Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need recommendations for a car. Details within.

• 23-06-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Basically, I need a car. I've my learner permit and for my upcoming birthday I was planning on getting driving lessons. However, both my parents cars are unsuitable for me to learn in (Mam has a seven seater with no hand break, Dad has a jeep which is too big).

I've been suggesting to my Mam for ages that she buy me a cheap little car too learn in (no more than a couple of hundred euro). She told me to have a look online and here's where I need your help.

Basically, I have NO idea about cars. Like zero knowledge. So basically, my question for you is what type of second hand car should I be looking for in order to learn to drive?

I honestly do not care what it looks like, I just want a car that will allow me to get the cheapest insurance possible for myself (as I understand it's easier for a 17 y/o male to get insured in smaller car with a smaller engine than a bigger car with a bigger engine).

Does anyone have sites I could browse on as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a million different posts about insurance on this site alone and the industry changes more often than I change my socks so the best thing is to pick a couple of sample cars, put on a pot of coffee and just call around. I suggest something like a 1.0 Polo or Yaris and a 1.4 Golf/ Astra/ Corolla. I think the Mazda 323F 1.3 hatch is one of the ideal first cars.

The very least you're going to spend on a serviceable compact car is roughly a grand if you're not fussy and get help from experts.

The first thing I'd say is that you might be better off to get your mother's car fixed and use that. Assuming you're talking about an Opel Zafira or an estate car, in my opinion, there is barely any extra learning in that rather than something smaller. I think the sitting position and visibility would be an advantage if anything and in terms of the overall vehicle dimensions, there isn't that much difference compared to a decent hatchback most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's a million different posts about insurance on this site alone and the industry changes more often than I change my socks so the best thing is to pick a couple of sample cars, put on a pot of coffee and just call around. I suggest something like a 1.0 Polo or Yaris and a 1.4 Golf/ Astra/ Corolla. I think the Mazda 323F 1.3 hatch is one of the ideal first cars.

The very least you're going to spend on a serviceable compact car is roughly a grand if you're not fussy and get help from experts.

The first thing I'd say is that you might be better off to get your mother's car fixed and use that. Assuming you're talking about an Opel Zafira or an estate car, in my opinion, there is barely any extra learning in that rather than something smaller. I think the sitting position and visibility would be an advantage if anything and in terms of the overall vehicle dimensions, there isn't that much difference compared to a decent hatchback most of the time.

I agree with above poster. Learn on one of your parents cars. The insurance will be a hell of a lot cheaper as you'll only be a named driver on one of your parents policies.

Secondly, you're only going to get a heap of junk if you're only willing to spend a few hundred quid, which will no doubt needs fair amount of work put into it . On top of that, such a car would most likely be an older car which would be hard enough for a fully licenced driver with years experience to find a good quote, let alone someone on a learner's permit. If you're dead set on your own car, I'd recommend going to a dealer and be willing to spend 1200 quid at a minimum. Buying from a dealer might be a bit more expensive, but there's a far better chance that the vehicle will be in a somewhat more roadworthy condition. I'm generalising slightly but I think what I said holds true in the vast majority of cases.

If you have the option of going with either of your parents cars, you should absolutely take it. Between the initial price of the car, preparing it for nct, the nct itself, tax, insurance and any unplanned expenditure you'd quite easily
    be looking at 5000 for your first year of driving, and I don't think that's any exaggeration !

I'd check how much it would cost you to get named on your father's insurance, and then think about buying later down the line.

Advertisement