Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did exposing my piercing at work cost me my job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

Just like Janet Jackson at the superbowl 2004 this is another career destroying nip slip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Are you serious ?

You could have laughed it off.
    It could have been an inside button or something.

I hope it sorts itself out and you'll be OK.

Your probably a bit naive and didn't think before you did the superman rip off your shirt impersonation.

Were you drinking the night before or on the charlie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ignoring that you shouldn't have been asked if the first place.

Yes, your behaviour likely cost you your job. You need to learn som boundaries, your in a workplace not out for drinks with the lads.
    If I were your boss I'd be thinking that you might just as easily have done this in front of an important client and cost the company serious revenue.
    Actions that make you a potential liability will loose you a job or at least curtail your progress within a work environment.

Learn and move on.

You did it to your boss. That's the bit I can't get over. The very person that more or less decides whether your contract is renewed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

LirW wrote: »
    I mean yes, it's inappropriate to ask but in all seriousness: I'm cool with pretty much everything, I had piercings myself in the past and my arms are quite heavily tattooed. For work I usually covered them when there was the need to do it (boss didn't mind at all). But why would you expose your nipple piercing in a meeting? There is no excuse for that and even though his comment was unprofessional, your response was beyond unprofessional as well.
    You probably wouldn't stand a chance because they'll counter with something along the lines of inappropriate behavior.

Don't get me wrong: Boobs are amazing, I proudly wear a pair too. But for work, unless it is a requirement to expose yourself, the tiddies and buttocks stay in. Always. No exception.
    I don't wanna say your boss is right, because he isn't (wth was he thinking) but you didn't do yourself a favor with this. Sorry mate.

This really made me laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

How you handle an awkward situation has more impact on your continuing employment than anything you wear, I think that if your employer considered how you dressed inappropriate he would have had a private word or have had somebody speak to you on his behalf. Instead I recon he wanted to see how you would field such a question from a client.
    You don't say what business you are in but considering how you did handle the situation, if they do keep you on, don't be surprised if your future is in packing or the loading bay. There aren't many jobs that want a nipple exposer on the front line.
    Now why were you in a daze at work and does this happen often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op I think you are getting the reaction at work, and indeed on this forum, that you were looking for, to check the reaction of others to exposing your pierced nipple.

You did it to provoke a reaction from your "prude" boss and you probably were delighted with the silent/uncomfortable reaction, and I suspect you are not unhappy with the reaction here. It shouts that you are an exhibitionist who likes to watch how others react to awkward/inappropriate behaviour.

Given their reaction, I think you should start job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

OP if you want to keep your job - speak to your boss and apologise for your behavior. Assure him it won't happen again and was out of character (assuming it was out of character of course;). If a woman had done that - she would've been fired on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, what on earth were you thinking? You're as cracked as a brush! Neither of ye covered yerselfs in glory here - the boss certainly shouldn't have asked personal questions about your body at all, certainly not in front of an audience but jeez man, to open your shirt and put your nipple on display was beyond all. I'd say whether you're fired or not, that'll be a story doing the rounds at morning tea time for a few years to come.

I'd say your only hope of salvaging this situation is to arrange to meet your boss as soon as you can, apologise and promise that it such behaviour will not happen again.

To be honest the whole situation reminds me of this nugget of hilarity from Impractical Jokers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15AiEeKxg0

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

If you are a man, then exposing your nipple was not particularly inappropriate; even if you were a woman, dismissal is still wholly disproportionate.

We all have awkward situations and moments where we were a bit inept. They are part of life and people shouldn't have their lives ripped apart by dismissal for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Creol1 wrote: »
    If you are a man, then exposing your nipple was not particularly inappropriate; even if you were a woman, dismissal is still wholly disproportionate.

We all have awkward situations and moments where we were a bit inept. They are part of life and people shouldn't have their lives ripped apart by dismissal for doing so.

Exposing your nipple in a pub or a beach is not inappropriate, exposing it at a business meeting is, it's all about context.

His life isn't being ripped apart, he may be let go during his probationary period. It happens, probationary periods allow employers to assess new employees, including their bahaviour and decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Is anyone else picturing the scene really vividly?

In the middle of a meeting, possibly with some fairly senior people, boss says "what's that?" and without saying a word an employee starts unbuttoning his shirt, pulls it to one side and shows people his nipple (and piercing).

I've seen plenty of piercings in a variety of body parts, but if a colleague started undressing in the middle of a meeting room, the look on my face would probably be a bit odd too. I'd think he was having some kind of nervous breakdown, and definitely wouldn't be recommending keeping him beyond his probationary period.

Creol1 wrote: »

I would say it's completely fair.

1) He is in a probationary period. We don't know anything about how the rest of the period was or what his attitude was like. Gotta be honest, judging by what he said and did, it makes me think he had a bad one.

2) He exposed himself to his boss. We don't know what the boss said, it could have been as simple as, "what's that?". While their curiosity was slightly inappropriate, the fact is that the OP acted in an extraordinarily unprofessional and unbecoming fashion in the office, in front of his boss and likely other senior figures.

If I were that boss, the OP would have put me in a position where I had to let them go.

OP, next time when you're on probation, act as good as you can. It'll make it slightly more difficult to let you go past this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

We're not getting the full story. Did you lick your nipple during the meeting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Please keep answers constructive even if OPs post may have you question OPs claim. Please avoid any personal remarks and focus on the situation at hand as it has spawned a good discussion as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

OP, I have several piercings and tattoos and would never do that. In a professional environment, they're covered up and out of sight. It possibly did cost you your job, and I can't blame your boss, that's really unprofessional to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Any jobs going at your place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

only for boobie catchers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

Abetterman wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. I was a bit dazed, but perhaps a bit of my wanted to shock him. He's a right prude.

Your attitude here is not very becoming. A work environment is not the place to flaunt sexuality or openess or anything else. It's to work, unless in certain industries.

You wanted to shock him, you did, now there are consequences and unfortunately it may be your job. You could approach him and acknowledge your conduct was totally in appropriate, but I'd say your on the way out. Still being in your probationary period allows them to let you go .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Remember that scene in Jaws where they were down the cabin comparing scars and war stories.....

Was it like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you work in a waste disposal company? If so, the boss might have thought you were wearing a wire.

How do you think you were forced to do what you did?

As advised above, you should take the initiative and speak to your boss and apologise for what you now realise was inappropriate behaviour. At the very least, it might result in a better reference if you are let go.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Abetterman wrote: »
    feel that I'm being unfairly discriminated against

Exactly how do you think you have been "discriminated against"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

no discrimination, being pierced isnt like being black, or Muslim or pregnant or a traveller.

what you did was silly and you know it,

if you could elaborate on what your boss's wording was id be interested to know.

tip for the future, unless you work in a topless bar, dont show your nipples at work.

being male or female doesnt come into it, its inappropriate in a work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Male or female, I still kinda wanna see a picture.

I don't understand why you couldnt just say "It's a peircing".

If you are on probation then you don't have leg to stand on anyway. They will make up a reason if they need to "Incompatability" is the usual one you hear.
    Which is probably true, if your boss is a massive prude and you have no problem exposing your bare chest in the middle of a stuffy business meeting then you are in the wrong environment.

Have you considered the performing arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Exposing a piercing didn't cost you your job
    If it was on your tongue I doubt it would be met with the same reaction!
    But it was on your CHEST!
    You just don't do that!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 confusedguy1

Hi OP.

So any update on whether you survived probation? Or if not, what reason was given???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Hi OP.

So any update on whether you survived probation? Or if not, what reason was given???

The OP has since closed his account so we'll probably never know...

Advertisement