Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving without insurance disc

• 23-06-2016 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

I've paid my insurance deposit and due to some clerical error they haven't sent out the paper work. My insurance disc is now expired but I am assured by the company I took out the new policy with I'm covered.

If I'm stopped will I be in trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Xcellor wrote: »
    I've paid my insurance deposit and due to some clerical error they haven't sent out the paper work. My insurance disc is now expired but I am assured by the company I took out the new policy with I'm covered.

Legally you don't need to display a disc for the first 10 days of a new policy, after 10 days you do and legislation dosn't allow for clerical errors, but generally once you show proof of insurance within 10 days of being stopped your OK as very rarely do the Gardaí do people for non display, they usually go down the uninsured route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ask them to email you a letter confirming cover or a scanned copy of the cert/disc so you can print that out and carry it with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What do you mean by a 'deposit'? Are you waiting for loan approval because you've asked to pay monthly?

If you have an e-mail confirmation of your renewal, print it off and have a copy with you if you're stopped but if you are, then in all probability you'll be given 10 days to produce a valid cert and if you can manage that, you shouldn't hear any more about it.

In the meantime, do not park on a public street or you risk getting a parking ticket for non-display of a valid insurance disc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Never mind the disk. For the first time in my life I wouldn't blame someone driving without insurance itself.

coylemj wrote: »
    In the meantime, do not park on a public street or you risk getting a parking ticket for non-display of a valid insurance disc.

Highly unlikely, traffic wardens can only issue a fine for non display of motor tax and the Gardaí very rarely (if ever) go down the non display of insurance disc route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jesus. wrote: »
    Never mind the disk. For the first time in my life I wouldn't blame someone driving without insurance itself.

Your attitude might change if they smashed into you that resulted in a life changing injury.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your attitude might change if they smashed into you that resulted in a life changing injury.

I know that's the standard response. But things are reaching a critical point. People who've never set a foot out of line are being screwed to the wall. There's only so much folk can take. The current system is unjustifiable, immoral and totally crooked.

Do you disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

coylemj wrote: »

What do you mean by a 'deposit'? Are you waiting for loan approval because you've asked to pay monthly?

If you have an e-mail confirmation of your renewal, print it off and have a copy with you if you're stopped but if you are, then in all probability you'll be given 10 days to produce a valid cert and if you can manage that, you shouldn't hear any more about it.

I paid two months up front and then the other 10 months come off by direct debit. There is no loan approval.

I didn't even get an email confirmation saying I'd paid. Something went tits up on BOI/RSA website and somehow payment went through but then nothing happened. I phoned the same day and was told everything grand stuff would be sent out. At the time I asked for email confirmation to state all was ok and I was told "Don't worry all calls are recorded..." Roll on a few days and still nothing so that's why I called again. Actually phoned yesterday and was told I would get a call back but that didn't happen.

695 euros and they can't even get a bleeding disc out to me. The woman said until I send my proof of no claims they won't issue a disc. Isn't it about time "No Claims" database was set up to track this instead of relying on a piece of paper.

Frustrated by the whole mess up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

No claims system is a classic use case for blockchaim.

Driving without insurance? No I don't agree or condone that.

I hate paying astronomical insurance premiums the same as the next person but driving around with no insurance is not the answer nor should it be condoned as one. Driving uninsured only contributes to the problem rather than solving it. Damages or injuries caused by uninsured drivers are still paid for, just under the MIBI fund which is partially paid for by our premiums. The more the MIBI have to shell out on uninsured drivers the more they look for from your premium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know that's the standard response. But things are reaching a critical point. People who've never set a foot out of line are being screwed to the wall. There's only so much folk can take. The current system is unjustifiable, immoral and totally crooked.

Do you disagree?

Not surprisingly I do.

This isn't an imaginary straw that broke an imaginary camels back. For some reason the pol. docs. haven't issued. A simple phone call and email would clarify if cover is in force or not, and if so the policy number.

If cover is in force I'd insist on the timely production of the docs and disc, and an email of confirmation.

With that printed and in the car I reckon any Garda wouldn't do you for non display.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...The woman said until I send my proof of no claims they won't issue a disc. Isn't it about time "No Claims" database was set up to track this instead of relying on a piece of paper.....

Sorry OP but that's your responsibility and they are right not to issue the docs.

If they did and you never sent in your NCB details where would that leave everything?

