Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Irish goal ever

• 23-06-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Eamon Dunphy talking about Robbie Brady's winner against Italy last night said it was the greatest Irish goal ever, better than Ray Houghton's winner against Italy because it was "pure" and had not relied on a defensive mistake for its execution.

Fair point but it got me thinking: what was the greatest ever goal scored by the Republic of Ireland side?

If I used Twitter I would probably start a hashtag #GreatestIrishGoalEver but I don't so I won't.

Clearly, a goal's importance to the fate of the side is a factor: Robbie's got us into the second round and we wouldn't have qualified without it, so there's that. But then the last goal that qualified us DIRECTLY for the next round of a major competition was Niall Quinn's effort against Holland in Italia 90. Important goal? Yes.
    Greatest goal ever? Do me a favour. An agricultural hoof forward, TWO defensive howlers and Niall Quinn tumbling onto the loose ball in a whirlwind of knees and elbows to deflect it home.

Have a look at it here, and just look at the expression on Ruud Gullit's face afterwards as he mutters the Dutch equivalent of "Oh for F**** Sake!!"

NOT the greatest Irish goal ever.

More likely candidates could include Shane Long's goal against Germany which saw us beat the World Champions. Certainly important and certainly a great shot but also a bit route one-ish to be truly great. Remind yourself of it
    here

Going back a few years there was John Aldridge's goal against Mexico in USA 94. Important because we wouldn't have made the second round without it. And it was a nice build up too. Remember it?

Ronnie Whelan's great volley against the Soviet Union was memorable, but then video replay showed that he hit it with his shin, not his foot and it ultimately was inconclusive because we didn't win the game and failed to qualify for the next stage. Go on, Treat Yourselves

Going way back to the 1980s, I have a particular soft spot for a Frank Stapleton goal against Spain in a Euro 84 qualifier at Lansdowne Road. We had been trailing 3-1 in the second half when Stapleton pulled one back from a free kick and then scored with this beauty. It started with a beautiful pin-point cross field pass from Mark Lawrenson (yes, the camp guy who does analysis for BBC. He used to play for Ireland you know!) right to the feet of Kevin O'Callaghan who beat two men and landed a pin point cross on Stapleton's head.

It tied the game and kept us alive but we failed to qualify because we eventually only won one point against Spain and none in our two matches against Holland.

It was still a peach though!

So what was the greatest Irish goal ever? In your opinion(s)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gary McKay v Bulgaria...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

For me it will always and forever be Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in the world cup 2002.
    I was 11 and only really getting into football. A moment like that just instantly made football the best thing in the world for me!

Route one
    Flick on
    Last minute
    Manager almost willing it into the net
    Underdog
    It was quintessential Ireland

Alan Mc Laughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Alan Mc Laughlin

I think it may be my earliest childhoods memory and it was such a quality strike aswell.

Glen Whelan scored a great goal a few years ago in some qualifier, can't remember who it was against though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think it may be my earliest childhoods memory and it was such a quality strike aswell.

Glen Whelan scored a great goal a few years ago in some qualifier, can't remember who it was against though.

Italy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You have to separate greatest in terms of importance and skill / technical brilliance.

Ronnie shinned that volley slightly but still say that's maybe the best one. Also bear in mind that Rinat Dasayev was arguably the best keeper in the world at that stage and it was a first time hit from a long throw that seemed to come behind Whelan... Shin or not a sexy assed goal..

I'd have McAteer vs Holland up there somwhere... great buildup play and a lovely finish. A quality Dutch side and we needed that result so in the context of it all important and a beauty...

Houghton vs Italy in Giants stadium has a particular place in my heart as I was at the game... behind the goal at the opposite end and just seeing it like slow motion dip over Pagliuca and the fans start to react at that end before it went in was some feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

scouttio wrote: »
    For me it will always and forever be Robbie Keane's goal against Germany in the world cup 2002.

For years I had that game on video tape (ask your dad what that means if you're too young) and would just play the last two minutes if I ever needed cheering up.
    Heart warming stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Mark Kennedy Vs Yugoslavia comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What about Alan mcgloughlin against Norn Iron for USA 94 quals? Pretty significant I think and a cracker.

We've had a couple of dead balls from Ian Harte a few years ago.

And we played Italy in a qualifier back in 09? We didn't qualify but I remember it was such a great strike. About 25 yards out. We drew with Italy that night

That is all

• Advertisement

Meh. Great player. Great finish. Great scalp to take. But it was only a friendly. Scores low on importance factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

scouttio wrote: »
    I was 11 and only really getting into football. A moment like that just instantly made football the best thing in the world for me!

Route one
    Flick on
    Last minute
    Manager almost willing it into the net
    Underdog
    It was quintessential Ireland

Was gonna be my shout, I loved that goal, I was 7 for 94 world Cup and vaguely remember the tournament. 2002 was incredible.

If talking about important qualifier goals I have to at least mentioning McAteer, one of my favourite goals aswell. https://youtu.be/o3FO8U2aZMk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Only going from memory but that immediately sprung to mind. Probably one of the best ever team performances also, Kennedy was a rare talent unforunately never fulfilled for one reason or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a nice goal. McAteer's here is very good too:

It's just a lovely move really.

