Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reverse gear is stiff.

• 23-06-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ,

I bought my car over a year ago it's a Toyota auris 08
    Since I've bought it i realised everytime.e I put it in reverse it feels very very stiff sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 times to put it in reverse successfully.
    Today while reversing it actually popped out into neutral. Maybe I didn't have it in all the way but I didn't hear any gear grinding.

All the other gears are fine and smooth changing. Do I need a whole new gear box or is this a different problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it any easier to do after the car has warmed up or say after a long journey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Is it any easier to do after the car has warmed up or say after a long journey?

Nope, its weird.

Sometimes it goes into place perfectly, then others it could take me 2-3 times and I'd have to force it into reverse like aggressively.

then today while i was reversing, I stopped for about half a second/second just to check a mirror, then pop it went out of place, I didnt even notice it pop out until I tried to carry on reversing but all I was getting was revs from the engine :pac:

But no matter how long or little I drive for, it seems to always be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I had this problem on an old car I had (not a toyota) but it was when trying to engage first gear. It would only happen once every 10 times or so trying to engage 1st. Apparently it could be fixed if an 'input shaft spline' is cleaned and lubed but this involves taking the clutch or transmission out to access it. Instead I lived with it. To engage the gear you had to engage some other gear first (2nd was easiest) before trying to re-engage the problem one. And I forget if simply releasing the clutch and pressing it again also allowed the gear to engage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd suspect that your clutch is not releasing fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Since reverse is not used as much as the forward gears, I would first check the gearshift linkage. It's possible all it needs is a good clean and lubrication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement