.

No, I think the game needed to be won this way.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The goal couldn't have come at a better time.

If we'd scored, we'd have filled our pants, not known what to do next and probably blown it, to be honest. I don't know if it would have spurred on the Italians, because they weren't really too bothered. But I think if it came to Ireland having to defend a 1 nil lead, then we would have had a decent chance of succumbing to nerves and letting in a stupid goal.

No, I think the game needed to be won this way.

When have Ireland successfully defended a 1-0 lead from a goal scored earlier in the game vs. a decent team? There was Germany, but I don't know if you'd count that as it was scored in the 70th minute or so and Germany missed some absolute sitters that left you scratching your head. I fully agree that Ireland do best to score a winner in the last 10 minutes, but trying to score in the last 10 is also leaving it really late, your players are tired. You can't rely on dramatic, hail mary type moments near the death as a reliable tactic for winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Personally, I always regard it as semi-disastrous if we score early in a game.

Because - as sure as night follows day - we'll start retreating and retreating, trying to defend a goal, until - a great deal of the time - the opposition scores.

If Ireland score first, in the 20th minute of a match, I'd have close to zero confidence that we'll hold on. Whereas, if we're 0-0 with twenty minutes to go, I'd think that we still have a chance. Weird as it sounds, if on Sunday we are 1-0 up at half-time, I'd fear that more than being all level going into the second half: the script would be perfect for a heroic Irish moral victory.

The goal the last day was nerve-wracking but it came at the perfect time. There wasn't much opportunity for the jitters to set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

When have Ireland successfully defended a 1-0 lead from a goal scored earlier in the game vs. a decent team?

Ray Houghton Vs England - Euro 88.

Ray Houghton Vs Italy - WC 94.

I know the point you are trying to make, but why pose the question when its easily answered.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ray Houghton Vs England - Euro 88.

Ray Houghton Vs Italy - WC 94.

I know the point you are trying to make, but why pose the question when its easily answered.

The point I'm making is that it rarely happens, as proved here. Now, they've had the odd one in competitive play and a few more still in friendlies, but it feels like it will always be fixture of supporting Ireland that watching them defend a 1-0 is a white-knuckle ride.

Arghus wrote: »
    Personally, I always regard it as semi-disastrous if we score early in a game.

As do I, but I always feel like it's a horribly dysfunctional mindset.

"Oh, no! My team scored!"

It's almost like what a crack come-down is supposed to be like. You have that dizzying-but-fleeting high followed quickly by a comedown, with depression and anxiety setting in. The only solution is another hit, or another goal rather, but the goal dealer has usually left town for Ireland at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I feel like it really took root in my mind during the Trappatoni years. We seemed to get early goals in a lot of games, and then just plonk ourselves in our own half, waiting to concede.

Definitely, a dysfunctional mind-set: heaping more stress on myrself. I can't remember the last time I genuinely enjoyed an Ireland game.

It's almost like what a crack come-down is supposed to be like. You have that dizzying-but-fleeting high followed quickly by a comedown, with depression and anxiety setting in. The only solution is another hit, or another goal rather, but the goal dealer has usually left town for Ireland at that stage.

The flip side is that we have a great record of coming back from being 1-0 down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This is bringing back bad memories of the 06 WC qualification, where in nearly every single game we'd score within 5 minutes and always give away a last minute goal :mad:

This is bringing back bad memories of the 06 WC qualification, where in nearly every single game we'd score within 5 minutes and always give away a last minute goal :mad:

Only two games really and both against Israel. The away game in Tel Aviv was in the 89th min. We gave up a 2-0 lead in Dublin. Cost us qualification.

The worst one was the away game to Macedonia back in '99. I wouldn't mind, but Macedonia really weren't up to much and this was back when the team had Quinn, Kinsella, Robbie Keane, Dennis Irwin, Alan Kelly, Steve Staunton, Kenny Cunningham, Cascarino, Matt Holland. A team packed with names that went into the annals and still they couldn't get the job done. Sickening, sickening result I remember it being. A couple more minutes and automatic qualification was guaranteed. What happened instead was that they choked and were consigned to a miserable play-off with Turkey where they choked again and then as if the choking weren't bad enough, the team got their windpipes cleared and their clocks cleaned through some heavy handed 'patting' by Turkish police at the end of the 180 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Jesus that was painful alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The worst one was the away game to Macedonia back in '99. I wouldn't mind, but Macedonia really weren't up to much and this was back when the team had Quinn, Kinsella, Robbie Keane, Dennis Irwin, Alan Kelly, Steve Staunton, Kenny Cunningham, Cascarino, Matt Holland. A team packed with names that went into the annals and still they couldn't get the job done. Sickening, sickening result I remember it being. A couple more minutes and automatic qualification was guaranteed. What happened instead was that they choked and were consigned to a miserable play-off with Turkey where they choked again and then as if the choking weren't bad enough, the team got their windpipes cleared and their clocks cleaned through some heavy handed 'patting' by Turkish police at the end of the 180 minutes.

It was the orange tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It was the orange tops

white-and-gold-heres-our-18-photo-tribute-to-irelands-orange-and-green.png

That was France 1998, this is actually much later

Duff!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Orange tops was '97, the same night McAteer almost killed a man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Advertisement