This a good goal too - video misses Keane's neat pick up of the ball inside his own half. So he essentially carries it the full length of the pitch and bangs it in

You mean this one?

A cracker all right. But we still didn't qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You beat me to it Lloyd. Mc Ateer's goal against the Netherlands in 2001 has to be up there, very good team goal and a good finish by Jason too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

McAteers goal against the Netherlands in a 2-2 draw. Probably better in my memory than in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

I"ve a faint memory of a McAteer goal v Macedonia(i think), ball worked the length of pitch and cracking finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Gary McKay v Bulgaria...

Actually in terms of Irish football it is one of the most important ever and it was scored by a Scot playing for Scotland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd go with Robbie v. Germany, 2002. Not even for the goal so much, McCarthy's reaction was always priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

I know it was only a friendly but always loved Stauntons first Ireland goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Kevin Sheedy's equaliser against England in Italia 90, while not the best is certainly worth a mention.

Not only was it our first World Cup game, but it was the equaliser against the English who would go on to reach the semi finals (albeit with a handy run), and in a group with the European Champions. Certainly a big goal in Irish football history

for the crowd reaction alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭valoren

Does David O'Leary's penalty count?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

valoren wrote: »
    Does David O'Leary's penalty count?

for the crowd reaction alone

Ah the good old days of afternoon kick offs

Legging it from school for a "dentist appointment" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Matt Holland in 2002 against Cameroon was a quality strike. Precision over power.

Two of my favourites

I remember been shocked with Staunton's goal I couldnt believe that an Irish player scored from a free kick :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I seem to remember kevin doyle scored a great goal a few years back during a qualifying campaign, Also McGeadys winner in Georgia was a beauty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Strumms wrote: »
    I'd have McAteer vs Holland up there somwhere... great buildup play and a lovely finish. A quality Dutch side and we needed that result so in the context of it all important and a beauty...

This was a big goal for us at the time. Nobody expected us to beat them but.........

I was in slane that day and the place went mental when the goal was scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

yes. I agree that Robbie Brady's goal last night was absolutely terrific! Well done lads! For me though, I think my four favourite Irish goals would be as follows:

1. Ray Houghton's goal against england in Euro '88.
    2. Davie O'Leary's legendary goal against Romania in Italia '90 (How could you forget that one?!).
    3. Ray Houghton (Again!)'s Goal against Italy in USA '94.
    4. Robbie Brady's magnificent goal against Italy last night.

There's just too many more to name. Anyway, well done lads! Lets now go and get Le Blues now on Sunday.:)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Italy :D

yeah. Ireland v Italy in Croke Park in Oct. 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mark Kennedy against Yugoslavia in Lansdowne road, or mcateers against the dutch

https://youtu.be/-g2-ycPW0vU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Hopefully an offside Robbie Keane handball will be added to the list next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Wes' against Sweden in the first game was a cracker, lovely bit of play and ball over from Coleman, sweet finish.

corwill wrote: »
    Wes' against Sweden in the first game was a cracker, lovely bit of play and ball over from Coleman, sweet finish.

absolutely!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I seem to remember kevin doyle scored a great goal a few years back during a qualifying campaign,

Away to Slovakia, is that the one? We conceded a very late equaliser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

This one

a few of these have been against Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Alan McLoughlin's goal against Northern Ireland

Given the hostility in that stadium it was a tough tough match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great call there with that goal. Hadn't seen it in a few years, absolute cracker.

The one that'll always stay in my memory is Alan McLaughlin back in 93. I was only a small child at the time, but I know now about the tensions leading up to the match and during it.

That place must of been off the charts in terms of hostility. Add to that what was at stake, and add to that again with the quality of the finish - best Irish goal ever, in my view. There's some level of raw emotion in McLaughlin's face as he wheels away after scoring the goal.

"And Windsor Park has been stunned into silence"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

showing my age with this one....

famous win in the eoin hand era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Eamon Dunphy talking about Robbie Brady's winner against Italy last night said it was the greatest Irish goal ever, better than Ray Houghton's winner against Italy because it was "pure" and had not relied on a defensive mistake for its execution.

That's just not right. the keeper was hugely at fault.

Ah the good old days of afternoon kick offs

Legging it from school for a "dentist appointment" :D

Schoolboy section ticket for a fiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Schoolboy section ticket for a fiver

Let's all sit in the assembly hall while they wheel in the TV trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

1. Ray Houghton's goal against england in Euro '88.

I'm not sure if there really was a more famous goal than this.
    There were t-shirts and even songs about it ffs! 'Who put the ball in the English net! Ray did!' :D

It set the benchmark for hero-worship in a green jersey for my generation.
    Every goal since then has been compared to it in importance and scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would go for either Ronnie Whelan's goal in '88 or Alan McLoughlin's one in '93.

Speaking of Kevin Doyle though, I find his one against Andorra to be better than the Slovakia goal:

I love the swerve on the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement