Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to turn off ps4 safely?

Options
  • 22-06-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

Hi my son got a ps4 last week, he is saying I shouldn't be switching it off at the wall but I don't like it left on all night. What is the proper and safest way to turn it off without damaging it.

I googled it and saw a few methods but just want to check here also.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/basic/power.html
    Caution

Disconnect the AC power cord from the electrical outlet only when the power indicator is off. If you disconnect it while the power indicator is lit or blinking, data might be lost or corrupted, and you might damage your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Its turned off from a menu by holding the PS button on the controller isn't it.

I'd also let him know he's not to be leaving it on all night and he's to shut it off when he's not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well depends,if hes leaving it in rest mode dont pull the plug. Restmode is a standby mode that allows the console to download stuff in the background without technically be powered on. Its should not be unplugged while in this mode. An orange light on top of the console indicates when the console is in rest mode.

Make sure to use the 'turn console off' option when you hold the PS button on the controller. When the light strip on top of the console goes completely off you can remove the plug safely.

TL;DR
    Only unplug the console when the light strip on top is turned off. To do this press the PS button on the controller,select 'turn off console',wait till the light strip turns off then unplug the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well depends,if hes leaving it in rest mode dont pull the plug. Restmode is a standby mode that allows the console to download stuff in the background without technically be powered on. Its should not be unplugged while in this mode. An orange light on top of the console indicates when the console is in rest mode.

Make sure to use the 'turn console off' option when you hold the PS button on the controller. When the light strip on top of the console goes completely off you can remove the plug safely.

TL;DR
    Only unplug the console when the light strip on top is turned off. To do this press the PS button on the controller,select 'turn off console',wait till the light strip turns off then unplug the console.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Hit it a few slaps and it'll soon turn off.

Seriously though the PS4 warns you about not switching off power at wall so I'd be careful! Maybe just trust your son to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's a pain in the ass to be honest. I leave mine in rest mode and when I go to bed I have turn it on to turn it off.

Advertisement