Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocking down a wall

Options
  • 23-06-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking to buy a house in dublin which is an ex council house. Standard size 85 m2 approx. It has the usual lay out, 2 reception rooms on the left hand side, one at the front and one at the back and one tiny kitchen on the right hand side. Obviously the wall in between the back room and the kitchen will need to be knocked down to create an open kitchen diner and maybe a support beam put in. How much will this cost me? I know that people cannot give an exact amount and it is approx but I need to see if I can afford it. Cost of the new kitchen not included. Kind thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wesser wrote: »
    So I'm looking to buy a house in dublin which is an ex council house. Standard size 85 m2 approx. It has the usual lay out, 2 reception rooms on the left hand side, one at the front and one at the back and one tiny kitchen on the right hand side. Obviously the wall in between the back room and the kitchen will need to be knocked down to create an open kitchen diner and maybe a support beam put in. How much will this cost me? I know that people cannot give an exact amount and it is approx but I need to see if I can afford it. Cost of the new kitchen not included. Kind thanks in advance.

3-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Wesser wrote: »

€400-500 approx to knock the wall , plaster and put in new skirting boards, concrete lintel is all you'll need for support as I'm guessing its a partion wall and unlikely a retaining wall. Factor in the cost of relocating radiators and new pipes and your talking about €900 all in.

€400-500 approx to knock the wall , plaster and put in new skirting boards, concrete lintel is all you'll need for support as I'm guessing its a partion wall and unlikely a retaining wall. Factor in the cost of relocating radiators and new pipes and your talking about €900 all in.

Good luck getting it done for that!
    How can you say a precast lintel will suffice without knowing the span? How will the lintel bear onto the other walls? How will you connect the joists that are currently supported by the wall?

I'm guessing that it's not a partition wall, and it's certainly not a retaining wall ;), most likely a load bearing wall carrying the joists above if the typical council house in my experience is anything to go by.

kceire wrote: »
    Good luck getting it done for that!
    How can you say a precast lintel will suffice without knowing the span? How will the lintel bear onto the other walls? How will you connect the joists that are currently supported by the wall?

I'm guessing that it's not a partition wall, and it's certainly not a retaining wall ;), most likely a load bearing wall carrying the joists above if the typical council house in my experience is anything to go by.

Having had a similar job done myself and having asked people living in typical council houses.

Having had a similar job done myself and having asked people living in typical council houses.

That's fair enough.
    It's a 50/50 gamble on which one of us is correct as we don't know if it's a non load bearing wall or a load bearing wall.

If it's load bearing, expect a figure in or around what I quoted.
    If it's not load bearing then your figures are correct.

Hopefully the OP will update when he gets the work done :)

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    That's fair enough.
    It's a 50/50 gamble on which one of us is correct as we don't know if it's a non load bearing wall or a load bearing wall.

If it's load bearing, expect a figure in or around what I quoted.
    If it's not load bearing then your figures are correct.

Hopefully the OP will update when he gets the work done :)

Agreed,if it's load bearing will be significant.Meant to say load bearing wall as opposed to retaining earlier ( Damn Trappist monks and their fine beer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Ha ha! Thanks for your help. Have to
    Buy the bloody house first!!

Advertisement