Driving without insurance? No I don't agree with that. I hate paying astronomical insurance premiums the same as the next person but driving around with no insurance is not the answer nor should it be condoned as one. Driving uninsured only contributes to the problem rather than solving it. Damages or injuries caused by uninsured drivers are still paid for, just under the MIBI fund which is partially paid for by our premiums. The more the MIBI have to shell out on uninsured drivers the more they look for from your premium.

That's all well and good in principle but how about in practice? Say they told you you can't drive your car next year unless you give them 3 grand, would you accept your fate and give up driving? What about a lone parent in the Countryside living hand to mouth and has been told his/her 15 year old fully NCT'd 1 litre Fiesta is now considered a death trap and they have to pay 3 grand to insure it? What do they do? I'll tell you: Some will do what they have to.

When the powers that be inflict enough misery on people they eventually say enough is enough and take the law into their own hands. Your spiel about MIBI funds and all that other shyte is irrelevant to people who're at their wits end with bills practically crippling them. Its abstract drivel and means absolutely zilch to real people in real hard times (no offence meant mate).

That's all well and good in principle but how about in practice? Say they told you you can't drive your car next year unless you give them 3 grand, would you accept your fate and give up driving? What about a lone parent in the Countryside living hand to mouth and has been told his/her 15 year old fully NCT'd 1 litre Fiesta is now considered a death trap and they have to pay 3 grand to insure it? What do they do? I'll tell you: Some will do what they have to.

When the powers that be inflict enough misery on people they eventually say enough is enough and take the law into their own hands. Your spiel about MIBI funds and all that other shyte is irrelevant to people who're at their wits end with bills practically crippling them. Its abstract drivel and means absolutely zilch to real people in real hard times (no offence meant mate).

Nobody has a divine right to drive Jesus. Running a car was never cheap either.

I feel great sympathy for people who are struggling financially, but anarchy isn't the answer to anyone's problems.

Nobody has a divine right to drive Jesus. Running a car was never cheap either. I feel great sympathy for people who are struggling financially, but anarchy isn't the answer to anyone's problems.
    Running a car was never cheap indeed. What I'm asking is how about when it becomes extortionate? What would you do, roll over and have your belly tickled?

Honestly I do sometimes wonder about the slavishness of our citizenry

Running a car was never cheap indeed. What I'm asking is how about when it becomes extortionate? What would you do, roll over and have your belly tickled?

Honestly I do sometimes wonder about the slavishness of our citizenry

It's not extortionate for me at least. I pay about €500 p/a on a quickish new car worth c.€30000.

If it became a massive issue I'd shop around, and if I still could not afford it I'd have to make some major changes.

I'd never drive uninsured.

How does those driving uninsured solve the problem though? Eventually they will get caught or have an accident, once prosecuted and convicted will probably never get or afford insurance again. How will that affect them getting to work? As I said two wrong never make a right. All that happens is the saps that pay their premiums just end up paying more and the cycle continues.

Also how did people cope years ago when they couldn't afford a car back then. Lots of people didn't have a car before the Celtic Tiger days.

How does those driving uninsured solve the problem though? Eventually they will get caught or have an accident, once prosecuted and convicted will probably never get or afford insurance again.
    Not necessarily
    As I said two wrong never make a right.
    Nonsense. They often do.
    All that happens is the saps that pay their premiums just end up paying more and the cycle continues.
    Saps indeed. I feel like one myself. Which was it though, the chicken or the egg?
    Also how did people cope years ago when they couldn't afford a car back then. Lots of people didn't have a car before the Celtic Tiger days.
    If the best we can aspire to is the heady days of 80's Ireland then Christ help us

Not necessarily
    Nonsense. They often do.

I'm a strong believer in karma. Complacency and foolishness eventually reap what they sow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

GM228 wrote: »
    Legally you don't need to display a disc for the first 10 days of a new policy, after 10 days you do and legislation dosn't allow for clerical errors, but generally once you show proof of insurance within 10 days of being stopped your OK as very rarely do the Gardaí do people for non display, they usually go down the uninsured route.

