Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C licence medical report

• 23-06-2016 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

This morning I applied for my C licence learner permit and handed in my medical report as required

The girl behind the desk then tells me that when I pass my test I will have to get another medical report done to add the category to my licence

I'm sure she has got this wrong as anything on the NDLS site says you need medical for first learner permit in cat c

My current full B licence expires in November this year so not sure if this is playing a part

Do you need a medical to renew a cat c licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

big dar wrote: »
    This morning I applied for my C licence learner permit and handed in my medical report as required

The girl behind the desk then tells me that when I pass my test I will have to get another medical report done to add the category to my licence

I'm sure she has got this wrong as anything on the NDLS site says you need medical for first learner permit in cat c

My current full B licence expires in November this year so not sure if this is playing a part

Do you need a medical to renew a cat c licence ?

Nope. I got my D learner permit medical done before xmas last year and permit in January then got my C medical & permit in March went up last week to add the D category onto my full license with no medical to be told cant add the category on you need a medical so had to go to doctor monday and back to ndls on tuesday to get it added on. On my visit last week I asked the exact same about adding the C onto my license and was told the same as you and was told that id need another medical to add C+E onto full license when I get that. Even my doctor was stunned when i told him i was back for another driving license medical. His response was "but youve been here twice already in the last 6 months for a driving licsense medical"

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

So in order for you to get categories D C AND C+E once passed on your full licence you will have had 6 medicals
    That is absolute lunacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

big dar wrote: »
    So in order for you to get categories D C AND C+E once passed on your full licence you will have had 6 medicals
    That is absolute lunacy

could be 5 or 6 medicals by the time you get to C+E. Im not sure if the medial for the full C license will do for the C+E learner permit so
    That is absolute lunacy

Yep and then when you,ve got all those you then have to hand over 50 quid a year to sit in a room listening to some bloke prattle on about CPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Another cluster**k of privatisation years ago for about 18 months I went through full licence/ provisional licence as I moved up the different categories, My medical for the C provisional licence also done me for both the full C then provisional EC to full EC.
    Might want to check it out with the RSA or even look up the regs regarding medicals.

Another cluster**k of privatisation years ago for about 18 months I went through full licence/ provisional licence as I moved up the different categories, My medical for the C provisional licence also done me for both the full C then provisional EC to full EC.
    Might want to check it out with the RSA or even look up the regs regarding medicals.

Yes this is what I was led to understand that your medical for cat c first learner permit would do you up to your passed artic licence

The medical is supposed to be for group 2 licences Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you go for categories C, then CE (which will give you all 4 truck categories and also BE) you will need 3 medical reports in total (assuming you wish to be progressive about things). ie for the C permit; to add the full C categories to your licence and to add the full CE category to your licence.

Basically, you'll need a medical report when you get your first permit and every time you add categories to your full licence thereafter. The important thing about medical report is the length of cover of their duration. For group 2 categories, you can have a maximum of five years due to the maximum duration a doctor can certify you fit.

If you Get the C permit, you need a medical report and if you're like most drivers, your doctor will sign you off for the full 5 years. If you go on to pass the test after 1 year, you need a fresh medical to ensure you're covered for the maximum possible duration of 5 years. If you apply immediately for the CE permit, you now have a medical report on file for greater than the learner permit duration so you won't need another. If you pass your CE test after a year, you will need another fresh medical report to ensure you have the 5 year maximum duration.

Every time you add new categories (such as cat A) to a full licence containing group 2 categories, you will need to provide a fresh medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

That's the reason when renewing my licence before this shower took over the work I got myself the 10 year paper one :D ,I wonder what their reasoning is for someone to have a new medical for each category they obtain ?

What I was told was when test is passed regardless of when I pass it be it 6 weeks from now or 1 year I need a fresh medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That's the reason when renewing my licence before this shower took over the work I got myself the 10 year paper one :D ,I wonder what their reasoning is for someone to have a new medical for each category they obtain ?

EU harmonisation is my guess. I don't think it's that much harm to have truck drivers take a medical every half decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Vologda69

When you add a new Group 2 category to a full licence, the licence is replaced but it is also renewed out for the full period ie 10 years for the car and 5 years for the truck. Hence the medical presented when getting the permit will cover at least two x 2 year permits, but will not cover the full licence when you pass the test and want to add the group 2 category. So even if you were in a few month s previously to get a first truck or bus permit and presented a medical, a new one will be required to cover the full 5 years on the new licence. Group 2 medicals prior to 2013 were for 10 years. And three year full licences were done away with (other than for over 70s or drivers with medical conditions) in 2013 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

My other half just had to get his second medicAl within 3 months. One for the learner permit and one for the full. And when he gets his full attic he'll have to get another medical done. So thats 3 meficals in 1 year.

Advertisement