Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth living?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lasting31

Thanks for the details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Lasting31 wrote: »
    Hello just moved to Maynooth, could someone recommend a good doctor taking on new patients? I am pregnant so will be looking for the combined care service, female doctor preferable but open to male if good!

I'm with the Maynooth Medical Centre above the pharmacy. Not sure if they are taking on patients tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Nice spot available in Maynooth beside Dunnes across from the college. Saw a family sleeping soundly there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Nice spot available in Maynooth beside Dunnes across from the college. Saw a family sleeping soundly there tonight.

Yeah, saw that this morning. Mattress, sleeping bags and cardboard. Looks like more than one person.

With the Roma beggars on Main Street and now a homeless person/people laying claim to some real estate at one of its busiest junctions, Maynooth is really going downhill. Used to be quite a desirable place to live, now starting to look and feel a bit rough.

I'm sure Bernard Durkan will sort it out (when hell freezes over)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

1-2 roma men have been sleeping at the traffic lights for months on and off for the past few years. A roma couple may have been sleeping there also or in the field beside the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

washburn73 wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that this morning. Mattress, sleeping bags and cardboard. Looks like more than one person.

With the Roma beggars on Main Street and now a homeless person/people laying claim to some real estate at one of its busiest junctions, Maynooth is really going downhill. Used to be quite a desirable place to live, now starting to look and feel a bit rough.

I'm sure Bernard Durkan will sort it out (when hell freezes over)...

Or Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maria1234

L1011 wrote: »
    There's never been any particular hassle in the >20 years I'm here. There is another estate already under construction directly opposite it. Whether they'll plonk a massive logo over it on the aerial view like Limetree did is a different question!

The general issues with Maynooth are:

Traffic - its crap and will only get worse. The ringroad route is protected and sections of it will probably open within a few years but the most critical bit - the Dublin to Celbridge Roads - will take years.

Prices - it is a VERY expensive place to buy property due to Intel, college, schools etc. Most of the lower end properties are either student lets or only come on as probate sales. I wouldn't be able to afford to live here (with a dual income, younger end of tech industry wages household) except I bought a probate sale at the bottom of the crash. It was the second cheapest inhabitable house sold in the town during the period the price register covers!

Students - some estates are full of student lets. This can result in loud parties and generally extremely neglected houses. As landlords ran out of cash or whatever these have started getting sold off and nearly always end up becoming family homes again. Kingsbry, Meadowbrook, Cluain Aoibhinn and College Green would probably be the estates with the most - basically early 90s and earlier estates. There is large amounts of dedicated student housing built or planned that will help.

Hi.my partner and I are looking to buy and have seen a place in Meadowbrook Crescent.have you any advice on this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Maria1234 wrote: »
    Hi.my partner and I are looking to buy and have seen a place in Meadowbrook Crescent.have you any advice on this area?

I made an offer on a house one road over a few years back, like anywhere, it depends on the road and neighbours, I wouldn't rule it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Maria1234 wrote:

Meadowbrook would have a high student population. A lot of rented houses around there. Suss out the houses and their occupants on the road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Visit it at different times of the day.
    Talk to the neighbours, ask about break ins in the area.
    Your money will go alot further there then in most of Maynooth,they are nice houses too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I live in an estate across from Meadowbrook Crescent and from what I can see it's fine.
    I would definitely agree with Moonbeam about visiting at different times both day and night which is what we did before buying our own home. There are quite a lot of student houses in the general area but I haven't encountered any trouble.
    The most we get is a bit of noise around 11pm from the house behind us in college green. They come out jump in a taxi and head downtown and we don't hear anything else.  
    I actually previously rented in Parklands which wouldn't be known for student houses and had much more grief from students there than anywhere else I've lived in Maynooth so you never know.
    Your money will definitely go further buying in one of the older estates and the layout of the houses in Meadowbrook is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maria1234

thanks so much.that is really helpful and really eased my mind hearing from sometime living in the area.thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I don't know if this deserves it's own thread or not. With the imminent rail strikes coming, what are the options for commuting to Dublin? Recently moved and I'm only aware of train and dublin bus

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

evil_seed wrote: »
    I don't know if this deserves it's own thread or not. With the imminent rail strikes coming, what are the options for commuting to Dublin? Recently moved and I'm only aware of train and dublin bus

Dublin Bus 66 and 67.

Advertisement