Can you put a link to this 10 day thing ?! Never heard of that ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I feel great sympathy for people who are struggling financially, but anarchy isn't the answer to anyone's problems.
    Nobody has a divine right to a roof over their head or to afford enough food to eat. Yet these things are generally acknowledged as necessities for survival and so society provides assistance for those struggling to achieve them. Now driving isn't in that league for most people but is for some, especially those who do live in rural areas and rely on a car to enable them to work and to get to places where they can purchase food and clothing etc. If these people are being priced out of driving a car, then is it good enough to simply say they don't have a divine right to drive?

Obviously two wrongs don't make a right and I'm not condoning driving uninsured. But it should be acknowledged that the system concerning insurance has become both dysfunctional and unsustainable, rather than producing rhetoric like "nobody has a divine right to drive". It creates the impression that there isn't a problem when there most certainly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Driving without insurance? No I don't agree or condone that.

I hate paying astronomical insurance premiums the same as the next person but driving around with no insurance is not the answer nor should it be condoned as one. Driving uninsured only contributes to the problem rather than solving it. Damages or injuries caused by uninsured drivers are still paid for, just under the MIBI fund which is partially paid for by our premiums. The more the MIBI have to shell out on uninsured drivers the more they look for from your premium.

We both might think that's how it should be, and no one should drive uninsured, but reality is different.

Ireland probably had one of the highest percentage of uninsured drivers on the roads in Europe...
    I recall reading somewhere, it was around 6%, meaning every 6 cars out of 100 are uninsured.
    Imagine that. In heavy traffic on national road, you pass about 100 oncoming cars every minute. That just means every minute you just passed 6 uninsured drivers....

Fact is that plenty of people here in Ireland driver uninsured for following reasons.

1. Price of insurance is prohibitiv - so they can't afford it.
    2. There is no enforcement - so they can get away with it.
    3. There is no system to force people to be insured at all times.

I personally know many people who drive uninsured for years, and they get away with it.

Like it or not, but that's what it is.

Can you put a link to this 10 day thing ?! Never heard of that ..

Section 5 (1) of the Road Traffic (Insurance Disc) Regulations 1984.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1984/si/355/made/en/print
    5. (1) When a vehicle is used in a public place the insurance disc for the vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times after the expiry of 10 days from the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance.

Canadel wrote:
    Nobody has a divine right to a roof over their head or to afford enough food to eat. Yet these things are generally acknowledged as necessities for survival and so society provides assistance for those struggling to achieve them. Now driving isn't in that league for most people but is for some, especially those who do live in rural areas and rely on a car to enable them to work and to get to places where they can purchase food and clothing etc. If these people are being priced out of driving a car, then is it good enough to simply say they don't have a divine right to drive?

Motor insurance has become more expensive recently after years of relatively low premiums and a soft market. It's not prohibitively expensive either. Some pay a lot more for it, but it was always that way.

So yes if anyone can't afford to run a car they shouldn't drive.

Beyond that I don't have the answer to people's transport issues.

Motor insurance has become more expensive recently after years of relatively low premiums and a soft market. It's not prohibitively expensive either. Some pay a lot more for it, but it was always that way.

People with perfectly fine older cars are now being charged in the thousands. Just because you can afford a new car and therefore reasonable insurance doesn't mean that all is right with the World. "Some pay a lot more for it" but so what. As long as you're okay eh?
    So yes if anyone can't afford to run a car they shouldn't drive.
    Very altruistic of you
    It's not extortionate for me at least. I pay about €500 p/a on a quickish new car worth c.€30000.

Jesus. wrote:
    People with perfectly fine older cars are now being charged in the thousands. Just because you can afford a new car and therefore reasonable insurance doesn't mean that all is right with the World. "Some pay a lot more for it" but so what. As long as you're okay eh?

No you've attempted to move the goalposts there, but failed.

I can't speak for insurers but if they decide those older cars are higher risk it seems fair enough. If they weren't there be a niche in the market which would be filled.

The cost of an average motor policy must be less than a years tax, servicing, and new tyres and brakes.

Should these be optional too if you're a bit short of money?

p.s. I pay a reasonable premium now, but paid through the nose as a new driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

I paid two months up front and then the other 10 months come off by direct debit. There is no loan approval.

I didn't even get an email confirmation saying I'd paid. Something went tits up on BOI/RSA website and somehow payment went through but then nothing happened. I phoned the same day and was told everything grand stuff would be sent out. At the time I asked for email confirmation to state all was ok and I was told "Don't worry all calls are recorded..." Roll on a few days and still nothing so that's why I called again. Actually phoned yesterday and was told I would get a call back but that didn't happen.

