Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K TV for Xbox One S

Options
  • 23-06-2016 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey!

So I've put a deposit down on a 2TB Xbox One S in GameStop. Trading in my 1TB Xbone against it.

My reasoning is, when Project Scorpio is released, the value of an original Xbone will have totally plummeted, and the Xbone S will be worth more at trade in.

Anyways, it got me thinking...maybe it's time for a 4K TV.

So, "Game Modes" and lag are something I've come across having started looking into it.

Does anyone know what, on the spec of a 4K TV, would tell me what kind of lag there'd be?

What should I be looking for in a 4K TV?

Thanks in advance peeps

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure on the lag front, to be honest, but if you are going for a 4K TV now, then get one with HDR.

It might also be worth trying to find reviews that mention the built in upscaler, because if that's poor, everything hooked up to it that isn't 4K ready will look poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

HDMI 2.0/2.0a

A lot of TVs are only HDMI 1.4 which is only capable of 4k @ 30 fps.

Personally not going to get anything soon as I got stung with my first HD TV, it was freeview only and cost 2500. Going to wait until DTT standards are sorted for 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Ok cool, so "HDR" as opposed to just 4K and HDMI 2.0 for starters.

I'm actually not concerned at all about the Smart TV element...The Xbox will provide all that functionality.

Might I be better off looking into a HDR monitor? I might get a better spec for the same money?

I'm actually not concerned at all about the Smart TV element...The Xbox will provide all that functionality.

Might I be better off looking into a HDR monitor? I might get a better spec for the same money?

Really appreciate the help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Contact RicherSounds here on Boards and they will advise you best.

• Advertisement

WarpAsylum wrote: »

Really appreciate the help so far

I looked into 4k monitors a while ago, I game with a 27'' 1080p at the minute as my set up is dual monitor PC and xbox at a desk. Main reason I guess in looking was I like playing this way and size of panels. I don't like gaming on a sofa for long periods.

Anyway price wise 4k monitors ain't cheap 600-800 for a 27'' for a quality I'd be happy with. You would also need a TV box of some sort or Xbox USB TV tuner if using it TV.

For that price you are getting into 40+ inch TV territory albeit the lower end , so I won't be upgrading mine anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So I've put a deposit down on a 2TB Xbox One S in GameStop. Trading in my 1TB Xbone against it.

My reasoning is, when Project Scorpio is released, the value of an original Xbone will have totally plummeted, and the Xbone S will be worth more at trade in.

trying hard to see your logic here.
    you're paying €180 to trade up now, just to save what will definitely be less than €180 of a difference in trade in values between the two when the Scorpio comes out?

trying hard to see your logic here.
    you're paying €180 to trade up now, just to save what will definitely be less than €180 of a difference in trade in values between the two when the Scorpio comes out?

Only primarily. It just got me thinking that by the time the Scorpio is released, will anyone want on original Xbone...and I'll get to enjoy what the S offers in the meantime.
    Which is why I'm looking into a new display.

I looked into 4k monitors a while ago, I game with a 27'' 1080p at the minute as my set up is dual monitor PC and xbox at a desk. Main reason I guess in looking was I like playing this way and size of panels. I don't like gaming on a sofa for long periods.

Anyway price wise 4k monitors ain't cheap 600-800 for a 27'' for a quality I'd be happy with. You would also need a TV box of some sort or Xbox USB TV tuner if using it TV.

For that price you are getting into 40+ inch TV territory albeit the lower end , so I won't be upgrading mine anytime soon.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at spending when looking at 40" TVs. Then I was thinking a smaller monitor.

I watch zero television. None whatsoever. Netflix and download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/video-games/input-lag

This lists input lag on TV's. Notice the massive difference when you don't enable game mode. I'm surprised Sony TVs come in 3rd, I definitely remember a review about a year ago saying a Sony TV had 12ms lag. But I can't find the review.

Obviously there is more to the TV than lag, even when it's just for gaming. I'm not sure at what point Lag becomes a real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey!

Anyways, it got me thinking...maybe it's time for a 4K TV.

So, "Game Modes" and lag are something I've come across having started looking into it.

Does anyone know what, on the spec of a 4K TV, would tell me what kind of lag there'd be?

What should I be looking for in a 4K TV?

Thanks in advance peeps

Why not just hang on to your 1TB Console for now? In a years time we will have a much better idea on 4k Tv's and the Scorpio will be out then. Especially seeing as you have a fairly large Hard Drive on your console at the moment.

Personally would trade in the current ONe for a S, and then keep the S as a media player and second system.

Varik wrote: »
    Personally would trade in the current ONe for a S, and then keep the S as a media player and second system.
    There's that too.

Anyway, I might not even get the Scorpio on it's release, I can't know.

Just though the S would be the better to have in the long run, and that I'd take what I consider to be a reasonable deal , while it's going.

So, I reckon I'll go down the monitor route rather than a TV. Going to hold off for about 6 months though, see what's available then.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply

Sterling is at a 30 year low. Now is a good time to pick one up from a uk store. Richersounds are in N.I.

qrx wrote: »
    Sterling is at a 30 year low. Now is a good time to pick one up from a uk store. Richersounds are in N.I.

Euro isn't doing so well so either, and while it's a big drop from yesterday it's levelling off at around 0.80p (81 currently 79 earlier and higher before that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the point of the scorpio is to be more powerful than the ps4 ,
    to be powerful enough to run vr games .
    And to display 4k movies ,streaming 4k hdr tv, films.
    i think devs will be aiming at maybe 1080p 60 frames per second games .
    eg it makes no sense to make games run in 4k, most people do not have 4k
    tvs .
    Companys are hoping people buy vr games and 4k movies ,
    it takes a powerful console to run vr games .
    The current console would not be fast enough for vr games .
    The s console will be able to output hdr 4k video.
    Even if i was rich i see no point in buying a 4k tv,right now
    unless its the same price as a 1080p tv.

XBOX ONE S FAQ

Does it support 4K? Yes, for video and Blu-ray, but not games.

Is it more powerful? Yes, a slight boost to processing power over the Xbox One to accommodate HDR gaming.

Is a controller included? Yes, contrary to early reports, one is included in the price.

Note: We're continuing to update this page with more details.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/xbox-one-s-vs-xbox-one#1yZLqG77ZLlchI8Q.99

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Remember decent brand 4K TVs have built in up scalers.

I've already seen a standard Xbox One running on a 4K TV and it looks amazing. You notice a lot of detail that you wouldn't have noticed before.

Also no input lag with game mode turned on (Samsung)

I wouldn't spend money on the Xbox One S unless you are looking an UHD player.

I,ll be buying an xbox one, in a few months .
    i,m very happy to run games at 1080p or less .
    I think its very early to say if games will look better on a 4k tv,
    versus a 1080p tv on xbox 1.
    I have 20 games to play on my xbox 360 ,
    and theres alot of games i want to buy .
    I mainly play fps games .
    I understand games can run on the xbox 1 in compatibity mode .
    People play console games on tvs and sit maybe 5 ft away .
    eg its not like playing a game on a pc monitor where you can see every
    minor detail.

quote from another website.

#2 Posted by Megavideogamer - 1 year, 10 months ago
    If you really want a 4K Television then get one. $2500-$3000 for a 4K television makes sense if you really watch a lot of Movies or Sports. But right now most television networks don't broadcast in 4K resolutions. So Hi definition Movies might have to do.

Currently Playstation 4 and Xbox one do not support 4K resolutions either. But it couldn't hurt to have a 4K 60-70 inch screen size. But you would have to watch a lot of Television to justify the purchase. So yes if you have $2500-$3000 to spend on a 4K television then go for it. But Gaming on the PS4 and Xbox one don't expect 4K support anytime soon. Eventually a software update could be issued to make the 8th generation systems compatible with 4K television resolutions.

