Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K TV for Xbox One S

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

miralize wrote: »
    Announced for August 2nd in select regions :(

August 31st for us.
    I believe thats just the placeholder August date. Probably still that date but I wont be surprised if that changes

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Release date on GameStop.ie says 02/08/16

I'll be in the shop tomorrow, I'll ask then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

August 2nd confirmed release date for Ireland.

Yep, was in GameStop just there reserving a NES Classic Mini and it's the 2nd August...two weeks today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

IGN's Podcast Unlocked this week started with a pretty interesting discussion around 4K TV's and what you should know before buying one specifically for the Xbox One S or Scorpio.

Well worth a listen.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/07/21/unlocked-255-learning-about-4k-hdr-tvs

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Had a quick look at their website:
    LG wrote:
    Select LG’s 2016 4K televisions support HDR10, which we call HDR Pro, because they provide full compatibility with this new standard while also assuring outstanding LG picture quality.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Had a quick look at their website:

So would that be suitable CatInABox?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So would that be suitable CatInABox?

I don't have a 4K tv, and probably won't for a couple of years, but as far as I can tell, that TV should be good to go with Xbox One S.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't have a 4K tv, and probably won't for a couple of years, but as far as I can tell, that TV should be good to go with Xbox One S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wont be looking at a 4K display till the scorpio rolls around, but I'm leaning towards buying a gaming monitor when I do.

the question I'd have is whether or not I'd be wasting my time - a 32" display is as big as I'd want to go. I have a 50" plasma at the moment and its just that bit too big for the room. I'm going to move to a more traditional computer setup at the end of next year (as in a proper desk and chair)

I wont be looking at a 4K display till the scorpio rolls around, but I'm leaning towards buying a gaming monitor when I do.

the question I'd have is whether or not I'd be wasting my time - a 32" display is as big as I'd want to go. I have a 50" plasma at the moment and its just that bit too big for the room. I'm going to move to a more traditional computer setup at the end of next year (as in a proper desk and chair)

Weirdly enough, that set up is probably where you'd easily get the best out of it. With a gaming monitor, you're usually sitting about a meter away, so you're getting the most out of the resolution.

You can check out the optimal distances here

The same with curved monitors, sitting a meter away is the only time a curved display makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

looks like the 500gb and 1tb One S arrived Aug 23rd in the states, I wonder when it will land here

http://news.xbox.com/2016/07/26/xbox-one-s-options-this-august/?ocid=Bundles_soc_photo_learnmore_tw_null_xboxmark_Organic_7.26.1

The last few posts were exactly what I was looking for, really helpful!
    I'm on a bedroom set-up, so not much more than a metre from the screen.
    Thanks guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    The last few posts were exactly what I was looking for, really helpful!
    I'm on a bedroom set-up, so not much more than a metre from the screen.
    Thanks guys!!

I'm pretty much the same as you. A 32" monitor is probably the max I'd be willing to go for. Anything else would be overkill to me. I think I'll wait til the Scorpio rolls around because we'll have a better idea of 4K TV's and hopefully in January sales in 2018, models will be a bit cheaper.

Obviously the higher end pricing of current models would be expected to support whatever it is Scorpio has to offer but I think 18 months from now is when we'll know a hell of a lot more about 4K and technological advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Back in 2015 Sony had the best input lag. They lost out a bit to Samsung in 2016. Generally the high end Samsung stuff (7500 to 9000 series) now has the lowest input lag of all 4K TV's. Any other model I've seen is unacceptable for gaming.
    qrx wrote: »
    http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/video-games/input-lag

This lists input lag on TV's. Notice the massive difference when you don't enable game mode. I'm surprised Sony TVs come in 3rd, I definitely remember a review about a year ago saying a Sony TV had 12ms lag. But I can't find the review.

Obviously there is more to the TV than lag, even when it's just for gaming. I'm not sure at what point Lag becomes a real issue.

Advertisement