695 euros and they can't even get a bleeding disc out to me. The woman said until I send my proof of no claims they won't issue a disc. Isn't it about time "No Claims" database was set up to track this instead of relying on a piece of paper.

Frustrated by the whole mess up.

Find out everything that they need.
    They might want a copy of your license too.
    I read somewhere that someone had their insurance policy cancelled because the insurance company issued a temporary short term disc/cert and they never realised they needed to send in their NCB or license until it was too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Surely Jesus does have a divine right to do whatever he pleases, no?

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Surely Jesus does have a divine right to do whatever he pleases, no?

Not this particular Jesus.

• Advertisement

I can't speak for insurers but if they decide those older cars are higher risk it seems fair enough. If they weren't there be a niche in the market which would be filled.

Well you are without doubt the only person on this entire Board (and possibly the whole Country) who believes the ludicrous loading on cars over 10 or 12 years old is reasonable.

Just wondering, if they told you you'd have to pay 10 grand annually from now on to insure any car would you think 'fair enough its time for me to use the busses'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well you are without doubt the only person on this entire Board (and possibly the whole Country) who believes the ludicrous loading on cars over 10 or 12 years old is reasonable.

Just wondering, if they told you you'd have to pay 10 grand annually from now on to insure any car would you think 'fair enough its time for me to use the busses'?

I have posted numerous times the avenues of appeal for being refused insurance based on the age of vehicle.

An insurer that refuses you on this basis has to prove that their reason for refusing is sound and is done with good reason eg because older cars are involved in more accidents / fraudulent cars than newer ones.

Have you or anyone else challaged the decision?

Because when avenues of appeal are there, but people don't use them and instead repeat ad nauseum what crooks insurers are then it just becomes circular and a massive waste of everyone's time.

If insurers are suspected of breaking rules then they absolutely should be taken to task.

Peoples real issue is that motor insurance is a grudge purchase as in they are legally required to have it if they want to drive.

Take health insurance, that's optional, myself and my wife pay over €2000 per annum for ours, have never used it and have only seen it rise.

There are hundreds of thousands that pay the same or more per annum and have seen their prices increase steadily year on year, why aren't they taking to the streets to protest?

Because its optional, people choose to buy it so are at peace with the purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I have posted numerous times the avenues of appeal for being refused insurance based on the age of vehicle.

An insurer that refuses you on this basis has to prove that their reason for refusing is sound and is done with good reason eg because older cars are involved in more accidents / fraudulent cars than newer ones.

Have you or anyone else challaged the decision?

Because when avenues of appeal are there, but people don't use them and instead repeat ad nauseum what crooks insurers are then it just becomes circular and a massive waste of everyone's time.

If insurers are suspected of breaking rules then they absolutely should be taken to task.

Peoples real issue is that motor insurance is a grudge purchase as in they are legally required to have it if they want to drive.

Take health insurance, that's optional, myself and my wife pay over €2000 per annum for ours, have never used it and have only seen it rise.

There are hundreds of thousands that pay the same or more per annum and have seen their prices increase steadily year on year, why aren't they taking to the streets to protest?

Because its optional, people choose to buy it so are at peace with the purchase.

I suppose the fact that the terms and conditions for being offered health insurance are pretty straightforward and sensible help a great deal.

"Thou shalt only be offered insurance if you were born while mercury was in retrograde and the ambient temperature was an arbitrary and changeable year on year value. Do not get sick on a Wednesday." would have people complaining very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I got a letter from BOI stating they got my deposit and have a policy number. It's something to keep in the car until the disc arrives. Sending NCB today as they need original not scanned copy.

I suppose the fact that the terms and conditions for being offered health insurance are pretty straightforward and sensible help a great deal.

"Thou shalt only be offered insurance if you were born while mercury was in retrograde and the ambient temperature was an arbitrary and changeable year on year value. Do not get sick on a Wednesday." would have people complaining very quickly.

The ts & cs of health insurance are every bit as onerous as motor insurance.

More so I would say.

More so I would say.
    So a person living in donegal, working as a farmer pays more or less than a person living in Wexford working in a nursery?

I'm talking about straightforward sign up ("mild performance enhancing audio or visual modifications? Not a chance!" Not heard very often is it haha), and transparent costs. Versus very very very arbitrary and random. Not strict versus lax.