If your a Movie bluff or sports fan go for it. But for gaming a regular 1080p/1080i 60-70 inch HDTV will do. Even in 2014 not many games output in 1080p. So 4K support in videogames is currently zero. Maybe when Playstation 5 and Xbox 4 arrive. 4K resolutions will be mainstream.

All the games on xbox 1 look fine too me,
    as regards graphic and level of detail .
    From looking at video reviews on ign, youtube etc
    Read a review before buying a tv, does it have a game mode ,whats the input lag on it. .http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/video-games/input-lag

i don,t expect any game to be released on consoles in the next 3 years
    That is in 4k format,
    i expect we,ll see 1080p games on the new ps4 and xbox 1 scorpio .
    if you are a big movie fan there,ll be films released in 4k hdr format,
    but you,ll need to buy a hd blue ray drive to play them.

Right now many games on the ps4 or the xbox 1 are not in full 1080p mode .

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

or some games run at 1080p at 30 frames per second .

Since most people have 1080p tvs ,it would be a waste of time for
    devs to start making all games in 4k .

Remember decent brand 4K TVs have built in up scalers.

I've already seen a standard Xbox One running on a 4K TV and it looks amazing. You notice a lot of detail that you wouldn't have noticed before.

Also no input lag with game mode turned on (Samsung)

I wouldn't spend money on the Xbox One S unless you are looking an UHD player.
    Xbox One S will give better performance in order to cater for HDR. It's also logical to assume there will be a performance increase in non HDR games. It's not as if the developer will specifically code for the Xbox S not to use all it's hardware power.

So if you have a HDR TV (lucky you because they are expensive!), then the S will give you better graphics. Thing is it needs to be coded for, so far only Gears 4 and Horizon 3 I think will have HDR gaming.

But it is about to become the norm, as it will be the norm on Scorpio. So there you have 2 major games, already the original Xbox One is lagging graphically.

Xbox One S will give better performance in order to cater for HDR. It's also logical to assume there will be a performance increase in non HDR games. It's not as if the developer will specifically code for the Xbox S not to use all it's hardware power.

So if you have a HDR TV (lucky you because they are expensive!), then the S will give you better graphics. Thing is it needs to be coded for, so far only Gears 4 and Horizon 3 I think will have HDR gaming.

But it is about to become the norm, as it will be the norm on Scorpio. So there you have 2 major games, already the original Xbox One is lagging graphically.

With what I've seen so far I'd recommend Xbox One owners stick with the original console until Scorpio.

I'd have no problem recommending a 4K TV from a good brand like Samsung.

I wouldn't expect the One S to be improving gaming performance it's only using HDR and an upscaler which many 4K TVs have due to so much 1080p content out there.

I'd only recommend buying if people are looking for a UHD bluray player or if someone is completely new to Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Buttros

I have one of these which I bought recently (About half the price reviewed here at 55 inches)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/tvs/1404144/lg-ef950v-4k-tv-review-65ef950v

For me there was a huge difference in the picture quality from my old Philips 42 inch LED. Im not sure if its due to the OLED Panel or Simply the inbuilt upscaler (probably both). The few video clips ive managed to Download in HDR look great too. So I do think a 4k tv makes the current Xbox one look better. The HDR is a nice touch from MSFT in my opinion. However I don't see myself upgrading to the Xbox S for the HDR gaming and access to UHD Blu Rays... maybe I will upgrade to Scorpio after it comes out....

If buying a 4K tv what I did was wait until this years models were been unrolled and bought one of last years ones and about 50% off (This years have 10bit Bit HDR Processors or something whereas mine is 8Bit..... not sure how significant that is). That was in April. You can always hold off but if your are planning on buying I would certainly recommend been patient are there are always good deals at all price levels. Im happy with what I got anyway.

I wouldn't expect the One S to be improving gaming performance it's only using HDR and an upscaler which many 4K TVs have due to so much 1080p content out there.
    Xbox One S will ouput in 4K without any performance hit. Leaving your TV to upscale will introduce latency. Will it even be possible when your TV is set to Gaming mode? When not in gaming mode my TV goes from 20-something latency to I think 140ms.

