Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting insurance who has what.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

garrettod wrote:
    I can fully appreciate clubs not wanting to be overrun with newbies, but equally there are significant benefits to bringing in new blood every year - more funds, new ideas, most will be willing to help out a bit etc.

You have to be in the parish or have links to the parish.

If your not from the area your goosed

The hardest for newbies is to get someone to propose and second you in an area where you know no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

You have to be in the parish or have links to the parish.

If your not from the area your goosed

The hardest for newbies is to get someone to propose and second you in an area where you know no one.

If you look at the NARGC sample constitution for a club you will find the following

3. Qualification for Membership:
    a. Membership shall be confined to persons either currently residing or previously resident in the area covered by the
    Club, or drawing their livelihood mainly from within that area.

As this is effectively a directive coming from the top it represents a classic example of shooting oneself in the foot in terms of increasing membership. (Pun intended).

Clubs may feel either feel bound by this condition or be using it to "conserve" their own shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

So should rural NARGC clubs open their membership to lads from the big smoke so they have somewhere to shoot game even though they'd have no connection to the area/s?.................I think that was mooted and shot down previously :) I am in a NARGC club BUT all my permissions I got myself & I make sure I keep 'em by treating the landowners properly. Some think they have a right to everything just because they want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

So should rural NARGC clubs open their membership to lads from the big smoke so they have somewhere to shoot game even though they'd have no connection to the area/s?.................I think that was mooted and shot down previously I am in a NARGC club BUT all my permissions I got myself & I make sure I keep 'em by treating the landowners properly. Some think they have a right to everything just because they want it.

All depends I know non rural lads in our club who come down for a shot over weekends and no hassle, but you also hear of the bad ones. Depends on your club really, some clubs have a condition of probation where the proposer is responsible for any messing......as for own permissions I know that even though I'm in a couple of clubs, I only tend to shoot the same areas where I personally know the farmer so I think that's common. I'd even go as far as to say it's common practice to stick to ones patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

It's not always the clubs, we give a list of club members to landowners. They are the ones who query us on individuals and if they are from the parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    If you look at the NARGC sample constitution for a club you will find the following

3. Qualification for Membership:
    a. Membership shall be confined to persons either currently residing or previously resident in the area covered by the
    Club, or drawing their livelihood mainly from within that area.

As this is effectively a directive coming from the top it represents a classic example of shooting oneself in the foot in terms of increasing membership. (Pun intended).

Clubs may feel either feel bound by this condition or be using it to "conserve" their own shooting.

Its a sample, clubs may amend as they see fit, it is not a directive from the top.
    The club is an autonomous body free to set its own rules and regulations and admit whom they like.
    That does not stop us from encouraging our clubs or other clubs from taking in members from outside areas.
    that said I take you point lets see if that line cant be amended in near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

So should rural NARGC clubs open their membership to lads from the big smoke so they have somewhere to shoot game even though they'd have no connection to the area/s?.....

Sure, why not ?

Don't people from the country want to come to Dublin and use the city for things not available in their local parish ? :)

Putting the age old riverly aside for a moment, there's plenty of good can come from having "outsiders" joining - more income to help fund the club, more people available to do a bit of work (be it fixing pens, helping on committee etc) and odds are, while those from outside the parish will pay the same fees (and probably a joining fee), they won't be down shooting the land half as much as the locals.

Is it a case of purposely blocking non locals from joining and perhaps by extension, the sport (given they may not get licences without being in a hunting club) ? .. I would have hoped everyone would be willing to work together to try and grow our sport.
    I am in a NARGC club BUT all my permissions I got myself & I make sure I keep 'em by treating the landowners properly....

I suspect you will find thats the way every self respecting shooter goes about it, doesn't matter where they come from etc. Sadly, I do appreciate that there are a few a$$holes walking among us however. Different issue to club membership, in fairness :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you can be. As far as I know the only available cover in this country for shooting comes from either the NARGC, the IFA or the CAI.

Country Sports Ireland are now offering insurance. Offices in Mayo and Derry.
    They currently have an introductory offer for new membership.

Advertisement