By the way... In the locked thread you never did come out for one side or the other on the "third party extension" trumps "named driver" thing, just called anyone who questioned it a muppet. Any chance you could clarify?

• Advertisement

More so I would say.

I don't recall being asked very specific details of diet, exercise habits, etc etc when trying to get a price for health insurance?

I don't see health insurers explicitly/implicitly refusing to insure people who aren't within 10% of a vegan yoga teacher from mayo with a perfect body fat ratio.

To say that the rigmarole you go through to get car insurance is no more onerous and inconsistent than the process for health insurance (join multinational company, answer 3 questions,done).... well, I won't steal your catchphrase...

So a person living in donegal, working as a farmer pays more or less than a person living in Wexford working in a nursery?

I'm talking about straightforward sign up ("mild performance enhancing audio or visual modifications? Not a chance!" Not heard very often is it haha), and transparent costs. Versus very very very arbitrary and random. Not strict versus lax.

By the way... In the locked thread you never did come out for one side or the other on the "third party extension" trumps "named driver" thing, just called anyone who questioned it a muppet. Any chance you could clarify?

I'm not here to pander to you.

I don't recall being asked very specific details of diet, exercise habits, etc etc when trying to get a price for health insurance?

I don't see health insurers explicitly/implicitly refusing to insure people who aren't within 10% of a vegan yoga teacher from mayo with a perfect body fat ratio.

To say that the rigmarole you go through to get car insurance is no more onerous and inconsistent than the process for health insurance (join multinational company, answer 3 questions,done).... well, I won't steal your catchphrase...

OK, what about a loading for people over 35 that never held health insurance?

If you had a minor accident 10 years ago it makes no odds to your motor insurance.

If you had a minor heart attack 10 years ago then you bet your bottom dollar it would matter to a health insurer at the time of a claim.

The terms and conditions of health insurance are very wide in scope and depending on what level of cover you have you may not be covered for what ails you.

The terms and conditions of motor insurance are relatively straight forward, if you have comp cover and have complied with the terms and conditions of the agreement then there is never an issue.

I'm not here to pander to you.
    That's fine.
    You make an assertion that those who pay health insurance without question, but make noises about the wild and varying quote processes and resulting quotes for car insurance are wrong to do that.

Leaving that assertion unchallenged is the same as agreeing with it. I'll continue to point out the flaws, and you can continue to lalalala.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The reason you weren't asked detailed questions for health insurance is because premiums are community-based in Ireland so everyone pays the same. The LCR change last year introduced a 2% per year loading based on age.

A better comparison would be a risk-based insurance class such as Life Insurance.

• Advertisement

The reason you weren't asked detailed questions for health insurance is because premiums are community-based in Ireland so everyone pays the same. The LCR change last year introduced a 2% per year loading based on age.

I didn't bring health insurance into the equation.
    You have the right answer to someone else's post I'm sure. Maybe you meant to tell insurance cat that he was making the wrong comparison.

Here is a paraphrased summary of the actual matter here, if you're interested.

One of our resident insurance experts again implied that we are all some class of eejit for moaning about car insurance while paying health insurance without question.

I said something to the effect of " if we had to jump through 44 hoops with 44 companies to get quotes varying by 5k we'd complain about health insurance too"

Then he said "hawhaw you cretinous peasant health insurance is no more onerous than car insurance to sign up for"

And I said he was wrong.
    Then you told me I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I was only trying to explain, in case you didn't already know, why:

was the case.

As for the rest of it, I'll bow out of any argument you may be having with other posters.

I was only trying to explain, in case you didn't already know, why:

was the case.

As for the rest of it, I'll bow out of any argument you may be having with other posters.

I was only trying to explain the difference between signing up for health insurance versus the "being beaten with rubber hoses" type fun that is finding a decent car insurance quote.

It's probably for the best that you bow out if you're having trouble with the obvious reasons for people detesting the annual search for car insurance quotes versus just coughing up for health insurance.

V.I. Lenin… Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov Donny!

Jesus. wrote:

Jesus. wrote:

Arguable. Just because folk don't like something doesn't mean it's ludicrous.

Your second para is a strawman and isn't worth answering.

Xcellor wrote:
    I got a letter from BOI stating they got my deposit and have a policy number. It's something to keep in the car until the disc arrives. Sending NCB today as they need original not scanned copy.

Did they confirm cover though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement