Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton House Trail Run 28.07.16

• 23-06-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

I just saw this advertised, a 6k trail run in Carton House on Thurs 28th July @ 8pm, is this a new race or has anyone done it before? Just wondering what the route is like. Carton House is lovely so it should be a nice run :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Not sure what the route is yet. It's a new race organised by Dunboyne AC...here's a link to the registration page.
    Carton-Trail-Run-Flyer-722x1024.jpg?32c843

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TommyGrealy

Going on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/cartontrailrace - they had initially organised it for september last year but it didnt happen for some reason. Now it's scheduled for 28th July. I put a post on their FB page asking about the route, not sure if I'll get a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would imagine its on the 6.5km route walking trail on the grounds. See link below.

http://www.cartonhouse.com/files/hotel/downloads/CH-walking-brochure-v10.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Going on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/cartontrailrace - they had initially organised it for september last year but it didnt happen for some reason. Now it's scheduled for 28th July. I put a post on their FB page asking about the route, not sure if I'll get a reply.
    chris85 wrote: »
    I would imagine its on the 6.5km route walking trail on the grounds. See link below.

We'll try and get the route up here in the next day or two guys.

Course Map as promised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Lo_La

Firedance wrote: »
    Course Map as promised

Thanks looks great looking forward to it!

Thanks for that Firedance

chris85 wrote: »

You were correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Hi Tommy
    That darn visitor post box on the side of the Facebook page has caught me out again - I get an alert when people comment on our posts but not when people make 'visitor posts' on the page so apologies for that! :rolleyes:

I see Firedance has posted the map - thanks FD!

Any other questions, give me a shout - I'll be keeping a closer eye on that side panel from now on ;)

Hi! Thanks for that. I just went out to try out the route there (see my track here ) and got a bit lost at the part which is called the "river meadow" on the map. There didnt seem to be a trail along the river bank at that part as suggested by the map. So I cut across the meadow of long grass to another trail through the woods but that was wrong too!. The yellow arrows that mark out the walking trail are helpful up until that point. Might try again next week.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Hi Tommy
    That darn visitor post box on the side of the Facebook page has caught me out again - I get an alert when people comment on our posts but not when people make 'visitor posts' on the page so apologies for that! :rolleyes:

I see Firedance has posted the map - thanks FD!

Any other questions, give me a shout - I'll be keeping a closer eye on that side panel from now on ;)

• Advertisement

Hi! Thanks for that. I just went out to try out the route there (see my track here ) and got a bit lost at the part which is called the "river meadow" on the map. There didnt seem to be a trail along the river bank at that part as suggested by the map. So I cut across the meadow of long grass to another trail through the woods but that was wrong too!. The yellow arrows that mark out the walking trail are helpful up until that point. Might try again next week.

Can't believe you've just been out to run it! (Lucky you, lovely day for a lunchtime trail run).
    OK, so I can tell you there will be a trail there on the day! And in the meantime I will pass your message along to the person who is in charge of the trail so he's aware of that confusion point on the course.
    Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Hey Mulbz, I see on Athletics Ireland they are fixturing this in their Runzone as a 5k, but everyone from Baltimore to Bethlehem knows its a 6k dont we?........

On the upside though, this race is the ONLY one with a link to 'online entry' from the AI site, so kudos where its due...........

JMSE wrote: »
    Hey Mulbz, I see on Athletics Ireland they are fixturing this in their Runzone as a 5k, but everyone from Baltimore to Bethlehem knows its a 6k dont we?........

On the upside though, this race is the ONLY one with a link to 'online entry' from the AI site, so kudos where its due...........

Well spotted JMSE, I've asked them to change it as yes, it is indeed 6K.

Looking forward to this, my first race since March (even tho I won't strictly be racing...!) Promises to be a great evening regardless :)

Signed up myself....really looking forward to it

Gentle reminder that this is on this evening...

fletch wrote: »
    Gentle reminder that this is on this evening...

I'm in

I'm in

race ya :pac:

You sign up here until midday today, or you can register at Carton this evening

Carton is that place between Leixlip and maynooth?? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Carton is that place between Leixlip and maynooth?? ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    Yeh it's here

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Anybody an idea if there is a bag drop area tonight and also where do we collect our numbers? Thanks

I'm not 100% certain but looking at the map the start/finish area is beside the car park so I'd imagine number collection will be right there too. I doubt there's a bag drop but hopefully we won't be to far from our cars at the finish - hope the rain stays away now!

I just checked with the organisers and as Firedance said, number collection will be at a tent near the start finish line (beside the bridge across the river).
    I wouldn't really expect a bag drop but I'm sure you could leave some stuff with a supporter. It's a fairly safe location so I can't see a bag of dry gear up against a tree going missing either

Thanks for the replies - looking forward to it now should be fun my first trail race. Any ideas if headphones are a no go?

gman127 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - looking forward to it now should be fun my first trail race. Any ideas if headphones are a no go?
    I don't think they're specifically not allowed but why would you....it's only 6ks so will be over quickly, some of the paths are narrow so you would need to be able to hear if someone is coming up behind you to pass you...and why not just enjoy the atmosphere and scenery instead

I am just use to running with headphones so wanted to check if they were allowed or not - and its 'only 6k' to some people - 6k is a good distance to others! Anyway thanks for the reply

I am just use to running with headphones so wanted to check if they were allowed or not - and its 'only 6k' to some people - 6k is a good distance to others! Anyway thanks for the reply
    Ha sorry if that came across wrong/elitist, that wasn't my intention(and I'm certainly not an elite ha)...I actually tend to use earphones while out training on my own but for some reason on a trail run, I wouldn't even consider using them. Anyway, best of luck this evening, its a lovely route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Might be golfers out shouting 'four' also so you may not hear them, then again I'd say the course is off limits to golfers while the race is taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I had a run during the week on half of the race route and back. It is very narrow, its not great underfoot, so I'd imagine it will be very difficult to choose good ground with a lot of other runners let alone avoid the intermittent dog ****s but it is a trail run after all . As for headphones, I never run without them but this could be the time I turn the music down low because of the nature of the route. And as for golfers, it would need to be a really terrible shot to be a danger to anyone on the majority of the route. Happy trailblazing.

Advertisement