Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good deal on an oil service or full service

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's fine.

p.s. I'd be wary of any attempted "add ons" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What kind of car??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The oil may not meet your spec, could be additional €20 or so to get proper spec.
    Based on 10W40 oil, should your vehicle require other graded oil then a surcharge for that oil will apply at a cost of €5 per litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Went into this crowd about 7 or 8 years ago for their free nct precheck.

They said the car needed about €400 spent on suspension parts though it was rather low mileage in order to pass the nct.
    Stuck it in as it was 2 weeks later and it passed without any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They also don't replace the air filter which is strange... I'd avoid anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Advance are fine. As said above, if it needs some other oil than 10w40 there is a surcharge f €5 a litre.

Just be careful on the oil grade.You will hear some say "shur oil is oil"in some engines it may not make a big difference but in others it can cause serious issues.Take the 1.6hdi psa engine found in quite a few cars out there,if you start using the wrong oil in that it will most likely cost you a turbo.

They also don't replace the air filter which is strange... I'd avoid anyway.

Its advertised as an interim service, oil and oil filter.

I used to do my own up to 2 years ago.I like to know my car is getting the correct,good quality oil and oe filter.
    Now I buy the oil and filter and my local mechanic does it on his ramp,charges me €20.
    Much less hassle and saves getting oil all over me and the drive,having a ramp and an oil catch trolley makes it so easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The oil may not meet your spec, could be additional €20 or so to get proper spec.

Hence my question on make/model as they could fill a modern diesel with that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Truckermal wrote: »
    Hence my question on make/model as they could fill a modern diesel with that stuff.

Thanks for the reply folks. Its a honda civic petrol 1.4 litre

billyhead wrote: »

Depending on the year I think 10w40 might be the correct grade for a 1.4 petrol civic.There are oil checkers on the likes of the castrol website to be sure.

I just would be reluctant to bring my car into advance,from my own experience and many horror stories I have heard.A local indie would prob do an oil change for in and around the same money.

billyhead wrote: »

They will let you know what oil it needs anyway if you book with them as they refer to Autodata which provides manufacturers specifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just expect to be told your car needs new tyres, brake pads, shocks, etc. These are get you in the door offers to upsell you other stuff as these places don't survive on just offering €60 oil changes on Groupon alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If you've a diesel with a dpf, then the wrong engine oil will cause increased ash in the dpf.

Which will cost more money in the long run.

Proper oil changes, earlier than manufacturer recommendations has caused me many years of problem free driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I have had many many personal bad experiences with Advance in various branches I'm not going to go bashing them here but if you want to pm me I can fill you in op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Minimum oil spec for an ivtec civic is 10w40 mineral oil, but I've been putting 5w40 fully synth in mine for years and it's generally accepted that this is a better option.

Can't argue with €59 TBH, but those guys are vultures, they will tell you your car needs lots of extra things.

You can pick up an air filter in a motor factors for around €10. Simple DIY job.

If I were you I'd find a good local independent mechanic who you can trust (ask around) who will keep your car in good nick. Basic services like this exclude things like spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter etc

Advertisement