Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KIA Sorento 2.5L diesel. Good or bad?

• 22-06-2016 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

2005 KIA Sorento 2.5L Diesel automatic with 143,000 miles on the clock.

I'm looking to get something like this for work. What would these be like in terms of fuel economy? What is the reputation like for these models?

Any advice or input appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have one.Reliable as anything.Fairly frugal on diesel.
    Motor tax is heavy though.
    Mines a 2.5 auto.Owned it now for 3 years and its never give me a days trouble.

Just be careful of the rear shocks.They are nivomat and are 500 each.Theres a non nivomat replacement kit for them which is about 120 for new springs and shocks.

Other than that id highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I have one.Reliable as anything.Fairly frugal on diesel.
    Motor tax is heavy though.
    Mines a 2.5 auto.Owned it now for 3 years and its never give me a days trouble.

Just be careful of the rear shocks.They are nivomat and are 500 each.Theres a non nivomat replacement kit for them which is about 120 for new springs and shocks.

Other than that id highly recommend them.

Thanks a million. What's the tax? This one I'm looking at is a 2.5L diesel commercial. Are the tax on those types not cheap?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Danye wrote: »
    Thanks a million. What's the tax? This one I'm looking at is a 2.5L diesel commercial. Are the tax on those types not cheap?

Commercial tax is cheap..mines a passenger :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I had a 2004 manual, about 60k miles on it, if I ever have the money to afford the tax for it I'll be getting another one, was getting about 36mpg, plenty of room and never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

owned a 2004 GLS model (fully loaded) from 2008-2010 , put 60k miles on to it. Very nice machine, reliable , comfortable and still a proper 4x4, the auto box is smooth and the quality of interior materials is nice for a korean car. Would definitely recommend as they're quite cheap for what they are.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have a passanger one, auto. Have it two years. Only fault is the time clock looses time. It took me ages to fine one that wasn't fecked. All commercials I looked at were abused. Passanger, even with the extra tax was well worth it to get a clean example. Are you sure you will get commercial tax? It is hard to get these days.
    Take your time looking, send me a pm if you want advice. The auto is great, would find it hard to go back to manual and that is from someone who likes to drive.

Odelay wrote: »
    I have a passanger one, auto. Have it two years. Only fault is the time clock looses time. It took me ages to fine one that wasn't fecked. All commercials I looked at were abused. Passanger, even with the extra tax was well worth it to get a clean example. Are you sure you will get commercial tax? It is hard to get these days.
    Take your time looking, send me a pm if you want advice. The auto is great, would find it hard to go back to manual and that is from someone who likes to drive.

is that a 2006 model ? that was a recall and Kia will still honour it if you speak really nicely to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

is that a 2006 model ? that was a recall and Kia will still honour it if you speak really nicely to them.

Hmmmmm, must try them. Thanks for that!

BTW OP, it was after reading Eirc's recommendations that I bought mine. I even pm'd him looking to buy his, but he had it long sold by then.

Odelay wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, must try them. Thanks for that!

BTW OP, it was after reading Eirc's recommendations that I bought mine. I even pm'd him looking to buy his, but he had it long sold by then.

Ive gone over to the dark side since and bought a range rover, but Id still rate the sorento very highly. They've also aged really well.

OP Id give you the same advice as I gave the above poster before. Try find one thats had an easy life, and plenty of them in auto, with leather, climate etc… the price difference is little for a fully kitted one , so may aswell go all out.

• Advertisement

OP Id give you the same advice as I gave the above poster before. Try find one thats had an easy life, and plenty of them in auto, with leather, climate etc… the price difference is little for a fully kitted one , so may aswell go all out.

I agree.Mine is fully loaded.Full leather.electric heated seats etc.
    Paid 3000 for it 3 years ago.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I agree.Mine is fully loaded.Full leather.electric heated seats etc.
    Paid 3000 for it 3 years ago.

What year is yours Hellrazer?

Danye wrote: »
    What year is yours Hellrazer?

Its 2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have an 06 commercial xe auto which ill be selling soon as I need a passenger vehicle. It has about 150000 on the clock. Mechanically its perfect and just sailed through doe. Shocks, prop shaft all done. Its in good condition with few niggly superficial faults. Imported it from uk in 09 with 60000 miles on it.

fits wrote: »
    I have an 06 commercial xe auto which ill be selling soon as I need a passenger vehicle. It has about 150000 on the clock. Mechanically its perfect and just sailed through doe. Shocks, prop shaft all done. Its in good condition with few niggly superficial faults. Imported it from uk in 09 with 60000 miles on it.

I have my eye on one but if you want to PM me a few pics and how much your looking for it, work away.

Thanks.

Advertisement