Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Moses Basket

Options
  • 23-06-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had some advice.

We bought a moses basket from a UK store (along with a matching sheet set for our crib). UK shipping was free or there was a €10 surcharge to ship to Ireland.

When the basket arrived it was badly damaged serveral of the spinals were cracked and missing paint (may have happened in transit), but there the sheet was that came as part of the set which was filthy, the crib handles were badly marked, there was a large spider web in the hood and there was several scrapped on the hood, which definitely didn't. The mattress was not wrapped and all the wooden splinters from the moses basket were covering the mattress.

Anyway after a phone call, and email and sending several images they agreed to refund the item, I told them I also wanted to return the matching sheet sets as one was pointless without the other. They reluctantly agreed.

But are refusing to refund the surcharge as we received the service of delivery. Are we entitled to this back? Surely we shouldn't be out of pocket for them sending a faulty item or they are arguing that it was damaged in transit?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If the item was received defective then you should not be at a loss by the return, so shipping should be refunded also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

If the item was received defective then you should not be at a loss by the return, so shipping should be refunded also.

I said this, but they said the item was damaged during transit and was not their fault...They said I paid the surcharge for the item I got delivered therefor received that service mad.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, they are responsible for shipping and it is they who had the contract with the delivery company so they can deal with them regarding the damage, if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reverse the credit card transaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Under EU distance selling rules, where the item is faulty, the entire cost if the transaction is refunded.

If it was 2018 when Britain is out of the EU, they could do what they like, but until then, even if they voted leave, they have to abide by the law. :)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Reverse the credit card transaction

How would I do that please?

VincePP wrote: »
    Under EU distance selling rules, where the item is faulty, the entire cost if the transaction is refunded.

If it was 2018 when Britain is out of the EU, they could do what they like, but until then, even if they voted leave, they have to abide by the law. :)

They've refused point blank. Said its their policy as I recieved the service of the actual delivery and they're doing me a favour letting me send back the sheet set ( which I only bought to match the crib )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If they're refusing to engage, contact your credit card provider to request a chargeback. Secondly, as they're based in the UK, you can report them to the relevant Ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

stickybean wrote: »
    They've refused point blank. Said its their policy as I recieved the service of the actual delivery and they're doing me a favour letting me send back the sheet set ( which I only bought to match the crib )

If it was change of mind, then they'd be right, but as it item was faulty they must under eu selling regulations, refund the full cost of the transaction.

They obviously have not checked the issues with selling abroad.

Advertisement