Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty&Tax Invoice

Options
  • 22-06-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello! I was buying a phone from the USA, paying for delivery with fedex. After a few weeks when phone came I received a letter with a request to pay a Duty&Tax Invoice of more than 150€ It's seems to me unfair, because nobody didnt let me know about. Now if I doesnt pay they say that they will "take a futher action" to me. What do I do?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Theres a very long thread on this very topic here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

Yes, it may seem unfair, but tis the rules, and although not every delivery gets caught, yours did, and FedEx will pursue you for the monies unfortuately, they are acting as Duty & Tax collectors for the Government in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"I didnt know Cocaine was illegal Garda so can you let me off?"

Ignorance is no excuse unfortunately, you're 100% liable and Revenue are not an institution I'd trifle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spocker wrote: »
    Yes, it may seem unfair, but tis the rules,
    Has anybody got a link to the actual rules. I am not concerned about the VAT & duty, but the time limit and notification rules.

Fedex are the only ones I had this happen with. I think it is a sneaky method of getting their admin fees as I expect many people would refuse the delivery if they were told. It could be an unwanted gift or prize, or could wrongly be charged like a returned repaired item under warranty, the sender may have wrongly priced it. It if was refused on the day it might be easier to sort out.

ED E wrote: »
    Ignorance is no excuse unfortunately
    Fedex purposely keep the person ignorant though, this is why I wonder about time limits and wonder if they are obliged to make any indication at all. It would be a great way to land someone you hate in trouble, send them a bit of broken glass and declare it as a diamon worth thousands. 3 weeks later they get a bill for thousands.

Revenue are not an institution I'd trifle with.
    Is it revenue you are dealing with though? I imagine if you refuse to pay its fedex who are out of pocket, they have presumably already paid revenue on your behalf.

rubadub wrote: »
    Fedex purposely keep the person ignorant though, this is why I wonder about time limits and wonder if they are obliged to make any indication at all. It would be a great way to land someone you hate in trouble, send them a bit of broken glass and declare it as a diamon worth thousands. 3 weeks later they get a bill for thousands.

No no no. The courier didn't order the item nor create the tax. Its up to you to know your responsibilities when YOU import goods.

• Advertisement

No no no.
    With all those "no's" do you mean there is no time limit for notification?

What I mean is you're putting an onus on Fedex to tell you, they have none. You should know when you place the order. Same way if you order a shotgun mail order from the US(assuming somebody would send it) the Gardai won't bang on Fedex's door but yours.

Assuming Fedex pay on your behalf (not act as a tax agent, you could ask them to confirm this) then its like your electric company sending you a bill. I'm not aware of what the legal limit is there but it has to be at least 90 days which you'd fall well within.

So you are saying the limit is at least 90 days, I am still wondering where this comes from.

Your examples/analogies of cocaine and shotguns are utter fcuking nonsense, so I would be suspect of the other comments.

Advertisement