Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did exposing my piercing at work cost me my job?

Options
  • 22-06-2016 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

So I have a nipple piercing for the past 10 years, just one of those things. I started a new job nearly six months ago and coming to end of by probation period. Thing is I was wearing a slim (not tight) fitting shirt during a meeting and my boss obviously saw the outline of the piercing and asked me about it in front of everyone. I was a bit dazed at the time and said nothing but I just opened the top two buttons of my shirt and showed it. This was received with silence, especially by my boss and some of the older men and women in the group. I remember the disgust in some faces. I am since getting indications that my contract will not be extended after my probation despite me getting good feedback previously. This turn of events seems to be resulting from me exposing my chest during the meeting but to be fair I think I was forced to. Should I make a case to HR, or should I just walk away? I don't see how I could really have offended anyone to the extent that my employment not be continued and feel that I'm being unfairly discriminated against. Have I a case here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Discrimination? No. There's 9 grounds under which an employer cannot discriminate under Irish law and having a piercing isn't one of them. You've very few employment rights while you're still on probation.

While you're employer was inappropriate in asking about the piercing during a meeting, I don't think exposing your chest when asked about it was the best move. Why not just say it's a piercing without showing it?

If you do get let go, chalk it up to a bad experience and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

This is something that you probably will get better answers for in the Work and Jobs forum. Having said that, I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on. You might have had if you weren't on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It was inappropriate of him to ask you about it but Jesus op what were you thinking getting it out and showing everyone!?
    Also you weren't forced to, nobody said open up your top there and show us. I could ask you what you had for breakfast this morning; this doesn't stipulate you regurgitating it back up to show me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Abetterman

anna080 wrote: »
    It was inappropriate of him to ask you about it but Jesus op what were you thinking getting it out and showing everyone!?
    Also you weren't forced to, nobody said open up your top there and show us. I could ask you what you had for breakfast this morning; this doesn't stipulate you regurgitating it back up to show me.

Oh I don't know. I was a bit dazed, but perhaps a bit of my wanted to shock him. He's a right prude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Abetterman

So I have a nipple piercing for the past 10 years, just one of those things. I started a new job nearly six months ago and coming to end of by probation period. Thing is I was wearing a slim (not tight) fitting shirt during a meeting and my boss obviously saw the outline of the piercing and asked me about it in front of everyone. I was a bit dazed at the time and said nothing but I just opened the top two buttons of my shirt and showed it. This was received with silence, especially by my boss and some of the older men and women in the group. I remember the disgust in some faces. I am since getting indications that my contract will not be extended after my probation despite me getting good feedback previously. This turn of events seems to be resulting from me exposing my chest during the meeting but to be fair I think I was forced to. Should I make a case to HR, or should I just walk away? I don't see how I could really have offended anyone to the extent that my employment not be continued and feel that I'm being unfairly discriminated against. Have I a case here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You've no case employment rights in terms of unfair dismissal don't kick in until you've been there a year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So you got your nipple out during a work meeting in front of your boss and a load of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Abetterman wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. I was a bit dazed, but perhaps a bit of my wanted to shock him. He's a right prude.

May I ask whether you are male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I mean yes, it's inappropriate to ask but in all seriousness: I'm cool with pretty much everything, I had piercings myself in the past and my arms are quite heavily tattooed. For work I usually covered them when there was the need to do it (boss didn't mind at all). But why would you expose your nipple piercing in a meeting? There is no excuse for that and even though his comment was unprofessional, your response was beyond unprofessional as well.
    You probably wouldn't stand a chance because they'll counter with something along the lines of inappropriate behavior.

Don't get me wrong: Boobs are amazing, I proudly wear a pair too. But for work, unless it is a requirement to expose yourself, the tiddies and buttocks stay in. Always. No exception.
    I don't wanna say your boss is right, because he isn't (wth was he thinking) but you didn't do yourself a favor with this. Sorry mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

It probably did tbh.

• Advertisement

I mean yes, it's inappropriate to ask but in all seriousness: I'm cool with pretty much everything, I had piercings myself in the past and my arms are quite heavily tattooed. For work I usually covered them when there was the need to do it (boss didn't mind at all). But why would you expose your nipple piercing in a meeting? There is no excuse for that and even though his comment was unprofessional, your response was beyond unprofessional as well.
    You probably wouldn't stand a chance because they'll counter with something along the lines of inappropriate behavior.

Don't get me wrong: Boobs are amazing (men and women), I proudly wear a pair too. But for work, unless it is a requirement to expose yourself, the tiddies and buttocks stay in. Always. No exception.
    I don't wanna say your boss is right, because he isn't (wth was he thinking) but you didn't do yourself a favor with this. Sorry mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You were "dazed" at work and decided that instead of answering a question about a piercing (which was none of their business) you'd just show your nipple to them?

Yup. That is what cost you your job I'd say.

From what you've said nobody forced you to expose your chest. You choosing to do so is bizarre to say the least.

What sort of reaction did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I'm presuming since the ops name is abetterman that he is male.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Surely a male?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The boss shouldn't have asked you that in front of everyone else. Or at all. Possibly a case for bullying there.

But then again you probably shouldn't have shown everyone the piercing either.

Not necessarily discrimination under the law even if it is a case of discrimination on behalf of the company management.

Wesser wrote: »
    I'm presuming since the ops name is abetterman that he is male.....

Just realized it, wanted to edit my post, double posted instead... I should probably go to bed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thing is I was wearing a slim (not tight) fitting shirt during a meeting and my boss obviously saw the outline of the piercing and asked me about it in front of everyone. I was a bit dazed at the time and said nothing but I just opened the top two buttons of my shirt and showed it. This was received with silence, especially by my boss and some of the older men and women in the group.
    Showing the piercing as opposed to telling them would be seen as unprofessional, especially if it was hidden in the first place.

If asked in future, just say it's a piercing. It's a conversation starter. Whipping it out unasked isn't recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just as well it wasn't a Prince Albert.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You've no case, your and your supervisors behaviour are both questionable tbh.

• Advertisement

I mean.. He probably asked out of pure interest brought on by the moment. I'd probably be the same, without any malice. It would be the same as being asked what my tattoo is by an employer. What I find very odd is the fact that you unbuttoned the shirt to show people. I mean, I'd have a similarly shocked face and it's not because I'm a prude, but because it's deeply unprofessional to do in a work environment.

What is your overall job performance like? Honestly though, I'd probably let someone go for doing that. Did you show them it in a sarky way? Your comment about wanting to cause a shock makes me think it was. This kind of attitude/behaviour is deeply undesirable.

Next time someone asks, just say, "oh, yea, I have a piercing" and just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

I mean, was there really any need to expose yourself like that?

That said, I don't see any grounds for fair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

"I am since getting indications"..etc

Could you elaborate on these indications?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Prohibition?

Do it once, it is a typo...

Twice or more in the same post? Probation is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You already have an open thread on this issue over in the Work & Jobs forum so I'm going to close this. You're clearly not at all au fait with the charter given your other abusive post so again, please go and have a read. Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving this thread to Work Problems and merging with duplicate thread.

@Odus fell down - please do not tell the OP to start another thread in a different forum, as we can end up with duplicate threads, and hence clean up work for the mods. Instead, please use the Report Post function to alert a mod that a thread needs moving.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just thinking I hope, the answer is male but yes OP are you male or female? I wouldn't say like it was the greatest thing to do either by him or by you. You should have said nothing and if he wanted to bring it up again talk in private... Also I would not think it is grounds to loose your job, depends what kinda of a stickler he is though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No you do not have a case, you have not been told that they are not keeping you on after probation this is just the conclusion you are coming to and using the nipple piercing as an excuse. TBH I would just wait and see if I was kept on or not, if your not going to be kept on then ask them why so you can improve yourself in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

think you might have had a case if you gone to HR to say you felt uncomfortable when he asked about it in front of everyone, but that horse probably bolted when you showed it to the room i'm afraid.

I saw in a previous post you acknowledged he was a prude so probably wasn't the best move given he was probably always gonna not find it a laugh. Been involved in a union in work for a while and to be honest with probation it can be hard to muster any sort of case really all the manger has to say is your not a right fit for the team etc and unless you have feedback from him formal as in in emails or writing it just descends in to he said she said and your contract wont be renewed anyway

think you might just have to swallow this one OP , Dust off the old CV and start job hunting , chalk it down as a lesson learned as in don't get your nipple out in a meeting in work in future :P

Advertisement