It's not a case of ah it's only added HDR and upscaling. It has achieved this by adding a new CPU and GPU with better performance. It's not going to be throttled or switched off for non HDR games. you'll see better framerates as a result.

It's not a huge difference granted and I won't be upgrading myself because I'm waiting for 4K HDR TVs that meet Blu-Ray 4K specs to be affordable, which I think will be early or mid 2018.

But if I only paid €300ish for my xbox one I might consider a trade in for the S, that would keep me happy for when I eventually get a 4K tv and then maybe wait for the first or second price drop on the Scorpio. you're going to be waiting a while for Scorpio made games to become common place anyway.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/13/11927732/xbox-one-s-performance-gears-4

But if I only paid €300ish for my xbox one I might consider a trade in for the S, that would keep me happy for when I eventually get a 4K tv and then maybe wait for the first or second price drop on the Scorpio. you're going to be waiting a while for Scorpio made games to become common place anyway.
    This is exactly the case for me. I paid €320 for mine and I have no idea if, or when, I'll get the Scorpio (I'm sure I will, but most likely not on release)....so I reckon the S will be a better box to have for the next 2-3 years.

Look on youtube at the e3 press conference microsoft,
    ms said All games will run on xbox 1 ,xbox scorpio ,xbox s
    Your xbox 1 is not redundant .
    Maybe some game devs will add in extra effects for hdr tv ,
    but all games will run ok on a 1080p hd tv.
    I read an article yesterday a dev said it makes no sense to make
    xbox 1 4k games as someone sitting 5 ft from a tv, cannot see the difference between 4k and 1080 p video at least when playing a game.
    Devs know 95 per cent of users have 1080 hd tvs,
    it would be crazy to make games that only look good on a 4k tv.

A game will probably play in 1080p mode on an xbox 1 and not show any hdr effects
    unless it detects it,s being used in a hdr console .
    i think people buy tvs once every 4 year on average,
    In 4 years time a 4k hdr tv might be alot cheaper than it is now .

Have sky or virgin media made any moves regards 4k? I don;t have either I'm a Saorview man :D

But really at this point you look how long it took to get full HD here it's unreal even with the Sky/UPC/VM they were very late to the party. I remember downloading 720p TV stuff from the US in 2003/4? Maybe earlier but point being I can't see there being 4k content enough to warrant a 4k display for 3-5 years here.

Up-scaling I have seen on a ps4/one and on movies and while it's quite obviously better it's not the worth what tv's cost at the moment and more importantly are speced at , a lot of whats out there even at the "upper end" lack HDR even. IMO it's really not the time to be buying in to this.

When you see genuine 4k content on a good 4k display you want to ditch your razor and shave with that instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

What's the difference betwenn 4K TV and Ultra HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

4K and UHD are essentially the same thing (4 times HD / 1080p resolution) and is fast becoming the norm for new TVs.

Newer TVs will also support HDR (High Dynamic Range), which essentially increases the range of colours that can be displayed on-screen, allowing for greater detail to be displayed.

The Xbox One S will include HDR support also, and any games programmed to include this (Gears 5, Forza Horizon 3) will have increased graphical fidelity over an existing Xbox One device.

If the game is not specifically programmed for this feature, the HDR will not make a difference.

Although, rumours are now coming out (via Twitter) that the Xbox One S will also Upscale existing games to 4K resolution. Most 4K TVs will do this as well, but if the console is built to do it, you will likely get a better refresh / response rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Although, rumours are now coming out (via Twitter) that the Xbox One S will also Upscale existing games to 4K resolution. Most 4K TVs will do this as well, but if the console is built to do it, you will likely get a better refresh / response rate.

Think it's pretty much confirmed this is the case

4xexLnv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Announced for August 2nd in select regions :(

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Announced for August 2nd in select regions :(

August 31st for us.

Correction. August 2nd for us.

Advertisement