Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering without physics

Options
  • 23-06-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,
    I was just wondering if it would be extremely difficult to do engineering without having done physics for my Leaving Cert? I just finished my leaving cert and I did English, Irish, maths, French, business, biology and chemistry all at hl. I'm currently looking at engineering in ucd and it appears to have a great deal of physics-based modules in first year but I do love maths and I would be willing to work extremely hard.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

Here's a thread from a few weeks ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99903330

It's going to be harder but doable. From what I hear applied maths is more useful for physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Runmrun

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Nope not any way more difficult. I was ****e at maths during the leaving cert (took lower) and had never done physics before but then went on and done a level 8 mechanical engineering course and have been working full time now for the past three years. Dont let it put you off

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Chemistry will definitely stand to you. Engineering is a very diverse discipline and there are a ton of Leaving Cert subjects you could have done to help you out. Of course, having a Physics background would have been beneficial but you should be able to get by without it. For example, I had Physics but not Chemistry going into college, and it was tough at first, but I got through it and you should be fine too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Runmrun

Thank you everyone:) I'm intending to do biomedical engineering and I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive because I think it's a risk but I'm willing to work hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I never did Physics for the leaving cert, I did biology.

Went for Mechanical Engineering and got an honours degree in the end.

I was worried too when I went in but it was fine, just a bit more work is needed in the first few months to just get your head around it but if you can do maths then you'll be fine, it's all really applied maths for engineering.

Advertisement