Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro - Hard drive failing...

• 22-06-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

I have a MacBook pro (Early 2011 15") and just this week the hard drive decided to start failing on me. It's that bad I had to try an Internet Restore and eventually after a day of trying got into the Disk Utility app... which told me my disk was slowly going bye bye due to an unrepairable hardware issue. So I'm in the process of backing up anything I can via single user mode.

So I'm looking for a replacement. It's 5 years old so not looking to break the bank to get it back up and running. Somewhere around the 100 Euro mark is probably my limit, maybe a little higher if that's a bit tight!

Anyone got any recommendations? I have never replaced a hard drive in a MacBook pro before so I really haven't a clue what is and isn't supported. From a little research a possible replacement I found was the Seagate 1TB Momentus XT Hybrid SSHD. Found that Maplin sell it.

Or if anyone else has any experience on this front I would love to hear your advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure if Apple ever fixed it, but there was a firmware bug that affected 2011 MBPs, causing beach balling and bad performance with SATA III SSDs. You might want to check into that first and see if your model is affected. If not and/or the issue has been resolved, that drive should do fine.

Replacing the drive itself is fairly easy. Check out iFixit.com for a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm not sure if Apple ever fixed it, but there was a firmware bug that affected 2011 MBPs, causing beach balling and bad performance with SATA III SSDs. You might want to check into that first and see if your model is affected. If not and/or the issue has been resolved, that drive should do fine.

Replacing the drive itself is fairly easy. Check out iFixit.com for a guide.

Thanks for the word of warning. I was completely oblivious to that issue! A (very quick, admittedly) search brought up the following (http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/54083/is-there-a-way-to-tell-if-i-can-use-a-sata-iii-ssd-in-my-early-2011-mbp-15) which mentions it being fixed in this firmware update - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450?locale=en_US. But I really don't know if it actually does... What do you think?

If I was to err on the safe side, what drive would you recommend? And is there anywhere online that sells these bad boys?

Advertisement